💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

GGD 2nd Original Song Contest: Summer Edition

NIGHTCRAWLER

Featured Posts

LOVE JUNKIE

Just got home and listened to every song :music::applause: I'm honestly really impressed and inspired  :heart:  For anyone saying they're embarrassed of their work, don't be! I know for me personally I'll be judging based on originality, concept, inspiration etc. not just on how "professional" or perfect the song sounds. I don't think most of us had enough time to execute our songs perfectly so I'm not going to hold that against anyone. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses so I think it's important that we all listen to the songs as much as possible over the next couple of weeks and really appreciate what everyone brought to the table. I can truly say I've gained a lot of insight about my own work from listening to all of yours! Thank you for that :hug: I can't wait to tell you all about my inspirations for "Ivy" 🌿🍃🌱 and I can't wait to hear about yours for your own songs :party:

on a three day bender
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 4

tomsches

So let me tell you about my song - "Marshall's Beach"

General Style:

In general my style has always been a blend of electronic and organic music. I've been "producing" music since I was 18 and I have been creating little projects that I would call my albums ever since. The basic blue print always was to use elements of Indie rock and combine them with synths to give my songs a modern touch, kind of like Kate Bush in her mid 2000s. In most cases though, the guitars and bass, so the "typical" rock band instruments, were in the foreground, whereas the electronic aspects were kept in the background. 

Inspiration for "Marshall's Beach" SOUND:

Overall, I had written like 7 albums since I was 18 and I for each album I had thought of a different sound concept. Like, different instrumentations, etc. But after about 8 years of writing music, I wanted to try something new, something fresh, a genre that I hadn't explored. And so i thought of Synth-Pop. That's why the song sounds completely different from what I normally do. It's much more "poppy" and danceable, which is very unusual for me. Also, this time, the clear focus are the synths, while the guitars are only in the background to give it a summery vibe. 

Concerning my voice, up until now, the technique I used to alter my voice was adding A LOT of reverb and echo. I kind of used to imitate Grimes's style. But again, I wanted to try something new. So I got rid of the dream-pop voice. In general, I don't really like my voice and I don't consider myself a singer, so I wanted to change my voice and use effects to make it sound better. I was trying different things and then I decided to change the pitch of one recording and layer this recording in different pitches to create harmonies. I wanted to sound like my voice actually consisted of 3-4 different voices. Also, I think my voice is soooo deep that it almost sounds like a robot, so I changed the pitch of the layers up an octave. I liked it because this also makes the voice gender-ambiguous.

Throughout the last 8 years, one of my biggest, if not THE biggest inspiration for me are sunsets. A large amount of my songs are inspired by sunsets. So after such a long time of being inspired by the same natural phenomenon, my music didn't start to sound the same, but similar. So I decided to look for something else out there in nature that could inspire me to do something new. And for this song (and other songs I'm working on at the moment), instead of sunsets, I decided to be inspired by night skies. So I thought, what kind of music would describe this kind of night sky:

maxresdefault.jpg

stargazing-northwest-illinois.jpg

Inspiration for Marshall's Beach: LYRICS

One of my biggest inspiration when it comes to lyrical content is travelling and different places in the world. I even wrote an entire album about travelling and my own journeys. So, as much as I decided to do something new with this song, I just couldn't bring myself to NOT be inspired by travelling. Marshall's Beach is about a trip I went on this year to California. I was wandering around in San Francisco on a beach right next to the Golden Gate Bridge, which is one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen in my life and San Francisco is such an amazing city.

maxresdefault.jpg

During this trip though, I had a lot of time to think about my life. I had finished university and I have been in a relationship for 3 years now. After university, a lot of things started to change in my life and the dynamics in my relationship started to change completely. Personally, I don't like changes. Whenever I reach the end of a period in my life, I get upset and think about what else is there in life. And that's what Marshall's Beach is about. Me figuring out what to do with my life, thinking about all the possibilities, all the options, actually being overwhelmed by the options. Do I want to change completely? Where do I want to go? Do I want to end my relationship? Where do I want all of this to go? 

