Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Grace Jones or Madonna: Who's The Biggest Inspiration to Gaga?

Eros92

Featured Posts

I feel like a lot of people tend to say that Madonna has been Gagas biggest inspiration but I just find it to be a blind comparison. I feel like Grace Jones has had a bigger impact on her. The outlandish over the top high end fashion and provocative pushing of social norms was something Grace did MILES better then Madonna ever did and was really the spark that kinda ignited the flame that was Madonna and later on Gaga. What do you all think?

bloody g

Madonna clearly

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

monketsharona

Her biggest inspirations are definitely : David Bowie, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Queen and Elton John.

Edonis

In general I think Gaga’s art is kind of a mix of the older musician/artist form that stopped after Madonna’s peak in the early 90’s.

Her fashion and music has always kind of been a tribute to those sorts of artists but with a twist. So basically I think it’s unfair to say one inspired her more than the other; particularly when Jones was a major fashion influence and Madonna was a musical influence (particularly in Gaga’s early years). I think it’s fair to say it’s a mix, depending on what we're talking about.

Luxe Ford

I think you're right. But I guess the fact that Gaga and Madonna are both (often) peroxide blondes, Italian catcholics and are knows for their constant image changes make people choose the eaisist route and decide Gaga is a Madonna copycat. 

I also think any white woman who reaches a certain, very high, level of success will be compared to MDNA (methylene dioxy nethamphetamine).

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

That J

Madonna.  And that's not a bad thing. But that's not the only artist who has inspired Gaga. Nobody is just inspired by one person.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Spoiler

400full.jpg

I mean, it's kinda obvious why people say gaga copies madonna.

On the other hand, idk who Grace Jones is, maybe I'm too young? so can't really answer your question 

If she keeps listening to her fans then it’s going to be Madonna. She clearly heard you about Madonna’s Music era. 

tumblr_nsqehbf0pQ1uzk2x8o2_1280-810x801.

Borisapillar
1 minute ago, Laceface said:

Grace was for early TF for sure & Bowie. Just Dance/Let's Dance. The Fame/Fame

Fashion/Fashion says hi.

Impostor

Gaga's work is closer to Madonna's work, but still not as big and wide, or even as provocative.

I don't see Gaga next to Grace Jones, besides some looks like the Born This Way video being inspired by corporate cannibal.

PunkTheFunk

Everyone who was on the "Greatest Hits of the 80's" CD her parents bought for her birthday.

Robinladen

Grace Jones stayed true to one aesthetic throughout her career. The Fame matches it the most, but Graces style was often more androgynous than Gaga ever was. 

Gaga and Madonna have a similiar background and just more in common. Throughout Gagas career a lot can be linked to Madonna in some way.

Archived