💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Millie Bobby Brown deletes her social media because of homophobic memes

NewYorkCity

Featured Posts

Decodekid

Ik its not ok and def something that should not be done, but after a ****ing 1 hour anxiety attack that made me smile a bit 

Im Harol don't tell anyone

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FentyGa
10 hours ago, iCpro said:

I didn’t make these memes so idk why Millie was chosen, but they make them about just about anybody, there’s variations with Ari, and I’ve seen similar jokes about Gaga before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJ49SdshDAlbIdANaJLuS

Yeah there was one of Gaga with the caption 'what's up my n words'
Can't find it anywhere now tho oof

Enigma
32 minutes ago, JourneyToAvalon said:

I don't feel personally attacked by this and I'll admit I do understand the humor. THAT BEING SAID just because something is funny doesn't make it right or justified. You can't just cross a line and say you did nothing wrong by calling it "humor" or a "meme". And even people have been joking about "dead babies" before it still doesn't make this meme right. (That's not right either because millions of people suffer the death of their babies and that is no joke.) It's like kicking a homeless person on the street and laughing because "it's funny".

This is literally hate speech against a minority, If she did this in real life or ANY person for that matter there would have been major consequences because it's wrong. 

And making a meme with homophobic statements will just encourage everyone to make those statements casually or "as a joke". We know how influential viral memes can be and eventually people will start quoting it and say things like "kill yourself, fag", "hope you get run over by a car" because "it's a meme".

AND not to mention the hate crimes that are already prevalent against the LGBT community. Did we already forget that 49 people died in 2016 because of a hate crime? How about I just joke around and tell my gay friend "Hope you get shot in the club, b**tch!" ? Would that be okay too?

TLDR : Humor doesn't justify an action or justify making light of an action which would have been illegal or morally wrong otherwise. Just what I believe. If we have been making those mistakes in the past, it's time we stop.

I won't even talk about how it affects Millie because it's purely common sense and a lot of you have mentioned it already.

My thoughts exactly!

My post isn't directed to you or anyone else in the thread for that matter but I just wanted to point out that homophobia in the gay community is a thing and it's BIG. You don't have to be a certain type of person to be homophic, racist, etc. And most people don't even realize they're saying something wrong or supporting something wrong but that doesn't make them less wrong. They just don't have that awareness and perspective yet. But it's up to the people who do understand to explain it to them.

Got carried away (sorry) but you get the gist. 

I’m just gonna point out that you think that the GAYS who made those memes actually want gays to get shot and die.

If you don’t already see how unlogical what you’re saying is I-...

The fact that you think dead baby jokes are not ok also shows that we just will never agree. Not that I find them especially funny, but humour is not meant to respect everyone in the goddamn world. The whole point of humour is to break boundaries of what we find politically correct.

Then again you clearly don’t even understand the meme itself to begin with. Yes we’re aware this is hate speech... that’s... kinda the joke. The meme is literally mocking those homophobic statements by using someone so random it makes it look stupid. 

My friends and I are familiar with the Millie memes and we quote it sometimes but it’s clear that we’re mocking the statements... I’m gay myself so with friends I like to say “**** the fags” as a joke to mock people who actually think that. 

Anyway it’s a very niche type of humour, it’s not made to be posted on big meme pages and stuff. It’s supposed to be by the gays, for the gays, in shitpost accounts.

My whole point is basically that its gays who made those memes to joke about themselves. Millie has very little to do in it, because there are variations of this meme with many random celebrities. 

Humour doesn’t justify everything but when a gay makes a joke about themselves, telling them they’re homophobic is really ****ing dumb. Especially if you’re a girl trying to be woke (which is assume represents a couple people in this situation).

You don’t have to find it funny. You don’t have to understand it. I’m just a part of the few people that have all the background of this meme and I, a gay, am telling you that this was made by gays, for the gays, and therefore that there is literally no homophobic idea behind this. 

Thats for the “gays are victims of this” part. For Millie, I agree wholeheartedly that it’s bad for her. 

NewYorkCity

Oh now that I have seen that Ariana Grande one I remember one from 2014 with Gaga and it was something like: this is what you *******s get for not making GUY a Hit. 

Cant find it now obviously but yeah. It was for C2C and it was a fake tweet. And it was fun. That’s it. 

Wolf Boy

Some of you are doing SO much in this thread.

Lol @ all the “Dear Diary...” posts, if you dont find the memes funny, fine, but some of you are shedding so many tears you could create rivers.

Its a tasteless joke, Miley Bob or whoever she is clearly isn’t impressed, but some of yall really are hysterical.

avalon x
26 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’m just gonna point out that you think that the GAYS who made those memes actually want gays to get shot and die.

:ladyhaha: So that's exactly what I said that? Can you please quote it?

If you don’t already see how unlogical what you’re saying is I-...