So as a summary: Marshall's Beach is my interpretation of synth-pop. It is inspired by night skies, San Francisco, and figuring out what to do with life.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Andreu

I feel bad because I won't be able to listen to the songs til Thursday at the earliest ):

Still have plenty of time to decide butttttttttt idk I feel like I'm doing it wrong lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

LADY APHRODITE
16 hours ago, NIGHTCRAWLER said:

I announced every participant now! Hopefully I did not forget anyone! I hope y'all are listening to the songs ;P Take the time during this voting/promo period to let the songs grow on you, so I'd recommend not to send me your votings already tonight.

Y'all did a great job, congratulations your songs are really good and now, THE PROMO PERIOD CAN START!

Don't forget we don't want to spam GGD with our contest so do not make thread about your song directly or idk but don't spam ahaha. You can explain your lyrics, your feelings, why you wrote this song etc... SHOW GAGA HOW TO PROMOTE A SONG

Now I have 2 important things to say:

1. I am so sorry for what I have to do but I have to disqualify @LADY APHRODITE because his song his longer than 5 minutes and that's part of the rules. I asked many times to make sure y'all read the rules, but I know I should have told you before to post it so I am sorry. Anyway the song is really good (writing, singing, melodies, ...) so I recommend y'all to listen to this BOP: 

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to vote for it.

2. The voting system will be this one:

2 votings, one for 10 favorite songs and 1 for 3 best summer songs.
 That's what y'all have voted for.

Take your time, listen to each songs many times and you have till AUGUST 26TH to send me your votes !!!!! 

My bad! I should've looked at the rules carefully before i prepare the song. It's fair and I understand. Anyways the quality of the songs we have here are really high and i am truly amazed and humbled. Can't wait to finish my work and give all the songs a careful listen before I cast my vote.

May the best song win!

• Love 7

tomsches

I listened to all of the songs yesterday and 2 times today. Honestly, I can't believe how none of us is famous yet since we're all so talented :laughga:

We all truly stepped up our pussies for this season! Congratulations to all of you for being that inspired.

I've just submitted my votes. For me there's 1 clear favourite. 

Can't wait for the final ceremony and in any case I'll be back for season 3! :excited2:

• YAAAS 1
  • Love 4

LADY APHRODITE

Oh my we truly are the most talented fanbase ever :legend:miss gagz will be proud

Just voted and it was so hard for me to sort out my top 3 and they are definitely going on my summer playlist.

Thanks for all the contestants for sharing their music and inspirations with us.:vegas: Can't wait for the winter edition!

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 2

manuanota

Dear everybody,

I thought I’d share a bit of information about me and my song “Soulmates”.

I am Manu (manuanota), I’ve always loved producing music and writing and singing. I’ve been doing this for years. Yet, I am still very insecure and scared to show people what I do, what I make. It almost feels like a guilty pleasure these days.

Then I found out about this contest, and felt like it would be a missed chance if I didn’t submit something. Some of you guys really pulled me in, to not be afraid and just attend. Thank you so much for doing that, cause the past weeks really brought me some excitement and it still does. 

When I found out about the contest, I was working on this new album that’s still in the making. As the submission was supposed to have summer vibes, I thought about my very recently recorded demo “Soulmates” that had some sort of “flute synthesizer”, which gave me a bit of a summer vibe. I started writing further and recording. 

“Soulmates” is a sweet song about an unconditional friendship or relationship. It’s my ideal for a perfect connection between two people. The song starts off with a calm and sweet R&B undertone, and the ending is more uptempo and party-like, resembling the craziness that comes with a perfect friendship.

If there’s anything you want to know or just want to chat a bit, let me know! 

We could become soulmates* 😏 

22 hours ago, NIGHTCRAWLER said:

14. @manuanota - Soulmates

Lyrics:

Reveal hidden contents

What we say, it's not always what we mean 
We only have to look into each-other’s eyes
What we see, it's not always what it seems
With our connection we're able to keep each-other safe

We are old souls
Soulmates for life
Driving the same roads
And meet at the finish line

I've got your back and
I know you've got mine
Let's stay together
For this whole lifetime
I can lean on you when I need to
When you need to I'll be there
Never lie to one another cause we care 

They always judge, they always blame
They will always say the same
But there's no time for their silly games
Let's just head to our favorite place

We are old souls
Soulmates for life
Driving the same roads

I've got your back and
I know you've got mine
Let's stay together
For this whole lifetime

We are old souls
Soulmates for life
Driving the same road

I've got your back and
I know you've got mine
Let's stay together
For this whole lifetime

*Shameless promo 🤭

• Love 6

Oriane

So I’m going to explain my song. For the promo I might do a music video if I have the time.

This song is about my former best friend. To give some context we were friends since primary school and were close for many years but he started distancing himself from me. It took me a long time to accept this friendship was over.

As for the music, it’s something that I had in my head last year but I had never found the lyrics to fit it. When the theme was announced I decided to combine these two ideas, because I felt that I needed to talk about this friendship.

“Hey there, remember me ?
Remember how it used to be ?
You know we talked the most
Before you turned into a ghost”

Here and in other parts of the song, I’m talking about memories and him not remembering them. In the last years when we were still talking a little, I was evoking some things we did together and he wouldn’t remember them, or when it happened. So now I’m asking if he even remembers my existence. The last two lines are about the fact that he just disappeared slowly.

“I know what you’re gonna say
I know what you’re gonna say”

I was wondering what he would think if he ever heard that song. All I could think about is that he would probably say I was desperate and laugh it off. So I wrote this as a way to protect myself, to show I already know that and what he could possibly say can’t hit me.

“Green was the funniest color
Do you still know why I wonder
And now I can just bet
You don't remember when we met”

This is a reference to something in primary school that made us laugh a lot. We talked so much about it that it really surprised me and hurt me when he said he didn’t know what I was talking about, when I evoked it years after. And he didn’t remember when we became friends either so here I assume he doesn’t remember when me met either.

“You told me you lost friends
I’m not sure it wasn’t pretend
You’re the one who gives up
On people who don’t have your luck”

A few years ago, he was telling me about a friend who let him down and that it hurt him. Now I’m wondering if he was honest because he did the same thing to me.

“They think you’re still right there
In their mind we are still a pair
How could I tell the truth ?
I just lost some part of my youth”

My parents, my friends who knew about him etc, still ask me from time to time how he’s doing etc. I think we all know this kind of situation where your parents ask you about someone you’re not really talking to anymore. I just say “yeah he’s fine” because telling the truth would hurt, even though I know it’s stupid.

“Sometimes I’m over you
Then you come and bring back the blues
You don’t answer the phone
You might as well leave me alone”

I can spend weeks without thinking about him and then something will remind me of him, or he will reach out once in a while and suddenly I start thinking about it again.

“Yes, it hurt for a while
All this time, was wondering why
Was something wrong with me ?
Nothing, I just let the pain be”

For a long time I thought there was something wrong with me, my behavior. When I look back at it now, I realize he was wrong and he said and did some things I shouldn’t have accepted.

“I know I was deceived
It’s not only lovers who’ll leave
They don’t warn you and say
The ones you trust will go away”

You know you will get heartbreaks from love relationships, it’s rare to find your one true love the first time. But you think friends will stick around and will always be by your side.

“I don’t actually know
But I doubt you are listening now
There’s no way you’re still there
One thing I know is you don’t care”

Here I confess that I have no idea what he would say if he heard this, but I’m not sure he would pay attention anyway so I can tell the truth.

If you want to know anything else about the song, feel free to ask me !

