Nah. Lana writes about daddies while Lorde writes about boys.:vegas:

:ladyhaha:

#Gaga2020

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matangi
On 6/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, sethrb101 said:

How so? I don’t take offense to this as I love Lana and Lorde both, I just don’t see how she “rode a wave” of Lana’s... especially considering their styles and lyrical content are much different. Lorde has even dissed Lana in the past saying Lana was not setting a good example for girls or something along those lines for her grand and extravagant lyrics.

I mean Lorde even referenced Lana Del Rey as an influence early on with that "diss," 

“When I wrote Royals, I was listening to a lot of rap, but also a lot of Lana Del Rey, because she’s obviously really hip-hop influenced, but all those references to expensive alcohol, beautiful clothes and beautiful cars – I was thinking, ‘This is so opulent, but it’s also bullshit.’” -Lorde

However, I mean to say that she occupied a space in the popular music "subconscious" that Lana had explored and in some ways revived. They couldn't be more different as artists when you analyze them, but many pop listeners put them in the same lane because of their music's cinematic dark quality, hip hop influence, and moody deep to high range vocals

Inferno

I think Lorde has a very distinct style all her own that MANY have either copied themselves or absorbed into their own current aesthetics (i.e. Taylor Swift).

Truthfully I don't see much comparison to Lana and Lorde beyond the fact that they both came into popularity through the tumblr/alt-pop wave. Of which Lana did not start mind you, but was at the forefront of at the right time. In a lot of ways Marina and the Diamonds with The Family Jewels was a fusion of both Lana and Lorde before they even debuted (thematically not sonically).

StrawberryBlond

I don't think she "ripped her off" per se, but she did totally steal some of her aesthetic. A stripped back music video, an usual voice, a very serious demenour, a little air of pretentiousness, dare I say. As soon as I heard Royals, I could tell she was trying to channel Lana's deeper range to make her stand out. Rumour has it that Lana was singing about Lorde stealing her style in F**ked My Way To The Top, although it's all down to personal interpretation. It's unquestionable that Lana has been highly influential since she debuted, it's just that so many of the public and critics alike don't want to say so out of bias towards her.

On 6/24/2018 at 3:21 AM, PoshLife said:

WAVE?? You're being a little generous, sis. This forum has always given Lana waaaaay too much credit.

Not really. Her influence is massive but subtle. Here's a rundown off the top of my head:

Halsey - She basically is Lana, just younger, more mainstream and with a more "street" way of dressing. Hurricane sounds like a song Lana would've made back in the day (especially all the "uh uh uh's" in the chorus - sounds like it was jacked off Lana's production values) and it's clear this is where Halsey really started to get inspired to forge a career for herself.

Selena Gomez - Listen to Good For You and Fetish. Again, she sounds like a younger, mainstream Lana. Even the videos are typically Lana-esque.

Natalia Kills - Her entire Trouble album was totally inspired by the success of Born To Die which was released the year before. I believe that Lana's success with this style (singing about being a poor little rich girl, a troubled home life, addiction and being a wild child) inspired her to take the plunge to make an album like this. The only real difference is that there's a pop rock edge to Natalia's album and 80's influence.

Taylor Swift - Listen to Wildest Dreams. That sounds like something off Lana's debut. Fans even pointed out that its instrumental and rise and fall sounded exactly like the chorus of Lana's song, Without You. I'm actually surprised she didn't sue.

Lorde - Her vocal tone, serious demeanour and stripped back music videos as I said before.

I would have said Marina Diamandis too but she released Electra Heart at the same time as Born To Die and so she never meant to copy. But she is friendly with Lana, so maybe she got inspired as a friend at most.

Archived