Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga pretentious?

edgy

Featured Posts

Korok

I still don't believe she's the person she claimed to be during Joanne so to me that's her most pretentious era. I can't wrap my head around the idea of "returning to my roots", which is New York city, and then releasing a country themed album. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
derpmonster
16 minutes ago, Mer Boy said:

808609TheCultureShowLadyGagaTheMotherMon

She was just really tired and sleep deprived there.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Like all artists she does feel a little superior to most of her peers (which she high key is lol). You need to have confidence to the point that it almost looks like pretentiousness in the music business otherwise you will be swallowed up and chewed out. 

ryanripley
7 minutes ago, Korok said:

I still don't believe she's the person she claimed to be during Joanne so to me that's her most pretentious era. I can't wrap my head around the idea of "returning to my roots", which is New York city, and then releasing a country themed album. 

Red snd Blue is a similar genre so it kinda did return to her roots

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

25 minutes ago, gabeoz said:

Yes, but most of it was an act to be fair.

13 minutes ago, TheShameMonster said:

I feel like she knows when it is appropriate to be gaudy and extravagant and also when to tone it down. She's really humble when engaging with real people and her fans. In interviews and talk shows, ofc she's gonna want to say the best about what she's promoting. So I think it's inevitable some artists may come off as showy and ostentatious. But when she's interacting with fans and people on a regular day, she comes off as very modest, gracious and sweet (which can be proven by many fans' testimonies for her M&Gs).

e.g.

"Thank you for letting me hold your baby". :diane: Gracious queen :heart:

That's interesting because it makes me wonder if the pretentiousness was all part of her persona as Gaga ...

Fingerella
25 minutes ago, Tokyo Rose said:

A lot of people might call her whole "fashionista persona" and all that pretentious, but what I felt was pretentious was the whole Joanne debacle. 

As a fan since 2009, to watch her contradict everything she used to say about what she does felt pretentious. Wearing a blank white t shirt and jean shorts is not an artistic statement :smh: If your tired of dressing up just say it girl :smh:

And also, when the Joanne era started, she would say things on twitter like "Hi monsters, and new fans.."  :smh:

This tbh

shame
2 minutes ago, edgy said:

That's interesting because it makes me wonder if the pretentiousness was all part of her persona as Gaga ...

It probably is. I don't think she's pretentious by nature. I think the more suitable term to describe her is ambitious imo.

angels forever, forever angels

Sneaky Oliver

Shes not pretentious. She’s super ambitious. But she knows what she’s talking about. Sometimes she gets lost? Yeah.

Sometimes she wants to act like all humble and modest about what she does but she’s really that bitch! She talked about it during TF era that she always wanted to win over Natali when they were kids 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

CannaeDrive

It's called performance art :trollga:

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

58 minutes ago, Tokyo Rose said:

A lot of people might call her whole "fashionista persona" and all that pretentious, but what I felt was pretentious was the whole Joanne debacle. 

As a fan since 2009, to watch her contradict everything she used to say about what she does felt pretentious. Wearing a blank white t shirt and jean shorts is not an artistic statement :smh: If your tired of dressing up just say it girl :smh:

And also, when the Joanne era started, she would say things on twitter like "Hi monsters, and new fans.."  :smh:

I think that's more inauthentic than it is "pretentious" don't you think? 

It felt to me like Joanne was a calculated move and not a pure musical and artistic expression like her other eras because of those comments she'd say like the one you mentioned of "hi new fans.." it made me think that "Joanne" was all just to normalize her and to attempt snatching new "regular" fans. Obviously I'm not saying the music itself was not authentic but the era in itself and what she was saying about it all felt super calculated to me and a tiny bit contrived....wish we don't go through that again. 

misunderstood

No.

The word is just overused to shame people who aren't basic. Just because someone wants to be artistic doesn't mean they're pretentious. 

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

Reality
1 hour ago, Tokyo Rose said:

I don't think that she was trying to be pretentious by just wearing a t-shirt and jeans. The record was more stripped back and "analog," and I suppose she just wanted to convey through her fashion. Yes, there were some instances where she did wear more extravagant clothing, but there's a reason why we would all be surprised when she did so—it just didn't fit the record.

OT: I don't really understand why so many people say that she was pretentious during ARTPOP. What I think confuses some people is the ideology and the concept behind the album. It was bold, and quite frankly, sort of confusing, but it wasn't like she was trying to prove herself to be a better artist by putting "art in front of pop." 

🃏🖤👹

Ronk
1 hour ago, edgy said:

Pretentious (adj.) - attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

So, was Gaga ever pretentious? :oprah:

No.  She did not claim to have more importance in the industry than she actually possessed.  She did not claim to have more talent than she actually had.

I live outside the space time continuum.

wahkeenasitka
1 hour ago, Mer Boy said:

808609TheCultureShowLadyGagaTheMotherMon

she hadn't slept for days and was stoned out of her mind. 

Archived