opinion

Go see Love, Simon! [No spoilers!]

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

Attention Girls and Gays: This is a public service announcement-

Stop it Haroon I'm talking

mn9Dbhy.gif

This is a public service announcement for all you hunties who needed something to do this Easter Weekend.

I want you to drop everything and go see Love, Simon at your local movie theatre.

__5aaace669b89e.jpg

I watched it for the first time today and absolutely adored it, and I feel the need to recommend it to as many people as I can :tony: For those of you who are younger than 16 this movie might seem a little basic at first but you need to realize that this is a pretty big deal. Love, Simon is the first mainstream, teen-oriented film to feature a gay main character. I WISH I had a movie like this in high school :giveup: If 16 year-old me had seen this film I can't imagine how much it would've changed my life and boosted my confidence.

(PAUSE: Wait, PunkTheFunk, what is this movie even about?

A: Wikipedia says, "It centers around Simon Spier, a closeted gay teenage boy in high school who is forced to balance his friends, his family, and the blackmailer threatening to out him to the entire school, while simultaneously attempting to discover the identity of the anonymous classmate whom he has fallen in love with online.")

This movie will make you laugh and it'll make you cry (yes, I CRIED today and it was not cute :madge:). When it's over you'll just wish it could keep going.

love-simon-cast.gif

tumblr_p65fylf4W61xnwmcuo8_540.gif

If you love John Hughes movies (The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, etc.) this is definitely for you. And I will go so far as to say it's better than Call Me By Your Name. I'm sorry but I didn't enjoy watching two emotionally constipated Ken dolls be passive aggressive to each other in the Italian countryside for 2 hours.

Fight me.

3dEaS8H.gif

Anyway here are three other reasons you should watch this movie:

1. Nick Robinson. 

tumblr_p05jhsgWWa1r6vy8ho7_1280.gif

The main character is a total stud.

wellhello74r5s.gif

2. An amazing soundtrack, featuring Troye Sivan, the 1975, and this amazing song by Khalid and Normani which I'm sure you've heard by now (and which I've had on repeat for the last month :poot:)

Spoiler

3. Gaga!

Yes, you heard me right! Gaga makes two very small "cameos" in the film (don't worry -- this won't spoil anything, but I've put them in the spoiler just in case.)

Spoiler

In one scene a marching band plays Bad Romance quite prominently for about 8-10 seconds (and a minor character kind of sings along to it), and in another you can see this picture on the wall.

Lady-Gaga1.jpg

Nothing but respect for my Queen of the Gays!

Love, Simon is by no means the "perfect film". It definitely has areas that could be improved upon in terms of gay representation (which you can read up on after you've seen the movie), but overall it's a step in the right direction, and I think this is an outstanding movie that you need to see ASAP. The only way we can get Hollywood to make more films like this is if we show them that there's a demand for it, so go support it hennies! See it once, see it twice -- but what you should do is, buy out the entire theater and give tickets to everyone in your neighborhood!

Love, PunkTheFunk

giphy.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shame

"I'm sorry but I didn't enjoy watching two emotionally constipated Ken dolls be passive aggressive to each other in the Italian countryside for 2 hours"

tumblr_p18k4ouu8U1qetpq0o3_r2_540.gif

angels forever, forever angels

RAMROD

Did the gay boy got his cherry popped in the end? :sis:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Damon

It's a nice movie but I feel like I'm too old for it idk, but yeah if you are a teenager I highly recommend you watch this!

... and now i just sit in silence.

CarlsJrJepsen

I saw this earlier today as well! Nothing but laughs and tears from me! This is definitely a must watch if rom-coms are your thing!

PunkTheFunk
Just now, Antonoff said:

It's a nice movie but I feel like I'm too old for it idk, but yeah if you are a teenager I highly recommend you watch this!

I'm almost 23 and enjoyed it a lot actually! It's not filled with a bunch of references that only teenagers would get, which I liked. It feels timeless

3dEaS8H.gif

Haroon
8 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Attention Girls and Gays: This is a public service announcement-

Stop it Haroon I'm talking

genie_zipper.gif~c200

Spoiler

It's on my list of movies to watch and this made me more excited for it :woohoo: Glad you had a nice watch :yay:

Contrapoints

Ah yes another gay movie created by the Homosexual Agenda™ to escalate my hopeless romanticism that I might one day actually have a wholesome and meaningful romantic encounter with another hunty, only to face the harsh reality that im too ugly for that shït as soon as the movie ends.

Sign me up

yaaas.png

PunkTheFunk
Just now, Haroon said:

genie_zipper.gif~c200

Hide contents

It's on my list of movies to watch and this made me more excited for it :woohoo: Glad you had a nice watch :yay:

You know I have nothing but love for you Haroon :pray:

Now go see it ASAP

tumblr_oxwg50KJpv1vcoi3wo1_250.png

PunkTheFunk
1 minute ago, Haiii said:

Ah yes another movie created by the Homosexual AgendaTM to escalate my hopeless romanticism that I might one day actually have a wholesome and meaningful romantic encounter only to face the harsh reality that im too ugly for that **** as soon as the movie ends. Sign me up

This movie will make you feel hopeful, not hopeless

tumblr_oxwg50KJpv1vcoi3wo1_250.png

Damon
1 minute ago, PunkTheFunk said:

I'm almost 23 and enjoyed it a lot actually! It's not filled with a bunch of references that only teenagers would get, which I liked. It feels timeless

3dEaS8H.gif

ik but i feel like it came out from a book written by john green back in my teenage years tbh, it's not that I'm saying that it's bad or snything though, I liked it

btw i'm shook we are the same age

... and now i just sit in silence.

PunkTheFunk
6 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Did the gay boy got his cherry popped in the end? :sis:

I heard a bone in my back pop when I stood up from the theatre seat, if that counts

3dEaS8H.gif

Contrapoints
Just now, Antonoff said:

ik but i feel like it came out from a book written by john green back in my teenage years tbh, it's not that I'm saying that it's bad or snything though, I liked it

btw i'm shook we are the same age

wait... this wasn't written by John Green?

C_rVhyPVwAAfOcO.jpg

Archived