💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Who is the Most Overrated Artist in Music?

rumours

Featured Posts

rumours
4 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Ariana is also comparable to Mariah in her prime (I know people don't like that comparison, but it's fair to make nonetheless)

I'm not sure... Mariah was pretty killer in her prime. I do still think Ariana has a great voice, though.

5 minutes ago, SolidSnake said:

Also lame vocals is still an opinion. Having a voice that is TOO polished is boring, see a lot of music critics criticisms towards celine dion

So if they have lame vocals, what are some examples of singers with great vocals?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SolidSnake
Just now, Rumours1977 said:

I'm not sure... Mariah was pretty killer in her prime. I do still think Ariana has a great voice, though.

So if they have lame vocals, what are some examples of singers with great vocals?

Among women? Grace Slick, Dolly Parton, Aretha Franklin, Lauryn Hill, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell. It depends how you define great vocals. 

Reality
3 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

I think part of why people have a hard time comparing Mariah and Ariana is that Mariah's voice is so unique and different that it can't really be compared to anyone at all :sweat:

Sort of to go off of what @SolidSnake said, I think in a sense, Ariana's voice might be more polished than Mariah in her prime. I only say this because, like I said before, Mariah's voice had a unique quality to it, and that mostly came from her light and airy falsetto. Now I'm no vocal analyst or vocal coach, but from what I've seen/heard, sometimes her falsetto would be too light, which contributes to it not being "polished enough." 

That said, I understand why the comparison would be hard to make at some times. 

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

rumours
4 minutes ago, SolidSnake said:

Among women? Grace Slick, Dolly Parton, Aretha Franklin, Lauryn Hill, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell. It depends how you define great vocals. 

Ah, I get where you're coming from in terms of vocals. :)

I agree that all the women you have listed are fantastic vocalists (thanks for including Dolly btw:wub:)

rumours
5 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

I think in a sense, Ariana's voice might be more polished than Mariah in her prime.

Here's my two cents:

I think Mariah has superior vocal ability than Ariana. However, Mariah's consistency (even in her prime) was never one of her strong suits. Ariana on the other hand is very consistent, perhaps leading to the notion that she might be "more polished". Mariah also does have vocal nodules... I'm not sure if Ariana has them or not 

SolidSnake
2 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

Ah, I get where you're coming from in terms of vocals. :)

I agree that all the women you have listed are fantastic vocalists (thanks for including Dolly btw:wub:)

Of course! I lowkey love Dolly. I think shes vastly underrated by people under 40.

SolidSnake
8 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Sort of to go off of what @SolidSnake said, I think in a sense, Ariana's voice might be more polished than Mariah in her prime. I only say this because, like I said before, Mariah's voice had a unique quality to it, and that mostly came from her light and airy falsetto.

The problem with both of their voices is that it can come off as unnatural and robotic when there is 0 flaws in the vocals or when these vocals are covered up with autotune.

lolitamuse

Taylor Swift. Honestly, I don't know how she's famous. I'm not even trying to be malicious, I just have never heard her actually sing well EVER, *even* on her studio recordings. She can't dance, and I don't feel that her live performances are interesting to watch. I think she has a very basic songwriting ability, but nothing out of this world. 

rumours
4 minutes ago, SolidSnake said:

Of course! I lowkey love Dolly. I think shes vastly underrated by people under 40.

Yaaasssssss a fellow Dolly stan. :giveup:

You should participate in my series of Megarates. So far, I've done Blue by Joni Mitchell, Heart Like a Wheel by Linda Ronstadt, Rumors by Fleetwood Mac, and Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen.

I can tag you in the next one if you'd like :)

SolidSnake
1 minute ago, Rumours1977 said:

Yaaasssssss a fellow Dolly stan. :giveup:

You should participate in my series of Megarates. So far, I've done Blue by Joni Mitchell, Heart Like a Wheel by Linda Ronstadt, Rumors by Fleetwood Mac, and Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen.

I can tag you in the next one if you'd like :)

Please do! :) I would enjoy that.

SolidSnake
7 minutes ago, lolitamuse said:

Taylor Swift. Honestly, I don't know how she's famous. I'm not even trying to be malicious, I just have never heard her actually sing well EVER, *even* on her studio recordings. She can't dance, and I don't feel that her live performances are interesting to watch. I think she has a very basic songwriting ability, but nothing out of this world. 

Easy. She started as a Country Pop idol, this got her popular with the middle aged crowd and young girls in rural areas. She did this when country desperately needed a new woman face. Then when she began her slow crawl to become more and more of pop diva her music was considered "Safe" enough for kids at large to listen to. (Try being a kid, much less a straight kid who liked Gaga in 2009. Lets say that wasnt fun). She also has a really good "innocent all-american girl" look that big studios LOVE. 

DemeLarell

So to sum up everyone’s answers: anyone who has went #1 (or even top 10) that’s not gaga. I don’t think anyone is really overrated. Popular or not .... if I like their music I just do. 

SolidSnake
1 minute ago, DemeLarell said:

So to sum up everyone’s answers: anyone who has went #1 (or even top 10) that’s not gaga. I don’t think anyone is really overrated. Popular or not .... if I like their music I just do. 

You would expect people on a Gaga forum to call her overrated? Interesting line of thought.

rumours
3 minutes ago, DemeLarell said:

To be fair, I believe someone earlier in the thread mentioned Azealia Banks, and she doesn't have a #1 or a Top 10 single.

misunderstood

Beyoncé :shrug:

Sorry but I've never seen an artist so ass-kissed before and so blindly praised. After 2013 it's like she casted a spell over most millennials and everything she does is perfect, and if you talk bad about Beyoncé you're 100% an awful person and your opinion isn't valid. Idk I like her music and saw her live and she slayed but holy **** people act as if she's the savior of all social change it's hilarious but kind of concerning. Although she isn't responsible for her fans, her fans imo are the worst fanbase.

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

Archived