💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Beyonce and Jay Z/cultural appropriation

Blond

Featured Posts

Ziggy
14 minutes ago, Blond said:

They're commercializing it and it's everyone's excuse for hating white people.I think it's nonsense

I agree with Katy Perry one

I don’t think it’s humanly possible to further commercialize these works hahaha but like another post said, it’s about power dynamics. Ancient Greece is a dead culture that bears very little resemblance to Greece today so featuring it in your video is not an act of power in the same way as, say, Miley Cyrus having all black dancers and twerking around stage as a joke. That’s very different.

It’s not an excuse to hate white people. It’s encouragement to be more conscious of the historical and political platform of white people which some white people seem to take offense to. No one is hating white people, I certainly don’t, but they just want white people to treat them and their cultures with respect when they historically have not. It’s about educating yourself and humility rather than brash, ugly pride and arrogance.

In my own life, would I wear something more typically black? Probably not because I don’t really know the history behind it and it’s morn a costume, it’s someone’s culture. If anything, I think it’s a very beautiful thing to welcome others to learn about your culture in such a warm and tactile way as fashion. Share in the culture on the terms of its maker not your own. Thats all that’s being asked.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Henri Bardot

cultural appropiation is bullshit 

stop being mad about everything, we're from the same planet :awkney:

Spoiler

Look it like this; I'm Mexican, if I use Mayan or Aztec culture for whatever reason I want to, thinking like some of you do, it'd be cultural appropiation too.

Why? because I'm not Mayan nor Aztec, those civilisations are long dead. So what is it? cUlTURaLlll ApPRopiaTiON1!!!1!

i honestly don't care if non-mexican people want to celebrate 5 de mayo or dress up like mexicans, it's their problem if some of them don't want to learn about other cultures

pooiota

ryanripley
10 minutes ago, Melech said:

Yeah white people better only play “white” instruments :laughga: 

that's missing the whole point

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Supersonic
27 minutes ago, Blond said:

I hate how some people instantly want to hurt you when you express yourself.Not accepting other opinions is toxic and it's actually hurting GGD.Btw ... you did not hurt me,i reported you instead :wacko:

Lashing out at tiny things is common when somebody is going through something, been there myself. Doesn't change the fact that you deserve love. :hug:

Ryusei

*breathes in* because nobody truly cares and it's a music video they aren't enslaving people and taking their property or anything 

Musery

RudraCNG

You all are taking this "cultural appropriation" thing too far. Come on, it's music, it's supposed to be fun.

latikofficial
57 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

Cultural appropriation is a concept dealing with the adoption of the elements of a minority culture by members of the dominant culture

this tea. 

uwu

bionic
47 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

Like, a white dude having a Rasta-themed bedroom ain’t cultural appropriation, it’s just cultural appreciation. The same dude wearing aftrican attire just for the looks, however, is considered cultural appropriation because he’s just taking bits of that culture and using it as an accessory knowing full well that a black person doing the same thing would be considered “ghetto” or whatever. 

There is no difference between those two scenarios. Both are just for visual effect

buy bionic

That J

Personally, I think it would be more helpful to answer the question without making fun of the poster first. 

This is why people hold things in and it escalates. Explain why the question isnt this or that.  The question. Not the seeker. 

Some did just that. How are people supposed to learn if they cant ask? 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

DelusionalGaga
3 minutes ago, That J said:

Personally, I think it would be more helpful to answer the question without making fun of the poster first. 

This is why people hold things in and it escalates. Explain why the question isnt this or that.  The question. Not the seeker. 

Some did just that. How are people supposed to learn if they cant ask? 

I would usually agree with this but the original poster didn't exactly express themselves eloquently. You can't expect to receive polite answers when you start a thread with generalizations about certain groups of people and statements like "f*ck SJWs". 

Borislshere

Are you going to act like Gaga didn’t go around with the “Aphrodite” persona(which is also apart of Ancient Greece) for half of the ARTPOP era? You can’t pick and choose who you’re going to be upset with. If something as simple as dancing in front of art makes you call our appropriation, then how are you okay with Gaga wearing dreads in your avi? 

Try to help me understand cause right now it feels like another “ I hate Beyoncé  but I need to mask it as something else” thread.

BBhomemaker

Bad appropriations are offensives like : 

They are mocking a culture, personally I was ultra mad toward beiber I felt like it was a joke for him I wanted to put my Spanish fist in his face hahaha

"Good" appropriations made with respect : 

Taylor donated to the natural reserve and didn't make fun by wearing anything offensive 

And well I don't know for madonna but I feel like it was made with respect, and I know she learnt a lot of cultures and she done a lot, it's meaningful, but I can be wrong, either way I don't feel like it's mocking Japanese culture as Avril

Eddie

That moment when you say F**k SJW but then you become one because you want attention :huntyga:

Btw cultural approwjzbiwjfnon is something white americans invented. I don't see japaneses, mexicans or italians complaining about this :ohwell:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

Damon

everytime calls out for cultural appropiation i just assume the persone is bored af and tries to create drama :nails:

... and now i just sit in silence.

Archived