💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Beyonce Cultural Appropriation

Bam

Featured Posts

Okay, first off, I'm no SJW.

I don't like when people throw appropriation in the air. It's a bunch of bullocks. I think if it's tasteful and respects culture, then great.

However, it's hypocritical that Beyonce gets no hate when she's wearing egyptian clothing. Katy Perry got backlash when she put on a  japanese-inspired performance.

So my question is, are black people exempted from this 'cultural appropriation'? I was hoping news outfits would talk about it immediately but no. I loved what she wore but to be fair, people smash a lot of non-black when they are supposedly 'culture vulturing'.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PartySick

I feel like ancient Egypt has always been an aesthetic used by pop stars. Michael, Gaga, Bey, Madonna, Britney, etc. They've all done it and it's been done for decades so I'm not sure why anyone would make a big deal out of it :poot:

All that gold and sh*t looks tight :lolly:

Melanie, 5/29 | Janet, 7/20 💃💚✹

VOLANTIS

She's an AFRICAN-American woman. Katy Perry is not. I think that's how that works. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

Just now, VOLANTIS said:

She's an AFRICAN-American woman. Katy Perry is not. I think that's how that works. 

I get it she's AFRICAN but she's AMERICAN--PURE BRED AMERICAN. Just like katy is not EUROPEAN but AMERICAN. Some half-cultured people won't take culture from what they don't know and what they didn't live. I guess that's what the people's justification is.

I just wish people won't be throwing the appropriation tag everywhere especially caucasian people.

Jacksonotta

For some reason, it’s a big deal when a white person does it. I just think it looks cool and honors that culture. But people wanna complain about everything.

I'm obsessively opposed to the typical...

FfFfFfFF
6 minutes ago, VOLANTIS said:

Egypt is more Middle East :triggered: socially and politically 

Just now, FfFfFfFF said:

Almost all people there are arabian descent not black.

Frankenztein
3 minutes ago, VOLANTIS said:

Africa is a huge continent with vastly different cultures inside of it. Being African American isn't a free pass to take from any culture out of the 54 distinct countries inside of Africa. It's unlikely that all African Americans have Egyptian ancestry. 

That said, I don't really care about cultural appropriation and don't care at all about Beyonce dressing as a Spanish monk if she felt like it. 

Jacksonotta

I wasn’t born when Michael’s Remenber the time came out, but I’ve never heard anyone say anything about it. I love that video. But then again, he’s an African American too.

I'm obsessively opposed to the typical...

Borislshere
5 minutes ago, Bam said:

I just wish people won't be throwing the appropriation tag everywhere

You don’t want people throwing it around yet you just did :oprah:

Just now, PartySick said:

I feel like ancient Egypt has always been an aesthetic used by pop stars. Michael, Gaga, Bey, Madonna, Britney, etc. They've all done it and it's been done for decades so I'm not sure why anyone would make a big deal out of it :poot:

All that gold and sh*t looks tight :lolly:

Yeah. But there's this new wave of people who will throw the appropriation card everywhere.

Just now, Devyn said:

You don’t want people throwing it around yet you just did :oprah:

No. I love that she celebrated the cool egyptian culture. My point is here, where are the sjw when this thing happens? Why is it when non-black people do it it's appropriation?

ALGAYDO

She’s African-American, and Egypt is is Africa, so wouldn’t it just be more of a homage to her ancestors? But then again, as someone pointed out already, Egypt is way more Middle-Eastern when it comes to culture and politics, so I really wouldn’t know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

VOLANTIS
26 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

25 minutes ago, Bam said:

Almost all people there are arabian descent not black.

24 minutes ago, Frankenztein said:

Africa is a huge continent with vastly different cultures inside of it. Being African American isn't a free pass to take from any culture out of the 54 distinct countries inside of Africa. It's unlikely that all African Americans have Egyptian ancestry. 

That said, I don't really care about cultural appropriation and don't care at all about Beyonce dressing as a Spanish monk if she felt like it. 

I'm just saying I think that's why Beyonce celebrating her African roots is considered empowerment while it's not the case for Katy. :shrug:

Also if the OP is referring to her Coachella intro outfit only, it's not derivative of only Egyptian culture though.

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

Archived