opinion

There will never be a (NEW) major pop star

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

NotMyFlop

with spotify, soundcloud and streaming in general, the market is becoming overcrowded. 

it’s not all bad, it’s giving rise to niche artists and allow their few good songs to explode (post malone, chance the rapper, dua lipa, cardi b...) whereas 10ish years ago you needed the label and money to make that happen. 

i genuinely think Gaga was the last major pop star to emerge. no one this decade has the cultural power she had, or any past major pop stars had. 

sure, ed sheeran & drake are streaming FORCES and can produce #1s, but realistically what power do they have outside of music?

when gaga’s debuted, she was EVERYWHERE. music, fashion, the punchline on shows. all over the news. who was she (or he :ladyhaha:)? what is she gonna do/wear next? from 2009-2011, you could not escape gaga’s grasp on pop culture. 

music today is more fleeting than ever. post malone, cardi b and other big artists will soon succumb to the next big artist of the time — it’s why gaga & beyonce struggle to have massive chart success. 

but, legends are legends. they came at a time where people could become legends and they will forever be remembered for their impact. 

what do you think?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Bling

I agree that the Internet is making it really hard for the "new Gaga" to happen, but it's not like any other artist as creative or fierce as Gaga has appeared yet :gaycat:

I strongly believe that, with time, a new Madonna/Britney/Gaga shall rise, we just need a perfect candidate, which seems to happen every 10 years :gum:or that's what I hope tbh

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

NotMyFlop
9 minutes ago, The Bling said:

I agree that the Internet is making it really hard for the "new Gaga" to happen, but it's not like any other artist as creative or fierce as Gaga has appeared yet :gaycat:

I strongly believe that, with time, a new Madonna/Britney/Gaga shall rise, we just need a perfect candidate, which seems to happen every 10 years :gum:or that's what I hope tbh

it could happen, but if we can be realistic you’re gonna need a better debut than just dance. :trollga:

the next major pop girl will need to bring something new to the table. gaga brought pop music back to the mainstream, reinvigorated music videos and live performances and became the first coveted artist on the internet. 

idk how the next “new” major star can top that. 

NotMyFlop

:selena: 

she has one big song. i wouldn’t count her out for getting bigger, but. no one says that about camila after havana and that song was (on the charts) bigger. 

Lord Temptation
13 minutes ago, Jed said:

Beyoncé has a greater cultural impact as we speak. Ever since self titled she has been the big pop star.

But Beyonce was already a massive music and film star (for over 15 years!) before her self-titled album came out in 2013. First with Destiny’s Child and then after 2003 as a solo singer. 

The OP is right. Gaga truly was the last superstar. Now that streaming is dominant there will be plenty of fads (Chainsmokers, Daddy Yankee etc) BUT there won’t be any new longlasting legends like Gaga, Beyonce or Britney, people who everyone knows who they are.

1979: video killed the radio star

2013: streaming killed the superstar

:unicorn:

I don't know - I think this is something that's said every decade or so. I don't remember what show (could be 60 minutes, Oprah or Diane Sawyer maybe?) talking about Whitney Houston and how people didn't think there would be another superstar before she came along.

I think we will see new artists come up and establish dominance. I think especially as sites like Youtube continue to grow we will see artists come up on social media more than ever before, we will see breakout stars that will find huge and loyal fanbases and they will have incredible streaming numbers on Youtube and elsewhere.

The sort of connections and influence they will have over their large and loyal fanbase, I think, will be pretty huge and I think the opportunities from that are kind of limitless. Even think with youtubers today, big Youtubers like KSI can hold a boxing match that has more viewers than wimbleton, he can have his own #1 book, star in a movie, have his own music career... Old media might not pay attention to him because he hasn't found success in traditional formats - but once a social influencer does find large success in traditional media I think their influence will be incredible.

Even look at Logan Paul, he makes $20 million a month or something stupid selling merch. His fanbase is so loyal that he filmed a dead body in the suicide forest and it only made his channel and monthly views rise (If you watch film/game theory on Youtube you would see why - when reputable media outlets link your video it makes the Youtube algorithm think your videos and content is good and important should be seen and pushes it to everyone). 

My prediction is that the next big superstar will come from social media like Youtube, will score a couple of major hits in their debut which will create media buzz, more views, more growth and make that artist huge. Their videos will create content for the old media, who will post about it, generating more views and growth for their channel and they will be a dominant figure online and in the old media. 

FATCAT

That's just because pop is dead. Give it a few years, when Pop makes a resurgence, and there will be new pop stars.

Purr more, hiss less.

AlexanderMagno

Never say never.

To be honest, Gaga's success was already quite unexpected and on a scale that no one thought could happen again. I believe there will be a new major pop star, but you can't expect that to happen every year. Let's talk in ten years.

NotMyFlop
3 minutes ago, Fable said:

My prediction is that the next big superstar will come from social media like Youtube, will score a couple of major hits in their debut which will create media buzz, more views, more growth and make that artist huge. Their videos will create content for the old media, who will post about it, generating more views and growth for their channel and they will be a dominant figure online and in the old media. 

i could see this being the case, but the only major star from youtube or other social platforms is bieber.

shawn mendes (not that cute btw :stalkga:) has few hits, and tori kelly has had moderate hits. i know there are others, but even those platforms are overcrowded. 

NotMyFlop
9 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

1979: video killed the radio star

2013: streaming killed the superstar

:unicorn:

stop. why did this make me emotional? :laughga:

Contrapoints

I don't know, I think we've just hit a small slump cycle in the pop music scene. And as for a major "Gaga-like" pop star, they don't usually come around that often tbh, maybe once every 10-15 years.

thierryrreiht

“She is, in a way, the first and last Pop Star

she's the last of the immense ones that just appear out of nowhere with killer music and are able to remain popular years after their peak. (Now we mostly see stars come from different platforms, brought up by fans and social networks rather than dropping an album as an unkown artist to ultimately ruling it all)

and she's the first of the modern digital age, with YouTube, covers, social networks, etc.

only our queen

Archived