💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Who is the Most Overrated Artist in Music?

rumours

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

I think it's important to make a distinction between "overrated" and "overhyped".

An overrated artist would be someone who is pretty mediocre, but is worshiped as though they're some sort of musical genius. In other words, the praise they receive is unwarranted. A perfect example of this would be Ed Sheeran -- average vocals, average to below average songwriting abilities, and yet the general public treats him like the Messiah :ohwell:

An overhyped artist can be brilliant, talented, amazing, etc., but they just receive way more attention than they should be getting. Beyonce falls into this category imo. While her artistry is debatable, her vocals and her performing abilities are second to none. But often times the praise she receives is just WAY out of proportion to what she delivers and sometimes it's just like, "we get it, she's great. Can we talk about something else? :triggered:" I enjoy Beyonce's music and her live performances (a lot, actually), but the minute I see everyone falling at her feet like she just cured cancer I can't help but cringe :madge: Anything that receives too much hype gets annoying after a while; it's only natural.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
swakby
2 hours ago, River said:

Beyonce because after the Tidal corruption, who knows what's going on there, I won't be surprise if she's paying for good reviews.. maybe a t the end this acclaimed and "overrating" is not even real.. 

What I came here to write. 

Cavadour

Not that the guy is any way related to most of recent artists listed in this topic, but I just can't avoid to express all my contempt about this totally overrated so called blues guitar hero : J0e B0namassa. He's the epitome of overhyped. Uninspired yet skillful technique. Not a single original guitar lick. The entire guy attitude and outlook reeks pretention and complete lack of personality. What a fake overblown fart in the wind.

OK, I know most of ppl here are not into that kind of music. I just felt the need to write it.

Otoh and more current, guys like Ed Sh**, Bruno M, The W.E... really look and sound like a bunch of overhyped nobodies to me. Give them a couple of years to vanish away as fast as they came to prominence.

10 hours ago, SolidSnake said:

lame mumble rap [...] Nirvana

Oh yes and these too... *facepalm*

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart

Didymus

Michael Jackson. Every time I see a performance of his I'm bored and annoyed by his lack of proper execution. I don't know that much about him but it seems to me he's very overrated, esp. performance-wise :interestinga:

FentyGa

Ed. His writing isn't good, and while he has some catchy songs, he's just kinda boring lol.
Beyoncé. Now, don't get me wrong. She deserves a lot of praise. But when every little thing she does is considered divine, it's just like...too much. And I love her, I'd consider myself a stan.
Drake. He's boring and I don't see his appeal.

FentyGa
3 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Michael Jackson. Every time I see a performance of his I'm bored and annoyed by his lack of proper execution. I don't know that much about him but it seems to me he's very overrated, esp. performance-wise :interestinga:

I can't stand his voice tbh.

ryanripley
4 hours ago, Bradley said:

Actually a lot of us would take Joanne over Lemonade any day.

or you can have both lol

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Taide

DUA LIPA

she’s soooooooooooooo boring and I can’t at some people calling her new queen of pop.

The Z
7 hours ago, Devyn said:

Does your quote button not work? 

Its definitely a tired argument. You’re not in the studio when her and her team work on these albums. I’m going by what the people who do work with her say. And you finding her recent two highly claimed albums “boring” doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve the praise it gets. 

This thread is up to our personnal opinions, so if you get tired for this you can just leave. :giggle: There are also writers who said that she was just adding ONE word to be credited. Also, she's all about the money #ASIB. Plus she's faking everything with Tidal etc. 

The Z
1 hour ago, Melmoth said:

9 pages and no one said Lana Del Rey, I think that's an achievement! :pray:

Well I don't think she's overrated outside of GGD:lolga:

Oriane

As someone else said, it shouldn't be about opinions but about people who aren't as talented as people say and praised more than they should. There are artists I don't like but I respect their music and I know they have talent.

So I don't know who I would call overrated. Maybe Daft Punk and a lot of electronic or rap artists whose work rely a lot on samples and reworking existing music. I don't get the appeal.

About Beyoncé, I do think she gets more praise than she should, although she's not the most overrated artist of all time. She's a great singer and performer but it takes more than that to be a talented musician. Her music is nothing special.

I like Lana del Rey but I think she's overrated too, by pop fans and non-pop fans who seem to think she's the only talented current pop singer. Her music always sounds the same and it's obvious she's lacking musical training. Her melodies often sound like something someone who doesn't know a lot about music would write.

Also, Mariah Carey had a really great voice but her songs sound so basic. It always seem to be the same diva love song that just exists to show off vocals, the belts and whistles get out of nowhere, there's no artistic input in them.

12 hours ago, SolidSnake said:

All Time Male: Nirvana. They are OK but mostly only a t shirt brand now. Not as good as other grudge bands at the time like Pearl Jam. 

I agree that their music is not incredible, it's very simple, it's good but overrated by angsty teenagers. It's not "only a T-shirt brand" though, I know a lot of people who listened to Nirvana during their teenage years, and they still do.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

swakby
1 hour ago, Melmoth said:

9 pages and no one said Lana Del Rey, I think that's an achievement! :pray:

9 minutes ago, Oriane said:

I like Lana del Rey but I think she's overrated too, by pop fans and non-pop fans who seem to think she's the only talented current pop singer. Her music always sounds the same and it's obvious she's lacking musical training. Her melodies often sound like something someone who doesn't know a lot about music would write.

That was fast :lolly:

Archived