The fact that you think dead baby jokes are not ok also shows that we just will never agree. Not that I find them especially funny, but humour is not meant to respect everyone in the goddamn world. The whole point of humour is to break boundaries of what we find politically correct.

We might have different opinions and that's fine (hence you didn't understand some of what I wrote). But yes, I do believe there are some things which are sensitive which should not be joked about but the point of humor is to make people laugh and entertain. People can use it to break boundaries, sure, but we all know very well that the whole point of every punchline in every show or comedic act is, in fact, not to break boundaries. They can be but they are not. And obviously if someone is making a joke about a sensitive topic some people will find offense to it and they are allowed to do so.

Then again you clearly don’t even understand the meme itself to begin with. Yes we’re aware this is hate speech... that’s... kinda the joke. The meme is literally mocking those homophobic statements by using someone so random it makes it look stupid.

I literally started my post stating that I understand it and I even laughed a little (which I should not have). But let's not pretend that everyone who reads the memes will immediately get that they are making fun of homophobes. Most people are just laughing because it's funny/ridiculous of Millie to say it and moving on. If I didn't understand it it's because it was not evident to me or the tons of people who have a problem with it. If it was so clear we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.

If I don't understand the meme, that's on me.

But if you don't understand that using hate speech for humor is wrong and can't see it's consequences, that's on you.

48 minutes ago, Enigma said:

My friends and I are familiar with the Millie memes and we quote it sometimes but it’s clear that we’re mocking the statements... I’m gay myself so with friends I like to say “**** the fags” as a joke to mock people who actually think that. 

Anyway it’s a very niche type of humour, it’s not made to be posted on big meme pages and stuff. It’s supposed to be by the gays, for the gays, in shitpost accounts

This is exactly what the writer states in the article I posted earlier. But at this point, I understand if you didn't get her message.

54 minutes ago, Enigma said:

My whole point is basically that its gays who made those memes to joke about themselves. Millie has very little to do in it, because there are variations of this meme with many random celebrities. 

Humour doesn’t justify everything but when a gay makes a joke about themselves, telling them they’re homophobic is really ****ing dumb. Especially if you’re a girl trying to be woke (which is assume represents a couple people in this situation).

You don’t have to find it funny. You don’t have to understand it. I’m just a part of the few people that have all the background of this meme and I, a gay, am telling you that this was made by gays, for the gays, and therefore that there is literally no homophobic idea behind this. 

Thats for the “gays are victims of this” part. For Millie, I agree wholeheartedly that it’s bad for her. 

And again I never said "gays are victims" when I specifically mentioned hate speech and brought up the shooting of Orlando (i.e people who have actually encountered hate crimes/speech). I'm sure if the guys that made the meme ever suffered a loss of a friend through a hate crime they would NEVER joke about it.

Just because the creators or anyone else don't realize that something is wrong or consequential doesn't make it any less wrong or consequential. No matter what their intentions were.

When a person who is gay makes jokes about people in their own community being MURDERED for being GAY. Now that is ****ing dumb. (That's even more tragic then actual homophobes making jokes, tbh) Because when people outside the LGBT community see us making jokes and not taking our own losses seriously, why should they?

Let's just agree to disagree, I get that we have different perspectives and levels of understanding of the matter so I don't expect that what I wrote will start making sense but I think I wrote enough to explain my point (and won't be explaining further). I apologize if I sounded condescending or aggressive and hope you'll remain civil, thank you and good day. :heart: 

NewYorkCity
2 hours ago, JourneyToAvalon said:

Forgot to post this article, it's the only one I could find that said what I was trying to convey (albeit in a different context).

https://alphamom.com/parenting/retard-hate-speech-slur/

The last paragraph reads -

" Millions of people worldwide suffer because they are devalued like this. What feels casually funny to you is a hate like any other, and it feeds the inequality so many have to face every day from being socially ignored to not having adequate care to not having access to public life to being murdered. Use of the word “retard” or any variation of “-tard” out there normalizes and strengthens prejudice and hostility. It’s not casual or funny. It’s hate speech. If you use it, stop it, and if you hear it, call it out. "

I don’t agree with this article at all. 

The whole point of making jokes with homophobia is not to make it normal. 

Lots of jokes have been made about racism, and it doesn’t make it ok to be racist, for example. 

Or look at the fat jokes with the Demi “delete it fat” meme. Have they made body shaming ok? Normal? Funny? No.

In fact, In this particular case where gays are using homophobia to make fun of homophobic people is even a great thing to do. When you laugh at homophobia, you are attacking homophobes, because they take it seriously and you are like laughing at what THEY believe. You are making them and their attitude a JOKE that you, the person who is affected by that attitude, laughs at. 

In any case, this is a great movement agains homophobia. Just like a black person making fun of racism is great. Or thousands of examples. 

