💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Cultural Appropriation

theahsfan

Featured Posts

DelusionalGaga
2 minutes ago, shmal96 said:

I don't see everyone dragging Gaga for Burqa (among many others) tho when you drag other artists for appropriation. 

But that's why she changed Burqa to Aura. She realized that some people would be offended

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you didnt grow up being informed of how your ancestors were treated as less than human beings and had their culture ripped from them once before, then sure you wont understand what it feels like to see the the present day beneficiaries of your ancestors torment yet again reminding you of the stigmatization of your skin color when whites are praised for an "urban look" 

the cultural appropriation issue is a more innocuous than the major issues with racism but you cant pretend to not understand where the attitude towards it manifests from

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

donutellha

HERE'S THE GODDMAN THING: Appropriation leads to miseducation:

For examples, most geishas are HIGHLY trained entertainers and it takes YEARS of studying and practice to do what they do. But when you think of geishas in the west, what do you see? Japanese prostitutes. WHy? Because of people like this:

katy-perry.jpg?w=700 

This way of dressing is NOT only offensive to the people (as an asian american myself) but is also another way of seeing white hollywood taking our culture and SELLING IT OFF AS A PRODUCT.

Walk down the runway but don't puke, it's okay. You just had 10 donuts today. Without frosting.

Supersonic
2 minutes ago, Easy said:

I hope what I'm going to say won't offend anyone. 

So what you are implying is that the insecure people tend to call out people for cultural appropriation even if the artist didn't intentionally make his or her work racist meanwhile the millions of the people from the "homeland" are usually cool with it? It is really hard for cultural exchange then. I usually find incorporating other's culture in your life or an artwork is a cool way to show respect. Like how non locals I see everyday sometimes wear Chinese inspired clothing, tbh I think imma just cal, this cultural appropriation accusation of everything bullshit.

The thing is: It's not about people from the homeland. Absolutely not. It's about the millions of immigrants who are mocked, threatened and killed for their culture they brought with them, while the establishment can just cherry pick aspects of that culture, make it a trendy fad for people to wear, while simultaneously upkeeping the threatening atmosphere for the people who originated it.

This is nothing about cultural exchange, because there is just one side taking and taking while the other does not get anything back.

6 minutes ago, buddh1sm said:

what point are you trying to make? just bc greeks eventually took over egypt doesn't erase egyptians being black or even eventually mixed. i'm talking about egyptian culture, from africa, being white washed and glamorized by old hollywood. i'm talking about an african culture that got exploited by white hollywood and in turn modern musical artists. its just one example. kind of like how japanese culture did change when americans from wwii came over there. but was still largely japanese. i'm saying a white hand or mederterranian hand being stuck in a culture doesn't erase what its really about. but what is happening today with exploiting and beyond "borrowing" is messed up. 

i'm saying katy isnt a good example of white washing, it's just a cleopatra type of thing she seemed to want to pull off and that chick was greek. idk where juicy j fits into the picture but it was a pretty fun music video.

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

donutellha

If you haven't had your culture constantly ripped off by white people (Gaga included in the rare instances) and therefore misunderstood, do NOT try to speak on top of other people who are experiencing it.

Instead, pass the freaking mic to THEM.

/argument.

Walk down the runway but don't puke, it's okay. You just had 10 donuts today. Without frosting.

donutellha
2 minutes ago, Luiz said:

i'm saying katy isnt a good example of white washing, it's just a cleopatra type of thing she seemed to want to pull off and that chick was greek. idk where juicy j fits into the picture but it was a pretty fun music video.

But do you realize those stereotypes and romance are the ONLY things people remember about her? And how of that she was a (relatively) wise ruler that kept her country stable and prosperous DESPITE being a female ruler is overshadowed?

It's time to educate, and use stereotypes for profit and to give off a bad generalization of people.

By her usage of minority cultures, she is TEXTBOOK DEFINITION of whitewashing.

HOTNebraskaGuy
6 minutes ago, donutellha said:

HERE'S THE GODDMAN THING: Appropriation leads to miseducation:

For examples, most geishas are HIGHLY trained entertainers and it takes YEARS of studying and practice to do what they do. But when you think of geishas in the west, what do you see? Japanese prostitutes. WHy? Because of people like this:

katy-perry.jpg?w=700 

This way of dressing is NOT only offensive to the people (as an asian american myself) but is also another way of seeing white hollywood taking our culture and SELLING IT OFF AS A PRODUCT.

So you wouldn't be offended if she were Japanese, regardless of how originally in touch with her ancestral culture she was  or if she had actually studied/trained to be a geisha? 

One, five, ten lay a million on me

donutellha

And let me lay out the groundwork, if you want to talk about minorities "stealing" white culture, it's because COLONIZATION forced it upon us to make it the norm. To survive, we HAD to be like you or ACT in your mannerism and BELIEVE in your religions and DRESS in your clothes or face death. They were the ones who whitewashed OUR cultures, so that we would fall slave to them, but guess who managed to keep OUR cultures alive to share with the world, only for them to be misterpreted by MORE WHITE PEOPLE? 

US.

donutellha
Just now, HOTNebraskaGuy said:

So you wouldn't be offended if she were Japanese, regardless of how originally in touch with her ancestral culture she was  or if she had actually studied/trained to be a geisha? 

I wouldn't be offended if she bothered to educate herself about the cultures, in which she admitted to not doing in the witness streams (she also apologized for other instances)

You see, if she had studied the culture, she would have known that what she wore was wrong and did NOT represent the culture.

10 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

The thing is: It's not about people from the homeland. Absolutely not. It's about the millions of immigrants who are mocked, threatened and killed for their culture they brought with them, while the establishment can just cherry pick aspects of that culture, make it a trendy fad for people to wear, while simultaneously upkeeping the threatening atmosphere for the people who originated it.

This is nothing about cultural exchange, because there is just one side taking and taking while the other does not get anything back.

Guess I missed the part of how immigrants are mocked. In where I live the majority of population is local, I don't really have a chance to see it that way. Thanks for giving me a whole new perspective. :hug:

I'd say I can still incorporate other cultures in my life as long as I do it with respect? 

2 minutes ago, donutellha said:

But do you realize those stereotypes and romance are the ONLY things people remember about her? And how of that she was a (relatively) wise ruler that kept her country stable and prosperous DESPITE being a female ruler is overshadowed?

It's time to educate, and use stereotypes for profit and to give off a bad generalization of people.

By her usage of minority cultures, she is TEXTBOOK DEFINITION of whitewashing.

no, its just a music video using an aspect of history to emphasize the "magic" aspect of the song and the mystery within the egyptian curses and religion. 

its so extra to come for her for something as insignificant as that :emma: 

fun :green: 

donutellha
Just now, Luiz said:

no, its just a music video using an aspect of history to emphasize the "magic" aspect of the song and the mystery within the egyptian curses and religion. 

its so extra to come for her for something as insignificant as that :emma: 

It's the issue of them using it as a costume. In real life, this takes away the serious aspect of our cultures, and people can not take us seriously for what we do because they can only see it as an aspect of a music video.

I understand why you believe it's a reach, but if you haven't been bullied due to these "usage of aspects" in mass media (if you have, please correct me), please don't try to expand on the influence of whitewashing.

Archived