💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

achievement

The "Joanne effect": Pop stars go country

shame

Featured Posts

"Call it the Joanne effect."

In the article by E!News, they discuss the reinvention of Miley, Kesha, JT and even Kylie Minogue following the success of Joanne's country-inspired aesthetic and sound; and how many artists are reverting to a back-to-basics kind of style revolving around the personal, the intimate, as well as the family.

rs_1024x758-180201165909-1920.justin-tim

"When Lady Gaga released her fifth studio album in the fall of 2016, no one expected the pop diva behind dance floor fillers like "Poker Face," "Born This Way" and "Applause" to make a hard detour into Americana-courting, country-inflected folk-pop-rock pastiche, but that's exactly what we got. The pink cowboy hat donned on the album cover that came to define the era in her career was no random fashion choice. Rather, it was indicative of the singer's decision to country-fy every genre she dabbled in on the record, as if each track was sporting a pink cowboy hat of its own.

"However surprising Gaga's make-under was—and make no mistake, to some die hard fans who'd fallen in love with the diva's outre fashion and unparalleled electropop, the move was perplexing, to say the least—no one could've predicted that she was merely the beginning of a trend in pop music that's still kicking up dust today.

rs_1024x702-171006040037-1024.miley-cyru

"The first signal that a handful of pop music's biggest names would be following in Gaga's footsteps in an attempt to connect with "this girl in the middle of the country somewhere crying her eyes out in the field," as she revealed to E! News she had in mind when crafting Joanne, came in May of 2017 when Miley Cyrus debuted "Malibu." Attempting to rebound from setbacks both personal (her 2015 experimental album, Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz, was a bona fide flop) and political (she'd campaigned for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential race), Cyrus began crafting an album that her father, Billy Ray Cyrus, told Billboard was "Miley leaning into her roots more than I've ever heard."

rs_1024x576-170801094536-1024.kesha-rain

"Around the same time, a more successful country-influenced reinvention was taking place, as Kesha began her powerful Phoenix-like rise from the ashes... 

"While the single, which would earn the critical consensus of being the artist's most authentic song ever as well as a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Solo Performance, didn't bear many hallmarks of country-influenced pop, the ensuing album, Rainbow, was littered with tracks clearly inspired by who Kesha referred to as her "true" musical influences: Dolly Parton, T. Rex, The Rolling Stones and Iggy Pop.

"Look no further than lead track "Bastards," the rollicking "Boots," the Johnny Cash-haunted "Hunt You Down," or the Dolly Parton cover "Old Flames (Can't Hold a Candle to You)," which comes with an assist from Parton herself. This was Kesha, perhaps for the first time, leaning into what actually interested her musically while she worked through the pain that had come to encompass the past few years of her life.

""I feel like myself for the first time ever," she told Rolling Stone in October, after the album debuted at No. 1 in August. "And I made a record I'm extremely proud of, from the bottom of my guts – I excavated the most gnarly lyrics that were so difficult for me. And people still like it! It's really beautiful, and it's very healing. I feel like I'm being seen for what I actually am, and people are OK with it."

rs_1024x759-180202045245-1024-Justin-Tim

"Of course, talk of this pop-gone-country trend would be incomplete without turning to Justin Timberlake's big return ahead of his Pepsi Super Bowl LII Halftime Show performance with his fifth studio album, Man of the Woods. In the lead up to the release of the album's first single, the Tennessee-native began setting the stage for what was to come. "It sounds more like where I've come from than any other music I've ever made," he told The Hollywood Reporter before the project even had a title or release date. "It's Memphis. It's Southern American music. But I want to make it sound modern — at least that's the idea right now."

Just two days in 2018 came the album trailer, revealing the Man of the Woods title and Timberlake's outdoors-y new look. "This album is really inspired by my son, my wife, my family, but more so than any other album I've ever written, where I'm from," he said in the video, released on Twitter, as imagery of horses running and wide open fields passed by. "And it's personal." Wife Jessica Biel, appearing in a cowboy hat, can be heard saying, "It feel like mountains, trees, campfires. Like Wild West," as someone strums a fiddle. All signs pointed to this being Timberlake's long-rumored country album.

kylie-minogue-dancing-2018-billboard-154

"With pop music's sudden fascination with all things Americana (and perhaps more likely, with reaching a middle American audience who's been vocal about feeling ignored by mainstream entertainment), it's clear this trend isn't done just yet. Even Australian-born international pop star Kylie Minogue, someone whose entire life couldn't seem further removed from the American South, is dabbling in the country-influenced waters. For her upcoming fourteenth studio album, Golden, the majority was recorded in Nashville, a town that she admitted "had a profound effect on" her. The music video for lead single "Dancing" even finds the Aussie songstress doing her best line-dancing boot scooting boogie.

"But as more and more musicians find themselves drawn to the country music scene, their chances for success will rely on one thing: Authenticity. And as the last year has proven, that's harder to come by than some clearly think. Modern pop artists live and die by their ability to reinvent themselves, but sometimes even the best reinvention artists stumble. And while that might sound like the impetus for a great country song, for some, it might be best to just know when to fold 'em. Or better yet, know when to walk away."

Full article here: http://www.eonline.com/au/news/911386/justin-timberlake-isn-t-alone-inside-the-year-that-pop-went-country-to-mixed-results

What do you guys think? Was there subtle shade towards Gaga in the last part of the article or was the acknowledgment of Joanne's influence a respectful praise? Imo, I think Joanne definitely fell on the genuine end of the authenticity spectrum and was truly inspired by Americana roots and country music rather than dabbling in the genre for the sole purpose of reinvention. It was probably a soothing style that helped Gaga heal through her breakup, physical pain and the residual sorrow within the Germanotta family. She's been surrounded by country vibes as she took up farming for the past couple of years and learned to play guitar. Joanne the record was definitely reflective of that sincerity. Although I don't think Joanne's sound was specifically the reason for reintroduction of folk-country-pop, I think it definitely inspired other artists to go back to their roots, focus on healing and family, and strip down their sound.

angels forever, forever angels

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UnnamedArtist

Joanne is the queen of influence and new trends. :sure:

It hasn't even been 24 hours since the conclusion of the Joanne era and the media is already acknowledging its legacy :diane:

Stay woke, E!News :applause:

angels forever, forever angels

Sneaky Oliver

And she will reinvent herself again and start new trends because she's that bitch :sis:

In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel living in the Garden Of Eden

It's no coincidence that after The Fame, everyone started to go electro, and avant-gardish. Now after Joanne, everyone is going country. Literally the queen of shaping music.:firega:

I don't understand pineapples, so I don't eat bananas.

Ella Taylor

Artists look up to Gaga for what to do next. When Gaga's does something, it takes a minimum of 5-6 months for her impact to show up in other artists. After Born This Way, 2012-2015 was all about empowering yourself and acceptance.

MC

Archived