Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why did Bionic "flop"?

ryanripley

Featured Posts

StarstruckIllusion
1 minute ago, EvilRegal said:

Everyone was saying that Xtina was copying Gaga's style, especially the music and the fashion.

Actually now that I think about it, I do remember younger me being annoyed like "this is just a Lady Gaga ripoff wtf" (NMT) lmao. My fave song from hers today tho 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
culturalbaptism
23 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

i put flop in quotation marks cus i literally know nothing about this album apart from it's reputation as one of pop's most memorable flops

i finally got round to listening to it and it's a decent album so far so what happened? :huh: 

does anyone know the full story? was the album too long to do well commercially? was it poor management?

The label ruined her original vision for the album. Glam was supposed to be the first single and the album was set to a 2009 release. Then she started recording Burlesque and they had to postpone the album. They also made her record a few commercial songs to include in the album. Most of the original experimental material was scrapped or included as bonus tracks in the deluxe version.

Judas is coming. Let the cultural baptism begin.

ryanripley

wow, this album deserved better

poor xtina

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

River

Poor choices of singles and songs.. they pushed her to be trendy and go like Gaga and it was a bad choice.. she had to be herself..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

SissyFromSpace
27 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

Lmao she’s so delusional, the album wasn’t experimental and surely wasn’t ahead of its time, if it was released in 2008 it would have been a success.

It was experimental 

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

The Child
52 minutes ago, Lance said:

It was experimental 

It wasn’t.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

SEXODUS

I don’t care about the comparisons to either Gaga or Madonna tbh. Undeserved flop. 

Bionic is still that bop :music:

sipthistea

I think many factors played against Xtina at that time. One could be the long period of time between her last album and Bionic. Another one was the raise of other pop stars at the time (Gaga, Katy, Kesha), and the fall of interest of the public in her work. Also the comparisons between her and Gaga didn't make it any better for Bionic. Then also Xtina hasn't been someone that close to her fans, so her fanbase is very limited and there was this lack of interest from the public.

Talking about the record, I can say is a good album. Its production is amazing and her vocals too. The only thing about it that was weak about it was its songwriting. Most of the lyrics are vain, and the theme was not really interesting. Few songs like Birds Of Prey and You Lost Me were good in those terms. 

sipthistea
1 hour ago, Lance said:

It was experimental 

29 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

It wasn’t.

tenor.gif?itemid=4332213

migamiga

i would say lack of promotion. when bionic came out i wasn't really involved in the stan world but was still a huge music fan and kept up better than most my peers. i didn't even know bionic existed til i saw all the jokes about it in 2012 :rip: and this is coming from someone who follows music. the gp probably doesnt even know it exists. same with lotus :emma:

Mirrion Rizzons
2 hours ago, ryanripley said:

what's wrong with the lead? i LOVED that song back in the day :music: 

I love it too. But the GP called it 'try hard' and 'a copy of gaga' so it tanked

C1trus

I saw the album cover at the newspaper back in the day and I thought it was Lady Gaga's. 

So yes, Gaga's existence might be the main cause of all the reasons it flopped.

ι'м ρυℓℓιηg үσυя sтяιηgs

Mirrion Rizzons

There was tons of tv commercials the week it came out but after that the era was like:bye:

The Child
1 hour ago, sipthistea said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4332213

It wasn’t experimental. :reductive:

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

TinyRick
1 hour ago, CrazyMonster said:

It wasn’t.

She's delusional about it being experimental... So many terrible songs with terrible lyrics and NMT video was so desperate to be the bad romance video it was cringeworthy. 

She pretended not to know who Gaga was, started wearing the same fashion, and went so off the deep end with the sex card it was irritating. She threw gum at some fans, was horrid in interviews, and chose bad singles. That Monday song was the only good thing about that Era and even the Ladytron collaboration was terrible. This album ruined her reputation and she hasn't really toured since. Plus Perez the pig had it out for her. Plus she's lazy.

Archived