Is Gaga pretentious?

edgy

Featured Posts

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SHALLOW
8 hours ago, Alan123 said:

I feel like she was being pretentious during The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way and ARTPOP to be honest. I feel like Joanne is truly her most honest album and as much as I have loved every album, sometimes I'd be like "Girl yeah sure" during her interviews. I love Gaga but come on, some of the things she has said in the past make her sound pretentious, especially during ARTPOP.

I think she was more pretentious during The Joanne Era, pretending to be her dead aunt. But that’s just my opinion :trollga:

Infinity Wave

OMG no shade and all but just f*ckin listen to a Rihanna or Mariah interview

Gaga is NOT pretentious. And, to be f honest, to be pretentious is NOT that bad if you really have the talent and all. And Gaga has it. So, a little bit of pretentiousness sometimes is good.

Colourful

nativenewyorker

She’s had her moments from TFM-ARTPOP. A lot of the ARTPOP interviews come to mind. Sometimes she just takes it a little too far when she talks about her work but that’s partly because of how passionate she is. I’m not understanding how people are calling Joanne pretentious and calculated. Everything a celebrity does is calculated. Gaga’s no exception. Her whole career has been calculated since she created Lady Gaga and the whole TF era persona. She’s great at marketing her albums but sometimes she says things like reverse warholian expedition or greatest album of the decade that make me roll my eyes. 

Ashley
3 hours ago, HYPODERMIC0 said:

I think she was more pretentious during The Joanne Era, pretending to be her dead aunt. But that’s just my opinion :trollga:

She wasn’t pretending to be her, and I don’t think you know what that word means.

Ronk
10 hours ago, giskardsb said:

I still find it odd that fans have a hard time reconciling FameGa and JoanneGa as both being simultaneously authentic.  It's completely possible for both to represent different parts of her personality, and her musical education and appreciation is generally much wider than many fans.  

For everybody arguing that FameGa was authentic and JoanneGa a ploy to widen her demographic, it is just as easy, actually easier, to argue that FameGa was a clear character designed to stand out and be noticed and Joanne was a return to the pure musician underneath.   Or, as is more likely, both are different reflections of the true Stefani in different mirrors.

Totally agree.  And doing things to widen her demographic is not a "ploy", it's what smart artists do if they have the talent.  I think it's great that she uses different styles, approaches, and even genres in different eras.  It's not pretentious if you're that multi-talented.

I live outside the space time continuum.

SHALLOW
37 minutes ago, modern ecstasy said:

She wasn’t pretending to be her, and I don’t think you know what that word means.

i know what that word means and i know why you might have thought i didn't know. 

:selena: Maybe she seems pretentious at times, I think she has every right to act like that because she is capable of creating wonderful art...Sometimes it does meet the expectations, sometimes not. But it's okay. Contrary to that, there is one mainstream artist(:ladyhaha:)  out there right now, who acts like and  tries to come off as this incredibly well-read, woke, intelligent, unique, talented, show-stopping person full of wisdom and philosophy but there is very little... substance... in what they do, there's nothing to hold on to, their art is presented and hyped up in a way it makes you believe that it is otherworldly. And they're not very smart either:trollga:   

Now that is what I call pretentious. 

Spoiler

Also, sometimes it is okay for an artist to be ''plain'' , if they can't be more than that. Selling the image of something that's more than what you actually have to offer, is just stupid. And pretentious.

Spoiler

Don't come at me with ''What about the ARTPOP era'' please :hug: ARTPOP was -

Spoiler

''I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about.'' - Oscar Wilde 

Spoiler

:ladyhaha: I love everything about ARTPOP era :wub: to me it's endless possibilities!

Lazlo

4 hours ago, nativenewyorker said:

She’s had her moments from TFM-ARTPOP. A lot of the ARTPOP interviews come to mind. Sometimes she just takes it a little too far when she talks about her work but that’s partly because of how passionate she is. I’m not understanding how people are calling Joanne pretentious and calculated. Everything a celebrity does is calculated. Gaga’s no exception. Her whole career has been calculated since she created Lady Gaga and the whole TF era persona. She’s great at marketing her albums but sometimes she says things like reverse warholian expedition or greatest album of the decade that make me roll my eyes. 

Actually, she's not:selena:

LePetitGAGABLover

Yes. For example when she does things like this:

I CRINGED so hard when I heard her fake italian accent

I felt it moreso during The Fame\Monster than through anything else (Alejandro video)

I felt it mostly during Joanne era.

I don't buy into that girl next door vibe she was trying to convey, I think it kinda failed and for me as a fan since 2010 it was really laughable. Even during TF she seemed more authentic than during Joanne. Thank god the era is over now.

Too many people here with moral superiority complex.

ryanripley
15 hours ago, GypsyBabe said:

Not really. People just love to call overly ambitious and confident women “pretentious.” I think that her intelligence, knowledge, and confidence about her music/art and her message can come across as pretentious to some. But I do not think she is truly a pretentious woman at all.

this

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

ryanripley
9 hours ago, HYPODERMIC0 said:

that's not being pretentious though

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Archived