💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

US Charts Discussion

Americano

Featured Posts

Carly must be getting sales from Amazon or remixes to beat Katy by 34k last week.

Either that or Katy lost sales to "complete my album."

Yes - I think Katy lost quite a few sales to 'Complete My Album' on itunes. However I wonder if the Amazon deal:

"Had it not been for Brown's new "Fortune" release, we would have seen a surprise return to No. 1 for Katy Perry, as her "Teenage Dream" set zooms from No. 21 to No. 2 with 80,000 (up 417%) -- and its best sales frame since Christmas of 2010. The set was one of 20 titles the Amazon MP3 store sale priced for 99 cents -- for one day only -- on July 3. (Perry also benefits from buzz earned by the release of her "Part of Me" film, which hit U.S. theaters on July 5.)"

- is a way of trying to reduce the effect of Complete My Album on the charting of the single by getting people to buy the album from Amazon instead, as well as increasing the album sales.

Also

"All of the Amazon MP3 action blocks Flo Rida from earning his third top 10 album this week, as his new "Wild Ones" debuts at No. 14 with 31,000. It's likely that without the Amazon deal, "Wild Ones" would have bowed at No. 9 -- as there are five discounted titles that jumped ahead of Flo this week."

I think sales of albums discounted below $3.49 should not count towards the Hot200 top 10 regardless of how long after release it is (i.e. their position becomes capped at #11 at best).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arturo

• Klou

• Americano

• craig

Top Posters In This Topic

Oyemiamor

I think sales of albums discounted below $3.49 should not count towards the Hot200 top 10 regardless of how long after release it is (i.e. their position becomes capped at #11 at best).

I completely agree with you. I really don't get the point of it counting if it is 99 cents on release day or 2 years later. The point behind the change was so that artists couldn't basically give their albums away for free to spike their sales. It is still spiking sales and creating a buzz even two years later.

I'd set the minimum at 1:99 - at least that's more than one hit song on itunes, and the lowest price for a bargain bin CD at my local used shop. Yet it still allows discounts as a sales technique.

Go Amazon, it's not good for itunes to have such an exclusive hold.

All of the Amazon MP3 action blocks Flo Rida from earning his third top 10 album this week, as his new "Wild Ones" debuts at No. 14 with 31,000. It's likely that without the Amazon deal, "Wild Ones" would have bowed at No. 9

Cue Flo stans flooding Billboard with emails of outrage ... oh wait it's Flo Rida. :cool: .

Edited by craig

Oyemiamor

I'd set the minimum at 1:99 - at least that's more than one hit song on itunes, and the lowest price for a bargain bin CD at my local used shop. Yet it still allows discounts as a sales technique.

Go Amazon, it's not good for itunes to have such an exclusive hold.

Cue Flo stans flooding Billboard with emails of outrage ... oh wait it's Flo Rida. :cool: .

I don't really care where they set the price or if they set it at all, it should just be consistent. Clearly this rule is a work in progress as it didn't fully prevent what they intended it to. Amazon simply is being intelligent and finding loop holes.

Oyemiamor

Following up RCA R&B bruiser Chris Brown’s #1 debut yesterday, look for a very different act with the same nameâ€â€Atlantic country-rockers Zac Brown Band’s Uncagedâ€â€to bow in the top spot on next week’s tally, with a total that looks headed for between 210-225k.

That number beats the group’s last studio album, You Get What You Give, which came out in Sept. 2010 with 154k in sales, by more than 45%. This is the band’s third album for Atlantic after two independent releases.

The week’s big story is controversial Def Jam/IDJ avant-R&B crooner Frank Ocean, a member of the L.A.-based hip-hop collective Odd Future, who will open with a very impressive 110-125k as an iTunes exclusive for his major label bow, Channel, Orange. Ocean surprised everyone by Tweeting the album would be made available after his network TV debut Monday night on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon singing “Bad Religion†from the release. With an appearance on Jay Z and Kanye West’s Watch the Throne albumâ€â€that’s him introducing the disc’s “No Church in the Wildâ€â€â€as well as a best-selling mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra, Ocean is burning up the blogosphere.

hausofmike

Lol at every big site saying Katy's album going up to #2 was because of a 99 cent discount and her fans are going "only the queen in week 98" or w/e

:lmao:

WA stuck at #4 on hot 100

Arturo

Lol at every big site saying Katy's album going up to #2 was because of a 99 cent discount and her fans are going "only the queen in week 98" or w/e

:lmao:

WA stuck at #4 on hot 100

:toofloppy:

Just A Holy Fool

*waits for Blow Me (One Last Kiss) to hit #1 on iTunes :excited2: *

It would be fitting if P!nk cockblocks Katy from that #1 since Katy Perry basically is P!nk, only without any talent and fire. :laughga:

GO P!NK!

NathanC

*waits for Blow Me (One Last Kiss) to hit #1 on iTunes :excited2: *

Flo just snatched her weave :nails: :pukey:

BTWB tour Australian leg sold out.

So far the tour is sold out.

Total gross of 68 millions dollars !

Madonna is at 49 millions so far and her tour debuted 2-3 weeks later than the BTWB.

Those are ****ing impressive numbers !

Source: Billboard.com

:legend:

Lots of juicy info today :)

Billboard 200: @KatyPerry's Teenage Dream jumps from #21 to #2 with 80,000 (2,354,000 total) -- its best sales frame since Christmas of 2010

Billboard 200: @EllieGoulding's Lights vaults from 116-21 with 23,000 (196,000) - a new weekly sales high for the set and its best rank yet. :lala:

Billboard 200: @JustinBieber's Believe holds at #3 with 70,000 (560,000 total).

Billboard 200: Adele's 21 spends its 72nd straight week in the top 10, falling 7-9 -- its lowest rank yet -- with 41,000 (9,533,000 total).

"21" is now tied with Alanis @Morissette's Jagged Little Pill for the most weeks in the top 10 for an album by a woman (72).

US sales: @Rihanna's six studio albums have sold 8,392,000 copies.