💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

UK Charts Discussion - Track "Applause" here!

Jase

Featured Posts

Jase

Where is Bastille - Laura Palmer? :ohno: gone already? 

It just never really took off :ohno:

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

An out of sight album, two flop singles in a row + a disastrous show in Manchester the other night. Things are certainly not looking good for her over here.

I wouldn't call it out of sight. Its sold over 600,000 copies and is one of Rihanna's fastest selling albums yet (but that could partly be the reason why its charting so low so soon - the bulk of sales were over pretty quickly instead of her usual gradual sales mostly due to it being released after just one single). But yeah, 2 flop singles in a row is generally a sign that it's game over (and hey, she's never had a #1 in the UK after the second single). The Manchester gig may have resulted in being pelted with crisps but it was just one of many gigs that were mega late. She showed up late to her Birmingham gigs too and basically every other date worldwide. Yet, despite all this, she isn't called a flop, even though Gaga's singles did better overall than hers. I think the break that she's about to embark on could well cause her to improve artistically, but it's anyone's guess what a break will do to her career at this moment. We saw what happened after she took a break with Rated R (no UK #1 singles, only 2 top ten singles, an album peak of #9, barely 600,000 copies sold, barely 10,000 people attending each arena on tour...). And Rated R came after the biggest hit album of her career. Her next album is going to follow just a moderately successful album. If her star really is fading, a two year break after flop singles and a tour where she repeatedly showed up hours late doesn't bode well.

I saw that Robin Thicke's album debuted with 25K sales. Is that normal? Because his song is a million seller [or at least close to that mark] and smashed hard so his debut #'s really surprise me.  :eek: I mean, it's still a #1 debut. 

That's 10K less than Femme Fatale, which opened at #8 with 35K in April 2011.  :sweep: I didn't realize the decline in album sales was so steep in the UK.  :fat:

Just out of curiosity's sake, how do any of you predict Britney's album will do? She still doesn't have a #1 album in the UK and I'd be happy to see her get one. She'll be releasing either in late November or early December. How are album sales around that time? Would, let's say, 50K, be enough for a #1 in that time period? 

Jase

I saw that Robin Thicke's album debuted with 25K sales. Is that normal? Because his song is a million seller [or at least close to that mark] and smashed hard so his debut #'s really surprise me.  :eek: I mean, it's still a #1 debut. 

That's 10K less than Femme Fatale, which opened at #8 with 35K in April 2011.  :sweep: I didn't realize the decline in album sales was so steep in the UK.  :fat:

Just out of curiosity's sake, how do any of you predict Britney's album will do? She still doesn't have a #1 album in the UK and I'd be happy to see her get one. She'll be releasing either in late November or early December. How are album sales around that time? Would, let's say, 50K, be enough for a #1 in that time period? 

Nah, album sales normally pick up a few weeks before Christmas, so she doesn't have a chance I'm afraid. She'll go top 10, but no more

As for Thicke's sales, yeah, 25k is around what I'd expect. Album sales are absolutely terrible right now

Nah, album sales normally pick up a few weeks before Christmas, so she doesn't have a chance I'm afraid. She'll go top 10, but no more

As for Thicke's sales, yeah, 25k is around what I'd expect. Album sales are absolutely terrible right now

Ah, well, to be honest, I'm more concerned with Britney's sales more than her actual peak position so it's good to know that sales pick up a lot around the time she releases. :teehee: ITZ peaked at #13 but went 2X Platinum, so I hope her next album can peak in the Top 5 and go Platinum. :emma: 

Jase

Ah, well, to be honest, I'm more concerned with Britney's sales more than her actual peak position so it's good to know that sales pick up a lot around the time she releases. :teehee: ITZ peaked at #13 but went 2X Platinum, so I hope her next album can peak in the Top 5 and go Platinum. :emma:

Britney's releasing when the UK X-Factor shows go live, so I REALLY hope she gets off her ass and promotes this era. I want her to be huge again here

Britney's releasing when the UK X-Factor shows go live, so I REALLY hope she gets off her ass and promotes this era. I want her to be huge again here

I'm scared that she'll lip sync and get backlash like she did last time.  

But they might be recreating the Circus era promo campaign for this album, so let's hope so! :excited2: 

StrawberryBlond

His sales are perfectly reasonable for a one hit wonder like himself. He released another 2 singles from that album and they went absolutely nowhere, so it's clear nothing else he releases is going to be a hit. No doubt some people listened to it before buying and thought "no thanks." Selling just 25k with a huge price reduction also speaks volumes. Carly Rae Jepsen had a huge #1 hit here with Call Me Maybe and another big top ten with Good Time, yet she just scraped into the top ten with her album and it dropped right out after a couple of weeks. One hit wonders here tend to be unable to translate their one-off single success into big album sales. Unlike the US charts, where you debut on the UK charts is mostly down to 50% luck and 50% how well you plan your release date. Release it at the right time, you can get a #1. Release at the wrong time, and you could be lucky to get in the top 40. Tulisa's album debuted at #35 with sales of 15,000, which would normally have been sales big enough for a #1 debut, but because she released it so close to Christmas, when album sales in general are huge, she had an embarassing flop. In August 2012, Talk That Talk returned to #1 on the chart despite being 9 months old (purely down to iTunes price reductions) with sales of just 9,578. This holds the record for the lowest selling #1 album in UK history. Had Tulisa released her album 4 months earlier, she would have been #1. This is why #1 albums are pretty much meaningless here.

