Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gypsy - Decoding the Song

Caca

Featured Posts

Sometimes a story has no end
Sometimes I think that we could just be friends

According to Gaga,
"This song is about travelling the world, and sometimes being really really lonely, but being okay with being alone, because I have my fans. When I get to that different country ever day, they are my home, just for the day."
In context, the “story” that Gaga describes is her relationship with her lover, which she might have to give up on due to the fact that she cannot spend time with this boy often.
Gaga often doubts if the relationship is true, due to the fact that she is always on tour. Lady Gaga is hoping to keep the story of their relationship unfinished so they can have a future together.

6gokji4l0l26tdz2mpjfwd4ig.500x221x28.gif

"'Cause I'm a wandering man," he said to me
"And what about the future plans?

Gaga has been through some tough times lately, and she is not entirely sure what or who she should put her faith in. This might not necessarily mean within the context of a relationship; she might be criticizing the idea of non-commitment to art, work, love, or any number of things.
A similar theme emerges in Aura, with lyrics such as this:
I’m not a wandering slave I am a woman of choice
My veil is protection for the gorgeousness of my face

9b256d2782c360f68fab13e4168619c1.487x532

Does this thing we have even makes sense?
When I got the whole world in front of me?"
So, I said...

Gaga is having a very serious case of self-doubt. Oh no!

018e145bd2c7251d9e983d35b68b42e0.858x540

Our Mother Monster is not sure if this relationship is going to last, due to the fact that it is very long-distance. She is always travelling to exotic countries like a gypsy, but this is preventing her from dedicating herself to her lover.

a8ebea83a576dd8f2991cc8aac90f680.750x100

I don't wanna be alone forever, but I can be tonight

She doesn’t always want to be alone, but if she has to be tonight, that’s alright. She’ll survive the loneliness for a little while.

I don't wanna be alone forever, but I love gypsy life

Simply put, nobody wants to be complete and utterly by themselves. However, Gaga must keep the show on the road and keep touring around the world. However, the cost of this is loneliness, which is a price that Gaga is actually willing to pay.

2a1e9e6f2e4bb4670dc2acbb8e893684.350x234

In addition to this, Gaga loves pleasing the people of the world, and enjoys their applause. This is gone into more detail in the next song on ARTPOP, “Applause”.

So I just packed my baggage, and
Said goodbye to family and friends
And took a road to nowhere on my own
Like Dorothy on a yellow brick

Just like Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz (a famous book to be reference), she followed her lover into the unknown, where the world amazed her with sights better than Oz.

She found some friends later, but at the beginning, it was just her and Toto.

b98f4j2e594p5cj02s6mq9s4m.500x272x20.gif

The Wizard of Oz is one of those stories Lady Gaga likes referencing, since she mentioned the iconic twister during her iTunes Festival concert.

She also foreshadowed this line when she pulled an Oz theme for her Good Morning Americaperformance of Applause.

78ikztlto3f6ymc4skpzujm5d.630x355x1.jpg

Hope my ruby shoes get us there quick
'Cause I left everyone I love at home

Dorothy would click her ruby slippers together and say “There’s no place like home” three times to get back home to KANSAS.

50l2xo7ib6f3mlxmyu7kh9j7n.500x290x14.gif

Gaga is lonely, so hopefully that will do the trick for her as well…

'Cause I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm a gypsy, gypsy, gypsy, I'm
I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm a gypsy, gypsy, gypsy, I'm

A signature of Gaga/RedOne collabs is a stuttering hook, and Gypsy is no different. This portion of the song was designed to be an earworm. After all, the song is a potential single.

She’s a gypsy; she doesn’t have a home. She does rent an apartment in NY, but she’s never really there she’s always going all over the world for performances or other events.

I said, "Honey, it's simple
It's the way that you love and treat your mother."

“If you want to know what a man’s like, look at how he treats his lessers, not his equals”
Although a mother is not entirely “lesser”, she is definitely vulnerable to be taken advantage of by her children. Gaga’s lover ignores this, and instead cherishes and appreciates his mother, a quality that anyone, man or woman, would love in a partner!

I'm a man without a home, but I think with you, I could spend my life

As a musician, she doesn’t need a home since she’s always traveling the world touring, promoting things, etc. But if there is one thing she can commit to, it's her lover.

