💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Utada Hikaru Appreciation Thread

Eighteen

Featured Posts

Eighteen

Alongside LG, a fav of mine is Utada Hikaru. I am drawn to her because of the fact that she writes 99 percent of her music alone, by herself, so the product is very much her thoughts, her philosophies, her outlook on things. she also does much of the production herself with some help from her dad and one other person (Miyake Akira). 

Some interesting facts:

She's huge in japan, and became famous at a young age (16?).

She was born in NYC and grew up there (she can speak fluent english) and travels back and forth between NYC and Japan.

She's been divorced.

She's 35 and recently married a young italian bartender who she met in london. They have 1 child. (according to @ItsTommyBitch, they have gotten a divorce :()

A couple of years ago, her mother committed suicide by jumping from an apartment balcony. Her mother and father were famous old school japanese singers back in the day (i think). I find that her lyrics are colored with a tinge of sadness a lot of the time, but spun in a way that gives it a very uplifting and optimistic vibe and feel. I think this comes from her personal life and personal tragedies that have affected her. 

She told an american radio station that one time she went out drinking and woke up face down in her pillow in a pool of blood. she was missing a front tooth, too. apparently she knocked it out the night before and had to get it artificially replaced. 

(IMO) she's very good at writing japanese music lyrically, much better than she does in english (though she hasn't done a lot of english stuff comparatively). she also has a knack for catchy melodies.

I'm kinda drawn to the fact that she writes about the little things, like taking a simple walk in the park, or eating good food, taking a drive, nothing extravagant. but finding the goodness of life in the simple things, which i believe has the most to offer.

one of my favorite songs i've put down below: It's about being really busy with work and life and not being able to see the person you love for too long. you see each other for two hours and then have to return to the motions of busy life (which sucks), but she puts a positive spin on it saying that it's enough for her. i also like how chill and laid back the track itself is. It's featuring another artist (sheena ringo) but she wrote the whole song herself. 

Sunny

I loveee her! :giveup: My fav song is probably Making Love

Her album is coming out in like 2 months or so? She's also going on tour again :giveup: I'm so perched

I like dancin', and ponies....

Eddie A Michael

I was her big fan until HeartStation. I tried checking out her latest album just last week, and it’s not good at all. I guess only Amuro Namie making good music years after years...

Eighteen
3 minutes ago, Eddie A Michael said:

I was her big fan until HeartStation. I tried checking out her latest album just last week, and it’s not good at all. I guess only Amuro Namie making good music years after years...

o. well we disagree there. i prefer heart station and beyond. personally i think her latest album is one of her best. it's a little more mature for me. :cryga: but this is coming from someone whose favorite gaga album is ARTPOP so... :selena:

RadioIsOurs

I only know Automatic and First Love from her but they are pretty solid!

StarlightSeiya

Whenever I'm feeling down I sing or listen(or both) to Keep Tryin'. Love Hikki. So glad all her music is up on US Spotify. 

Bone Apple Tea bebe

RAMROD

I am here, fam!

giphy.gif

Her last few works seems all very sombre, sad and melancholic. I just hope she is alright. I understand what happened to her mother are hard to get over to.

I still enjoyed those, Fantôme is a good album. But I also need some cheerful Utada again. A more beats to her music. The Rock and R&B Hikki, the hit it up like this, hit it up like this, oh baby! You know.

My favourite albums? Of course Deep River and Distance.

Her English albums are also pretty good, underrated tho!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

ItsTommyBitch

I swear to ya'll, I am the biggest Utada fan in the entire ****ing world :giveup: She's my #1 I always come back to. Own all  her albums, and much more. Probably my favorite voice for any solo female singer ever too, its just - it's maturity. Even when she was younger.

Also, just for some record keeping... She is recently divorced to the Italian man she married. Why can't her life just be happy for a while :air: 

On the bright side, I'm pumped for new album, Hatsukoi, We love a thematic genius :applause: (Hatsukoi = First Love, its her "20th" anniversary, etc.)

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

RAMROD
Just now, ItsTommyBitch said:

Also, just for some record keeping... She is recently divorced to the Italian man she married. Why can't her life just be happy for a while :air: 

On the contrary, it is  good thing she finally cut him off, nobody wants a freeloader, although she denied it, it probably because she is a private person, plus being Japanese, this kinda thing will bring shame so she need to calm it down, Utada deserves better. :shrug:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

ItsTommyBitch
29 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

On the contrary, it is  good thing she finally cut him off, nobody wants a freeloader, although she denied it, it probably because she is a private person, plus being Japanese, this kinda thing will bring shame so she need to calm it down, Utada deserves better. :shrug:

Fair. Divorce can be for the better. I just meant more of a like - her life seems turbulent at times, and stability is also cool sometimes :emma: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Julien Hatake

I discovered her with the Kingdom Hearts saga and wow I really love her :wub:

Passion is wonderful and the snippet of Don't think twice/oath makes me happy !

Eighteen
12 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Also, just for some record keeping... She is recently divorced to the Italian man she married. Why can't her life just be happy for a while

omg really? when did this happen? 

12 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

On the bright side, I'm pumped for new album, Hatsukoi, We love a thematic genius :applause: (Hatsukoi = First Love, its her "20th" anniversary, etc.)

is can we sing a love song from the new album? i find that song upbeat (but still tinged with some sadness). but very utada :P

Eighteen
13 hours ago, StarlightSeiya said:

Whenever I'm feeling down I sing or listen(or both) to Keep Tryin'. Love Hikki. So glad all her music is up on US Spotify. 

same :wub:

Green Detox

And she held the title for the fastest selling album in one week until Adele’s 25 snatched it😂

Archived