And while Christmas sales can be huge in the UK (seriously, Michael Buble sold 1.2 million from October to December which is unheard of here), it depends on the artist. I'm sorry to say that Britney is not one of them. She hasn't had a solo #1 since 2004. Her album sales are extremely lackluster. Her tours haven't pulled in much. The only reason S&S did so well here was because it was will.i.am's song and he's huge in the UK at the moment. In most countries it was Britney that sold the song, but not for us. Britney's UK fanbase has seriously dwindled over the years and they don't stand a chance against the army of Gaga, Katy, Rihanna and 1D fans. It's pretty much a given that Rihanna's taking a break from her annual November release, but Gaga and 1D are confirmed to release albums in October/November and Katy is tentatively going to release at the end of the year too. Britney will just get trampled on.

His sales are perfectly reasonable for a one hit wonder like himself. He released another 2 singles from that album and they went absolutely nowhere, so it's clear nothing else he releases is going to be a hit. No doubt some people listened to it before buying and thought "no thanks." Selling just 25k with a huge price reduction also speaks volumes. Carly Rae Jepsen had a huge #1 hit here with Call Me Maybe and another big top ten with Good Time, yet she just scraped into the top ten with her album and it dropped right out after a couple of weeks. One hit wonders here tend to be unable to translate their one-off single success into big album sales. Unlike the US charts, where you debut on the UK charts is mostly down to 50% luck and 50% how well you plan your release date. Release it at the right time, you can get a #1. Release at the wrong time, and you could be lucky to get in the top 40. Tulisa's album debuted at #35 with sales of 15,000, which would normally have been sales big enough for a #1 debut, but because she released it so close to Christmas, when album sales in general are huge, she had an embarassing flop. In August 2012, Talk That Talk returned to #1 on the chart despite being 9 months old (purely down to iTunes price reductions) with sales of just 9,578. This holds the record for the lowest selling #1 album in UK history. Had Tulisa released her album 4 months earlier, she would have been #1. This is why #1 albums are pretty much meaningless here.

And while Christmas sales can be huge in the UK (seriously, Michael Buble sold 1.2 million from October to December which is unheard of here), it depends on the artist. I'm sorry to say that Britney is not one of them. She hasn't had a solo #1 since 2004. Her album sales are extremely lackluster. Her tours haven't pulled in much. The only reason S&S did so well here was because it was will.i.am's song and he's huge in the UK at the moment. In most countries it was Britney that sold the song, but not for us. Britney's UK fanbase has seriously dwindled over the years and they don't stand a chance against the army of Gaga, Katy, Rihanna and 1D fans. It's pretty much a given that Rihanna's taking a break from her annual November release, but Gaga and 1D are confirmed to release albums in October/November and Katy is tentatively going to release at the end of the year too. Britney will just get trampled on.

Oh wow. Guess Britney will be lucky to scan Gold/Platinum and debut in the Top 10. 

I'm surprised that will.i.am still hasn't outsold FF despite having really successful singles in the UK consistently. I believe his album is at around 60K, maybe less, which still isn't even Gold, which FF managed to scan in the UK. Do you think he can scan Gold if he keeps the hits going? Bang Bang went Top 5, correct? 

Another question, he's executive producing Britney's album, could that potentially help her shift albums or at least singles over there? He's bound to promote some of his work with her since it's a big step for him so I'm hoping his involvement in her record can help her out a bit.  :redface:

Has Burn been released to radio in the UK yet? It's doing well in Australia and New Zealand, so hoping it does in the UK as well.

SomethingMore

Has Burn been released to radio in the UK yet? It's doing well in Australia and New Zealand, so hoping it does in the UK as well.

Its doing also great in the US. #16 on iTunes !

Its doing also great in the US. #16 on iTunes !

Yes, but it's not being played on radio yet. It's getting played in Australia and New Zealand where it pushed the song to top 5 in both countries :)

glitterintheair

Oh wow. Guess Britney will be lucky to scan Gold/Platinum and debut in the Top 10. 

I'm surprised that will.i.am still hasn't outsold FF despite having really successful singles in the UK consistently. I believe his album is at around 60K, maybe less, which still isn't even Gold, which FF managed to scan in the UK. Do you think he can scan Gold if he keeps the hits going? Bang Bang went Top 5, correct? 

Another question, he's executive producing Britney's album, could that potentially help her shift albums or at least singles over there? He's bound to promote some of his work with her since it's a big step for him so I'm hoping his involvement in her record can help her out a bit.  :redface:

he's already released a few singles from the album and he's a judge on the voice and he used that to promote himself. i'm not sure what more he can do to sell the album now unless he drags it out by releasing nearly every track like calvin harris did - it worked for him! i think the controversy about taking (too much) influence from other songs hurt the sales too. didn't it debut at #3 then leave the top 10 or something?

he's already released a few singles from the album and he's a judge on the voice and he used that to promote himself. i'm not sure what more he can do to sell the album now unless he drags it out by releasing nearly every track like calvin harris did - it worked for him! i think the controversy about taking (too much) influence from other songs hurt the sales too. didn't it debut at #3 then leave the top 10 or something?

I'm not sure, I never followed its chart performance just its sales. 

How much did Calvin's album sell? :teehee:

glitterintheair

I'm not sure, I never followed its chart performance just its sales. 

How much did Calvin's album sell? :teehee:

as of this week about 635,000 - 281,200 this year and the rest between october and december!

Archived