Lady Gagain Vegas
🎤 Use code GAGAVEGAS at SeatGeek.com to get $20 off tickets 🎤
society

Sweden is battling a historic wildfire outbreak

Featured Posts

Bellatrix

The month of May this year became the hottest individual May since records began 150 years ago. June got a little better, but now the extreme heat is back with around 30 degrees Celsius in many parts of Sweden. It has caused a huge drought as there has been lack of rain over the past months, which is causing problems for the farmers. Problems so big that the government is considering state assistance for farmers struggling with the conditions.

The drought has also lead to big wildfires. The first ones began already in May and currently there are about 60 fires, making it the most serious wildfire situation of modern times.

Firefighters are working tirelessly to try to contain and extinguish the fires, with the Armed Forces assisting in some instances, but weather conditions haven't made life easy for them, and personnel numbers are stretched.
Even other countries are offering help. Norway sent six helicopters to extinguish blazes from above, and firefighting planes have also been called in from Italy to help for an eight day period.

Trump would call it fake news, but the climate change is happening.

https://www.thelocal.se/20180717/sweden-battles-most-serious-wildfire-situation-of-modern-times-heres-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.thelocal.se/20180717/italian-water-bombers-to-help-fight-wildfires-in-sweden

Current map of all the fires:

632@60.jpg

Edited by Bellatrix
He knows how to play! Itty bitty baby Potter
  • Sad 13

River

Damn, I hope everyone will be ok and no one will die.

Poor animals 😭

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • Sad 1

LADYGAGASHOOCK

Yeah, this is terrifying:ohno: and it’s hot as hell:neyde:

My friends wanted me to try a face mask for the first time yesterday while we sunbathed. I tried it on and after like 30 minutes, the mask had turned into like cake batter and started harden on my face because of how hot it was:selena::poot:

Andreu

Omg this is so Worrying

Hpping for rain soon

AviciiDaily

Bellatrix
2 minutes ago, thickandpetite said:

Oh wow, why aren't the news covering this up? 

I guess they prefer talking about Trump and Putin, who cares about the climate when those two clowns meet? :selena: 

• Like 2

Miracle

Thirty degrees don't seem like extreme heat to me but it is in Sweden. :/

ArtGagaPop
22 minutes ago, Miracle said:

Thirty degrees don't seem like extreme heat to me but it is in Sweden. :/

We usually only have like around 20 degrees in the summer and around 30 only a few days per year. But the heat isn't really the problem, it hasn't rained properly for months so everything is so damn dry right now, making it much easier for a fire to start. 

Edited by ArtGagaPop
  • Like 1

Gov Hooka

climate change will be the death of all of us. Carpe diem yall. 

• Like 1

Henri Bardot

This summer's been "chill" in Europe. 

At least where I live the maximum temperature has been 30°C this year (on previous years it was 35° or so, several days). 

The problem is that it hasn't rained in like a month, and on previous months it was not enough... something completely strange in summer.

Hope this fire gets controlled soon. :ohno:

boys don't cry

StarryNight

I wasn't looking weather in Europe but I'm not surprised, here in the south is literally opposite it's raining every 2 days.

Son of ARTPOP

Meanwhile in South Europe it's literally the coldest, most rainy super atypical summer in at least a decade. We're supposed to have temperatures at around 33-38º but we're stuck at 22-26 like WTF. And for the past 2 months the days without rain are no more than ten. A Reverse European Expedition? :madge:

Taide

Same thing at Finland. The heat is killing me. I’m fine with 20-25 degrees celcius but 30-33 is just too much for a city that is so north I barely see sunlight in winter.

Bellatrix

We got some rain today in the afternoon, but far from enough :giveup:

The first Italian firefighting plane arrived at noon today and also France is sending two planes.
Europe is amazing when we work together. Can't believe there are people who wants to leave the EU and have less collaboration between the countries.

• Like 1

babysatan

If i’m not wrong there are 6 current fires right now. It finally started raining yesterday but it has been really hot the last couple of months. The grass is basically hay at this point here in Sweden