Emvee

Taking note of all the freaky alien genotypes who react lmao to the serious posts and sending their ip addresses to Mike Pence for the purge :gaycat:

giskardsb
3 hours ago, Enigma said:

And that’s why no amount of justification overcomes the effect on Millie.  If “the gays” want to make a joke meme they don’t have to drag an innocent girl into it.  The thing about memes is that they spread beyond the target audience.  Somewhere there is somebody thinking Millie really said those things, and that’s why she is rightfully hurt by the situation.  And the hash tag takedown Millie brown makes it seem intentionally malicious, even if it’s not.

ALGAYDO

Lol so I guess we can harass kids now because it’s funny. Guess these bullies in school that harassed kids into suicide are okay since they were jus jokes too. 

Gov Hooka

I think it’s hilarious but I see the fault in the this particular instance. A lot of you guys would not be fun at a dinner party :oops:

avalon x
8 hours ago, NewYorkCity said:

I don’t agree with this article at all. 

The whole point of making jokes with homophobia is not to make it normal. 

Lots of jokes have been made about racism, and it doesn’t make it ok to be racist, for example. 

Or look at the fat jokes with the Demi “delete it fat” meme. Have they made body shaming ok? Normal? Funny? No.

In fact, In this particular case where gays are using homophobia to make fun of homophobic people is even a great thing to do. When you laugh at homophobia, you are attacking homophobes, because they take it seriously and you are like laughing at what THEY believe. You are making them and their attitude a JOKE that you, the person who is affected by that attitude, laughs at. 

In any case, this is a great movement agains homophobia. Just like a black person making fun of racism is great. Or thousands of examples. 

So you're saying these pictures are a great movement against homophobia but at the same time many people have been replying "it's just a meme, get over it" to defend it. ( :ladyhaha: )

No matter what the intention or point was of the meme, normalizing is actually what it is doing by going viral and spreading inside and outside the LGBT community. The people who are enjoying it aren't taking it as a message against homophobia, they are taking it as just a meme and a joke.

And "delete it fat" did actually make it normal to call people fat which if it weren't for the meme would have been deemed as offensive and fat shaming beforehand, hence normalizing it. Obviously it won't normalize every other fat shaming slur because they are not related to the meme. 

If the meme was having such a positive effect against to rid the world of homophobia, it wouldn't have been deemed inappropriate and deleted from twitter. People wouldn't have a problem with it either which almost half the people actually do.

The meme isn't defaming anyone but Millie, if she was a raging homophobe I would have agreed with you completely but she's not. I understand what you're trying to say but in reality that's not the effect of the meme. It's passing hate speech and hate crime (and even people getting shot at) as a joke and encouraging everyone else (both LGBT and not) to do so.

NewYorkCity
8 minutes ago, JourneyToAvalon said:

So you're saying these pictures are a great movement against homophobia but at the same time many people have been replying "it's just a meme, get over it" to defend it. ( :ladyhaha: )

No matter what the intention or point was of the meme, normalizing is actually what it is doing by going viral and spreading inside and outside the LGBT community. The people who are enjoying it aren't taking it as a message against homophobia, they are taking it as just a meme and a joke.

And "delete it fat" did actually make it normal to call people fat which if it weren't for the meme would have been deemed as offensive and fat shaming beforehand, hence normalizing it. Obviously it won't normalize every other fat shaming slur because they are not related to the meme. 

If the meme was having such a positive effect against to rid the world of homophobia, it wouldn't have been deemed inappropriate and deleted from twitter. People wouldn't have a problem with it either which almost half the people actually do.

The meme isn't defaming anyone but Millie, if she was a raging homophobe I would have agreed with you completely but she's not. I understand what you're trying to say but in reality that's not the effect of the meme. It's passing hate speech and hate crime (and even people getting shot at) as a joke and encouraging everyone else (both LGBT and not) to do so.

Because it is just a meme. They are right.

no, delete it fat didn’t make it ok to call fat a person. Wtf. If you say that you are saying it in the context of a meme and not trying to hurt anyone. If I go out and say to someone without context: DELETE IT FAT!! No one would think it is ok. And no one thinks that Demi is a body shaming person because of that meme. 

and wtf x10000000 if you think that after this meme people from LGBT community and others will be laughing at a mass shooting like the Pulse one like: OMG HAHAHA HAVE YOU SEEN THAT!!!??! THEY JUST KILLED 20 GAYS TODAY LMAO I AM LAUGHING SO HARD THIS REMINDS ME OF THE MILLIE MEME LOLOLOLOLOL IT IS FUNNY THAT THEY DIED BECAUSE THE MEME MADE IT FUNNY TO GET GAYS KILLED LMAO 

Lets not. It is stupid to think that.

Look, the same thing happened with N word. It was offensive, it was racist. It still is. But black people made it theirs. And they use it. They took the power of that word for them and took it away from racists. And that doesn’t make it right for people to use it in a racist way. 

Archived