Pack your bags and we can chase the sunset

It’s another romantic line. Chasing the sunset is an adventurous desire, motivated by the desire to travel the same speed than the sun.

d0cs8p3t1ti4130tox0qmxg3j.350x402x1.jpg

Note: This is the first line revealed from “Gypsy”, via a magazine interview.

9etzca50bfig7odlpsfvwtvbm.640x717x1.jpg

Bust the rearview and fire up the jets
'Cause it's you and me

She’s referring to turning on a car. She wants to runaway to wherever with her boyfriend.

a4dajld4a1za7j7jd3gd2gqps.488x487x1.jpg

Outro
The outro is reminiscent of the altered lyrics found in “Born This Way (The Country Road Version)”:

From London, Paris, Japan, back to USA
Yeah, I was born on the road, I was born to be brave

Though “Gypsy” targets more specific geographic areas and is more specific in its name-checking than that of the “BTW (The Country Road Version)” the concurrent theme of both is travel, in that she is constantly experiencing various parts of the world, no matter how brief.

I'm Italian,

REAL NAME: Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta! With a name like that, she’s DEFINITELY Italian. The New York-born, Gaga’s father is full italian and her mom is “Italian, French-Canadian, English, German, Scottish”.

ag5ms4x2h3n53lqx5pv756mh6.300x300x2.gif

Asian kompai

Konpai is Japanese for “Cheers!” Gaga flashes her cute and clever side here as she drops some basic Japanese. And while she’s not Japanese, she has a loyal following on the Asian country.

84ajdvmeoitdq893vzgbk45dw.420x300x1.jpg

I don't speak German, but I try

The opening line in Schieße was:

"I don’t speak German, but I can if you like"

and she used faux-German throughout the song; this is a strong reference to that song.

1hh4qgki9rjq9ys7548xy9j6x.609x480x1.jpg

Someday in Jakarta

3aiu1u6tllp4i73rlkymievw6.268x53x1.jpg

Jakarta, Indonesia was one of the stops on the Born This Way Ball that had to be cancelled due to controversy over Gaga’s influence over the youth. (Guess the critics decided that it was wrong.)

Even though Gaga wasn’t able to properly visit Jakarta, the city still imprinted her heart.

e72i8gsrbmxfdjuyagszpsgtd.420x304x1.jpg

Sweden, Finland, Norway

These are the three countries of Scandinavia, located in northern Europe.

Gaga stole Swedish fans' hearts long ago with her video for Paparazzi. Swedish website The Localsays:

…what really captured Swedish fans’ attention was her murder-plot inspired short-film of a music video for the song “Paparazzi”. Not only did it feature Swedish heartthrob Alexander Skarsgård as the romantic lead, but it also had a lengthy introduction with Gaga herself speaking Swedish with her co-star.

While it was only a handful of short sentences, it’s clear that the singer goes gaga over the Swedish language just as much as the Swedish men. The video, which was directed by another Swede, Jonas Åkerlund, has been watched on YouTube over a million times.

This is such a long post omg... :toofunny:

Mrs. Caca's career found dead in a ditch, re-evaluation process started.

1 minute ago, Eighteen said:

is it asian kompai or asia kompai? 

Idk?

amazing! 

I LOVE GYPSY. It feels sad and happy, bitter and sweet at the same time. It's a celebration and a mourning.
I literally love it. 

Just now, Citrine said:

Also reportedT the thread because Duplicate post.

what lol?

Just now, Fish said:

what lol?

Nevermind.

Sneaky Oliver

I haven't listened to Gypsy for a while, I guess i'll listen to it right now! Thanks :sara:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

This is iconique tbh.

018e145bd2c7251d9e983d35b68b42e0.858x540

I spent so much time writing this and not even an inch of feedback? :grr:

Also guys, what song should i decode next?

NewUsername
37 minutes ago, Citrine said:

I spent so much time writing this and not even an inch of feedback? :grr:

Your post is nicely made, kudos for that, but I feel like most of the people on here already knew most of it, because if you know Gaga the lines kinda speak for themselves...  Not trying to be harsh :selena:

10 minutes ago, Driezewies said:

Your post is nicely made, kudos for that, but I feel like most of the people on here already knew most of it, because if you know Gaga the lines kinda speak for themselves...  Not trying to be harsh :selena:

Should i do Aura?

NewUsername
4 minutes ago, Citrine said:

Should i do Aura?

I'm not sure what song should be the best :) Whatever you feel like!

Archived