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams
  • Love 6

NIGHTCRAWLER
7 hours ago, LADY APHRODITE said:

My bad! I should've looked at the rules carefully before i prepare the song. It's fair and I understand. Anyways the quality of the songs we have here are really high and i am truly amazed and humbled. Can't wait to finish my work and give all the songs a careful listen before I cast my vote.

May the best song win!

giphy.gif

• Love 2

NIGHTCRAWLER
5 hours ago, tomsches said:

Can't wait for the final ceremony and in any case I'll be back for season 3! :excited2:

you better be :grr::rockstar:

Edited by NIGHTCRAWLER
  • Love 1

NIGHTCRAWLER
1 hour ago, Oriane said:

So I’m going to explain my song. For the promo I might do a music video if I have the time.

This song is about my former best friend. To give some context we were friends since primary school and were close for many years but he started distancing himself from me. It took me a long time to accept this friendship was over.

As for the music, it’s something that I had in my head last year but I had never found the lyrics to fit it. When the theme was announced I decided to combine these two ideas, because I felt that I needed to talk about this friendship.

“Hey there, remember me ?
Remember how it used to be ?
You know we talked the most
Before you turned into a ghost”

Here and in other parts of the song, I’m talking about memories and him not remembering them. In the last years when we were still talking a little, I was evoking some things we did together and he wouldn’t remember them, or when it happened. So now I’m asking if he even remembers my existence. The last two lines are about the fact that he just disappeared slowly.

“I know what you’re gonna say
I know what you’re gonna say”

I was wondering what he would think if he ever heard that song. All I could think about is that he would probably say I was desperate and laugh it off. So I wrote this as a way to protect myself, to show I already know that and what he could possibly say can’t hit me.

“Green was the funniest color
Do you still know why I wonder
And now I can just bet
You don't remember when we met”

This is a reference to something in primary school that made us laugh a lot. We talked so much about it that it really surprised me and hurt me when he said he didn’t know what I was talking about, when I evoked it years after. And he didn’t remember when we became friends either so here I assume he doesn’t remember when me met either.

“You told me you lost friends
I’m not sure it wasn’t pretend
You’re the one who gives up
On people who don’t have your luck”

A few years ago, he was telling me about a friend who let him down and that it hurt him. Now I’m wondering if he was honest because he did the same thing to me.

“They think you’re still right there
In their mind we are still a pair
How could I tell the truth ?
I just lost some part of my youth”

My parents, my friends who knew about him etc, still ask me from time to time how he’s doing etc. I think we all know this kind of situation where your parents ask you about someone you’re not really talking to anymore. I just say “yeah he’s fine” because telling the truth would hurt, even though I know it’s stupid.

“Sometimes I’m over you
Then you come and bring back the blues
You don’t answer the phone
You might as well leave me alone”

I can spend weeks without thinking about him and then something will remind me of him, or he will reach out once in a while and suddenly I start thinking about it again.

“Yes, it hurt for a while
All this time, was wondering why
Was something wrong with me ?
Nothing, I just let the pain be”

For a long time I thought there was something wrong with me, my behavior. When I look back at it now, I realize he was wrong and he said and did some things I shouldn’t have accepted.

“I know I was deceived
It’s not only lovers who’ll leave
They don’t warn you and say
The ones you trust will go away”

You know you will get heartbreaks from love relationships, it’s rare to find your one true love the first time. But you think friends will stick around and will always be by your side.

“I don’t actually know
But I doubt you are listening now
There’s no way you’re still there
One thing I know is you don’t care”

Here I confess that I have no idea what he would say if he heard this, but I’m not sure he would pay attention anyway so I can tell the truth.

If you want to know anything else about the song, feel free to ask me !

well I'm very touched by your lyrics and the fact that you explained 'em just make it even more real. I honestly can relate and I love the words you chose, your writing is really good! I love how experimental is your song as well, instrumentally and melodically. This changes and tbh I had this "I know what you're gonna say" in my head all day long! I hope you'll be there for the next season 

• Love 2