Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Define Commercial Success

Twitter

Featured Posts

gabeoz
Just now, Radio Ga Ga said:

Proof that gaga is back tbh

Imagine what it could have been if it were properly promoted, it probably would at least be top 20

A bomb music video with a couple of other festival appearances could've done wonders for the charts.

SlayGagaloo
1 hour ago, DeanWinchester said:

At the absolute minimum:

Album: Platinum in pure album sales, 2x Platinum SPS in US ONLY, 2x Platinum in pure album sales, 3x Platinum SPS WW within the first three months of album release

Singles: Either one single peaking inside the top 5 and staying there for at least 6 weeks -OR- 2 singles peaking inside the top 10 and staying there for at least 4 weeks; total 1m pure US sales, 2m US SPS; 2m pure WW sales, 3m SPS WW within the first month of single release

Touring: Minimum $150m tour gross

These look commercially successful enough. I'm not even asking for a TF+M sized era. Somewhere around BTW would be excellent and just as a personal thing, I believe Gaga needs to serve at least this in one of her eras past her first decade in the industry to completely dispel any notion against her being over or being in decline since her debut.

Poor Gags :selena:

Over.

Gagaloo911
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

TC fell from 50 to 84 this week :giveup:

Point is, it has had no promo since she performed it at Coachella, and is still charting. 

My VERY reasonable definition of success for a popstar signed to a major record label:

- Platinum album in the US, Platinum album in the UK & respectable figures elsewhere

- At least 4 singles from an album with two of them going top 10/15 on the Hot 100

- Respectable streaming figures (so around 200M on spotify for the first 2 singles & 200M views on VEVO for the MV of the first 2 singles)

- Longevity on the BB200 & Hot 100 for albums and singles. Peaks don't matter much if you at least have longevity

- Able to tour the world with your record 

That's pretty much my definition of a commercially successful era for a popstar signed to a major label and that gets the opportunity to get their music played on radio and perform on TV shows etc...If you are a artist signed to an indie label or if you do not get your music played on radio and don't get TV promo even if you are signed to a major record label then the bar of success is set differently imo. For example Grimes & Melanie Martinez etc... should not be held at the same standards to major popstars like Katy or Gaga. 

Archived