💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did Lorde rip off Lana's career?

sipthistea

Featured Posts

TropicOfCANCER

It’s pretty interesting that Lana is now working with jack antonoff on her next album :lolga:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matangi
54 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

WAVE?? You're being a little generous, sis. This forum has always given Lana waaaaay too much credit.

Nah I'm 100% serious. I think both Lana's visual style and debut album weren't the inventors of the "wave" she created, but she captured lightning in a bottle with both her appearance and sound. Pop girls like Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Marina, occasionally Lorde even ****in Taylor Swift all have their moments that clearly channel a style Born to Die pushed back to the surface of popular music in 2012-- aka the cinematic, slow, dramatized and sometimes campy sad girl. 

Okay well regardless of their similarities I love both of their discographies which I believe are quite different but I can see how others might see similarities. 

59 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

It’s pretty interesting that Lana is now working with jack antonoff on her next album :lolga:

It is interesting.... but I’m keen :chica:

Avenues

Not on Melodrama but I think 'Royals' was a straight up 'Born to Die album' diss track.

Ouch, My back hurts.

SEXODUS

Lana: oniric atmosphere, dreamy voice, ermetic lyrics

Lorde: provocative sounds, clever metaphores but also a weird and childlike entanglement of words (of a more direct emotional energy if you ask me)

It also feels like Lana’s playing a persona in her music (which is not necessarily a bad thing, it’s just that I can tell if some lyric was put there because it rhymed well or because it beautified an idea), while I could easily tell that every word Lorde wrote is actually what Ella felt.

So I really can’t see what these two might have in common artistically apart from... you know, being female and artists that sometimes talk about love. Yes, they’re not as generale or as mainstream as many others out there, but at the same time they aren’t the only ones that have been able to find a way to tell their art in a unique way (Florence, FKA Twigs and twenty one pilots come to mind)

I’d choose Lorde over Lana if I have to but they’re so different I can easily have both.

elijahfan

Maybe you should listen to more records than Lana's, and you'd realize she didn't invent the wheel :oops:

Gagadonna

Have you even listened to their albums? They are NOTHING alike, the only vaguely  common reminiscent thing is the theme of melancholy/nostalgia. And I’m being extremely vague cause their approach to life is sooo different, same for their sonority and their visuals. 

U cancelled 

highlikegaga

maybe because I'm 21 and I'm closer to Lorde's age, but when melodrama came out the album spoke to me. It captured perfectly everything I was going through at the moment...and even more now, one year later, i keep listening and finding new meanings to the lyrics. This is probably one of my favorite albums of all time.

i grew up with Lana's music and she's always going to have a special place in my heart. But after the Paradise Edition I kinda got tired of her. Enjoyed some singles and as of recently i listened to Honeymoon for the first time, which is a cute album.

let's not pit women against each other.

Thomas P

Oh no you better don’t! 

Lorde is one of very few artists who is a complete original and has been since she started. 

Lana influenced other artists, and Lorde influenced a whole generation of new pop artists. They both paved the way for different sounds.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Thomas P
42 minutes ago, highlikegaga said:

maybe because I'm 21 and I'm closer to Lorde's age, but when melodrama came out the album spoke to me. It captured perfectly everything I was going through at the moment...and even more now, one year later, i keep listening and finding new meanings to the lyrics. This is probably one of my favorite albums of all time.

i grew up with Lana's music and she's always going to have a special place in my heart. But after the Paradise Edition I kinda got tired of her. Enjoyed some singles and as of recently i listened to Honeymoon for the first time, which is a cute album.

let's not pit women against each other.

I’m 17 and it’s still one of my favourites. 

I literally put it in my top 3. Pure heroin is in my top 5 too. 

Lorde is just such a unique, and much needed talent in this industry who understands music. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

MeloArtDramaPop
9 hours ago, SEXODUS said:

Lana: oniric atmosphere, dreamy voice, ermetic lyrics

Lorde: provocative sounds, clever metaphores but also a weird and childlike entanglement of words (of a more direct emotional energy if you ask me)

It also feels like Lana’s playing a persona in her music (which is not necessarily a bad thing, it’s just that I can tell if some lyric was put there because it rhymed well or because it beautified an idea), while I could easily tell that every word Lorde wrote is actually what Ella felt.

So I really can’t see what these two might have in common artistically apart from... you know, being female and artists that sometimes talk about love. Yes, they’re not as generale or as mainstream as many others out there, but at the same time they aren’t the only ones that have been able to find a way to tell their art in a unique way (Florence, FKA Twigs and twenty one pilots come to mind)

I’d choose Lorde over Lana if I have to but they’re so different I can easily have both.

my thoughts exactly!!

MeloArtDramaPop

Lana had cultivated a number of imitators

Lorde also cultivated a number of imitators

neither copied either, theyre one of the few artists w/ gaga that have stayed original their whole careers

Pharamon

**** no...She's actually original - I mean I love Lana but you cannot compare her to Lorde. What a reach.

sethrb101
18 hours ago, Matangi said:

She absolutely was one of many female pop artists who rode the wave that Lana created with Born to Die. But I think their styles remain very distinct, mostly how they write and sing.

How so? I don’t take offense to this as I love Lana and Lorde both, I just don’t see how she “rode a wave” of Lana’s... especially considering their styles and lyrical content are much different. Lorde has even dissed Lana in the past saying Lana was not setting a good example for girls or something along those lines for her grand and extravagant lyrics.

#Gaga2020

sethrb101
17 hours ago, River said:

Nah, Lorde's lyrics are like the lyrics that I used to write when I was 12.. this is why mostly teenagers likes her and thinks she's the messiah.. she's very average and giving some "I'm better than you cause I'm soo serious and artistic" vibe..

Lana is just cooler, she knows her flaws and just go on with it, she has so many good lyrics and so many songs that you can relate, she's just so much better.. but of course she has some fails like all the rest.. like Woodstock lol

I find Lorde much more relatable in terms of her lyrics and persona as a whole lol. Don’t get me wrong; Lana is very sweet and I love her as a person, too, but her music does give off a very grandeur and unrealistic vibe. And that’s not a bad thing, just how I see it.

I honestly love them both, though... :selena:

#Gaga2020

Archived