Top Albums in 2018 So Far

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DiscoHeaven23
24 minutes ago, Matangi said:

I cannot handle that Gagadaily for some reason can't comprehend hip-hop and R&B is can dominating the current wave of popular music. It literally doesn't click here as something valid.

If you look at these albums, and the same from any of the past decade, the artists have roughly the same artistic merit and acclaim, some are great artists, vocalists, and writers, others are somewhat mediocre ones pushed by labels ===>> literally popular music as usual.

The thing is, they are just shifting from what the demographic on this particular site adores; which is dance/pop made by (most often white) women. Hip-hop music is dominating right now, Latin music is dominating, the zeitgeist shifts sometimes.

Step outside of yourself and see that your taste in pop music may take a couple years to resurge.

14 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Yup. And thats not going to change unless this fanbase gets off its high horse and stops hating streaming. Let’s get out of 2010 and start streaming your music instead of just buying it individually and then your tastes of pop will be reflected on the charts.

Not saying that’ll change a lot but it’ll be something. Hip-Hop/Urban is clearly still dominant as it was from 2003 - 2008.

I hear you guys on this.

My opinion of what happened, from what I observed, is that straight males seemed to listen to illegally downloaded music more back in the digital sales era (lates'00s/first half of 10's). Oddly enough the demographic that listens to hip-hop the most is *straight* white men (numbers wise, these are statistical facts that can be found online). And from personal experience these were the people i'd see listening to illegally downloaded music the most.

So what i think happened is that streaming services gave these listeners a place to listen to the music they like without doing it illegally. A place where they wouldn't have to pay or just pay a small monthly fee. 

So kinda like hip-hop was always really big (like it was in the first half of the 00s), its just that in the digital era (again late 00s-first half of 10s), hip-hop listeners numbers were ignored because many of them were listening to it illegally and it was not being tracked. 

Thomas P
4 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

I hear you guys on this.

My opinion of what happened, from what I observed, is that straight males seemed to listen to illegally downloaded music more back in the digital sales era (lates'00s/first half of 10's). Oddly enough the demographic that listens to hip-hop the most is *straight* white men (numbers wise, these are statistical facts that can be found online). And from personal experience these were the people i'd see listening to illegally downloaded music the most.

So what i think happened is that streaming services gave these listeners a place to listen to the music they like without doing it illegally. A place where they wouldn't have to pay or just pay a small monthly fee. 

So kinda like hip-hop was always really big (like it was in the first half of the 00s), its just that in the digital era (again late 00s-first half of 10s), hip-hop listeners numbers were ignored because many of them were listening to it illegally and it was not being tracked. 

Another reason straight white domination is gonna ruin the world

Spoiler

Jk 😚

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Matangi
8 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

I hear you guys on this.

That's just not true, hip-hop dominated music in a similar way in the early 2000's, and is only an even bigger and more recognized genre today. Eminem was literally the best selling artist of the decade across all genres, especially the early 2000's. I think it has much more to do with the social climate of the general public especially during conservative presidencies and a more tumultuous political world. Now I think streaming did change to represent more of who plays music overall cause it's naturally more accessible than buying albums or songs, I agree. But that's not it fully IMO.

DiscoHeaven23
3 minutes ago, Matangi said:

That's just not true, hip-hop dominated music in a similar way in the early 2000's, and is only an even bigger and more recognized genre today. I think it has much more to do with the social climate of the general public especially during conservative presidencies and a more tumultuous political world.

wait, that's exactly what I'm saying lol.

hip-hop dominated in the early 2000s and its dominance only SEEMINGLY went away for a bit from like 2008-2015 because of the rise of illegally downloaded music. and now streaming gives those who used to listen to music illegally, a place to listen to music legally. So now their listens are being tracked.

EDIT: ohhh wait,i think i see the point ur trying to make, nvm lol

Matangi
1 minute ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

wait, that's exactly what I'm saying lol.

hip-hop dominated in the early 2000s and its dominance only SEEMINGLY went away for a bit from like 2008-2015 because of the rise of illegally downloaded music. and now streaming gives those who used to listen to music illegally, a place to listen to music legally. So now their listens are being tracked.

AH, I hear you, that makes sense. But I mean that I think hip-hop naturally just dominated more overall socially in the two intervals of early 2000's and post 2016.

Irrelevant

Sweetener better slay

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Oyster

Although not pop music like all of you probably want (and it’s kinda ridiculous how so many people on this site think pop music is the only good music), these are very solid efforts by some pretty talented hip hop artists. I stan 

Original Diva
5 hours ago, VoldeLorde2 said:

I expect TGS numbers for ASIB

I wouldn't if I were you

excuse me no

Sebastiaan De Graaf

Camila is okay and Reputation is a very good album in my opinion but yes, we need some more pop girls to come back and slay the game:neyde:

Archived