💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Lady Gaga working with Jonas Akerlund again

Featured Posts

alposnacks

I think her and Knight's work on BTW is pretty spectacular as well (actually, some of the visuals in that opening are downright visionary), but, yeah, Khondji is an immensely talented DP (worked with the likes of David Fincher, Wong Kar-wai, Woody Allen, Jean-Pierre Jeunet...seriously, his resume is pretty staggering), and their work together really shines.

I agree, BTW was my undisputed favorite era video until MTN came along :legend:

Judas/TEOG/Yuyi were honestly all disappointing in their own ways. Not bad but not up to par with what I expected after Paparazzi/Bad Romance/Telephone and even Alejandro.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BLACKOUTbritney

• MelbHawker

• Rollercoaster

• kupo

EGOT2027

I think MTN is one of her best videos in terms of art/concept - but the editing wasn't perfect. There are errors - cameras a visible in certain parts, as is a crew member. The first half is better in terms of it's editing than the second half. The car/fire/roof top scene to me needed to be looked at more closely. It's a little rough, there's a minor pause when she slides down the car and at times, the fire has not been edited into the shot which annoys me.

I love the dance sequence; it's perfect. In the past I've though there was too much of it but it's the choreography to MTN. I always get so pissed when the choreography is ignored - so I'm happy we got to see it all. But the end dance sequence needed focusing on tbh. It was ignored and it was visually awesome so. Anyways, opinions vary. A 14 minute music video was excessive a little self indulgent - but good on her for taking a risk and putting something out the public has not seen for a very long time.

I'm hoping for cleaner music videos in terms of narrative and editing next Era - that don't ignore the choreography.

I'm really curious now. When is a crew member visible and when can we see a camera? Also could u specifically point out the other errors.

IMDB needs to start doing the goofs on music videos! Hahaha.

aaronyoji

I actually think her acting is quite good? I post specifically at a film board, and people were roundly impressed with her. Her scene at the hospital is played very well, without her giving over to complete scenery chewing histrionics, and feeling somewhat subdued (which of course plays up the contrast with when she does bring the histrionics, breaking mirrors and showering herself in Cheerios). I think she showed great improvement here from Telephone.

Now, I really can't argue one way or the other over whether it's pretentious or excessive. I don't even know what pretentious means the way most people use it anymore (most seem to mistakenly use it when they simply mean, "I find it too serious"). What kind of pretense exactly is the video laboring under? It's pretty up front and honest about its lofty philosophical aims and French arthouse influences while still maintaining a great sense of humor (mimed bjs, aforementioned Cheerio showers, and comically large metaphorical hats). And having lofty ambition while maintaining a sense of camp sounds like Gaga through and through. And as for excessiveness, all I can say is that there definitely aren't any scenes that don't fit into the puzzle of themes and ideas she's made so, even at 14 minutes, it doesn't feel at all indulgent or excessive to me. It feels like a storyteller knowing what story she wants to tell and setting out to do just that. She indulges her muse, yes, but all great artists should.

:clap: love it!

also, pretentious basically means when one tries to showcase a sense of knowledge or culture without actually having a smart grasp on culture/art/etc. so in this case, no it is not pretentious, because gaga knew what she was doing directorial wise, as u stated above.

MelbHawker

I'm really curious now. When is a crew member visible and when can we see a camera? Also could u specifically point out the other errors.

IMDB needs to start doing the goofs on music videos! Hahaha.

Just before the hall scene cuts to the Rooftop scene/moon image.. you can see a crew member in the top right corner of the balcony. The camera is visible in the last dance scene in the street when it's focusing on the dancers doing the movement where the shake their feet and bend over (you have to be extremely alert to see the camera but you can see it!). Small I know, but an error that can be avoided in future.

Sativa Pollux

Jonas is a genius!

she mentioned a mini-movie or short film to promote her new perfume. wonder if they are working together on that.

Robinladen

Jonas is a genius!

she mentioned a mini-movie or short film to promote her new perfume. wonder if they are working together on that.

No, Steven Klein is working on the short film for the perfume. :)

Squidward T

:yes: