Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Empty stadium for Beyoncé & Jay Z 2nd night in Paris

Monsterious

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond
6 hours ago, Born To Slay said:

Lemonade was released in 2016 while ARTPOP was released in 2013. I think it does be more fair to compare ST to ARTPOP or Joanne to Lemonade. 

Yes, but regardless of timeline, Lemonade was hyped as a mega hit when it maybe just sold about 3 million copies worldwide. Remember that was just 2 years after Ed Sheeran's X album and one year after Adele's 25 album, which sold more. While 3 million is nothing to be sneezed at in the difficult music market, are we really supposed to take 3 million as some sort of extraordinary achievement when there were bigger hits just before it? I'm saying that it's very unfair that an album selling similar numbers to an album that got a bad reception ends up getting a favourable twist added to it purely because the public had a better view of the artist at the time. I must also add that Lemonade is, I believe, Beyonce's worst selling album, but it's treated as the exact opposite. I was shocked to discover that only 2 of her 6 albums have sold 1 million copies in the UK. Dangerously In Love, despite being released in 2003, when she was younger and in her prime, before illegal downloading had taken off, only sold 1.2 million copies in the UK and Sasha Fierce sold 1.6 million (and that's with standard and deluxe put together). Other than that, she's always been under the 1 million mark every time. Lemonade only sold 334k in the UK and understand that this is barely platinum status - you only need 300k to get platinum. So, despite it being the bare minimum for a hit and not even producing so much as a top ten single, it was bigged up as a huge smash, and this was the same outlook all over the world. No one else would get treated as a major success if they had an album that didn't have any hit singles and only sold 3 million. Her success is clearly inflated to keep the public interested and keep them paying to see her tours so at least that source of income is good. The woman is all PR spin to paint a picture that she wants as opposed to reality.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/20/2018 at 12:19 AM, StrawberryBlond said:

Yes, but regardless of timeline, Lemonade was hyped as a mega hit when it maybe just sold about 3 million copies worldwide. Remember that was just 2 years after Ed Sheeran's X album and one year after Adele's 25 album, which sold more. While 3 million is nothing to be sneezed at in the difficult music market, are we really supposed to take 3 million as some sort of extraordinary achievement when there were bigger hits just before it? I'm saying that it's very unfair that an album selling similar numbers to an album that got a bad reception ends up getting a favourable twist added to it purely because the public had a better view of the artist at the time. I must also add that Lemonade is, I believe, Beyonce's worst selling album, but it's treated as the exact opposite. I was shocked to discover that only 2 of her 6 albums have sold 1 million copies in the UK. Dangerously In Love, despite being released in 2003, when she was younger and in her prime, before illegal downloading had taken off, only sold 1.2 million copies in the UK and Sasha Fierce sold 1.6 million (and that's with standard and deluxe put together). Other than that, she's always been under the 1 million mark every time. Lemonade only sold 334k in the UK and understand that this is barely platinum status - you only need 300k to get platinum. So, despite it being the bare minimum for a hit and not even producing so much as a top ten single, it was bigged up as a huge smash, and this was the same outlook all over the world. No one else would get treated as a major success if they had an album that didn't have any hit singles and only sold 3 million. Her success is clearly inflated to keep the public interested and keep them paying to see her tours so at least that source of income is good. The woman is all PR spin to paint a picture that she wants as opposed to reality.

Another reason is that it was the best selling album of 2016. 

Archived