💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne>>>Melodrama

Quark

Featured Posts

Drin Lon

Opinions are like assholess, everybody has one :trollga:

In all honesty I love both albums equally. I prefer Melodrama's production more and I like the lyrics and the overall theme of Joanne better. However the fact that an album like The Fame Monster, which has influenced the whole industry this decade, has a score of only 78, blatantly shows that the critics are biased towards Gaga, and that's not am opinion, it's a fact.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joanne definitely deserved better scores, but Melodrama deserves every good score it's getting, don't have to pull someone down to prove your point

Fernster7

Million Reasons alone shits on half of Melodrama, let's not.

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

I love both Joanne and Melodrama. I can see why the critics would rate Melodrama higher though. I can also see why Melodrama won't be quite as succesful (comercially) as Joanne. Don't really see the reason to bash either of the artist though, they're both very talented people.

RonnieGagz

I love Joanne, but in my opinion Melodrama is better.

Some Joanne songs have a very simple production. Such as Joanne (even if I love the song), Come To Mama, Million Reasons and Hey Girl.

Even Melodrama's ballads have this cool synthpop sound.

Lorde's lyrics usually talk about the same thing, lets be honest, but her writing is impeccable. Gaga can talk about a lot of things in her music, but her lyricism isn't that great.

And lets not forget that Lorde is just 20 years old. She's very young to release a put together album like this.

I still agree with the biased part tough. Gaga should have received better metacritic grades. But hey, at least she isn't being dragged all the time like Katy Perry by the critics.

I would give Joanne: 8.0

And Melodrama: 9.0

♡Gaga♡TØP♡Nightwish♡Lana♡Lorde♡Grimes♡

Pharamon
4 hours ago, Craig Barnes said:

Not as big as a journey as Joanne:trollga:

Joanne wasnt a journey at all tbh :awkney:  what you even saying mate

UnlikelyStan

In my opinion Joanne is better than Melodrama, any album Lady Gaga's ever released, and any album Lorde has ever released.

The vocals are incredible, the instruments are real and played by humans (not just computer generated sounds), the lyrics are great, and you can hear her emotion in every song.

It has also aged wonderfully. It takes a while for an album to digest for me. I feel like once people get used to melodrama they'll change their mind.

Every time I hear any song on Joanne it instantly melts away all of my anxiety and soothes me. The albums are so different so it's hard to compare them but for me Joanne wins by leaps and bounds.

Young, wild, American... Lookin' to be something

flopheart

they're very 2 different albums but i guess melodrama is above joanne, amazing production and lyrics, it really let you in the atmosphere of the album

xoxo Craig
20 minutes ago, Skrill said:

Joanne wasnt a journey at all tbh :awkney:  what you even saying mate

Melodrama isnt a journey either:awkney:

End Racism Now

Ziggy
7 hours ago, Darren92 said:

Playing the Devil's advocate here but she did only start hanging out with Mark Ronson post Super Bowl (2016) who was riding high off of mainstream popularity from Uptown Funk. Not that PI is at all similar, it does go with perhaps some points made by critics in a sense. Although, for the most part I do agree with OP and am not really a Lorde fan– her album is more cohesive aestesically and flow-wise? Just my opinion and thoughts. Just to clarify, I do enjoy more songs on Joanne in comparison to the slower songs Lorde does but hers comes off a bit more authentic.

Tbh that seems to be more of Lorde's thing. Gaga is theatrical which can sometimes come off as inauthentic or performative.

Rockets

I'm sorry but this isn't even about opinions, some things are just objectively true: Joanne is a really good abum that I still enjoy listening to after all these months, Melodrama is more than that. Musically and Lyrically is one of the best albums that I've listened to in the last couple of years. You have to give credit to artist when thay do an excellent job, and honestly she really nailed it with this one. And this is coming from someone who didn't like Pure Heroine at all. You talk about biased critics but bias alone can't give you 93/100 on metacritic the same day the album is released, like come on. 

The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes

Quark
5 hours ago, bumblebee said:

They are different, and by saying that I mean that they are the best examples to illustrate that music is all about variety. But if we try to look at them from the angle of their pop culture context rather than from the indisputable idea that to everyone - his or her own taste, then.... 

1. Joanne is more entertaining. Call it what you want, it is actually a more upbeat, moderately rockish and funky record; its strong country flavour originates in Gaga's choice of instruments over electronica, and maybe the adress of the Americana theme which is often easy to mistake for country. It is more upbeat than Melodrama, more diverse in the sense that it can move from Perfect Illusion to Million Reasons to John Wayne and then to Joanne. Gaga is all about fast narrative. 

2. Melodrama is, on the side, more about the sophistication of description which Lorde masters to the songwriting limits. She is very good at capturing the moments which are more reflective than almost anything on Joanne. Melodrama does have stories of its own, but they are more psychological and the record feels like a study of self in an attempt to capture the mood of time. And there's a lot more empty space and silence in the production of Melodrama, and the space and flow coupled with lower registers of her voice do not race as much as they race on Joanne. 

3. Joanne songwriting has more fantasy and even some noir surrealism to it than Melodrama. Melodrama is more about psycho-biographie when it comes to panning the songs, with even confessional elements to it. Gaga is singing about cowboys and racing to the moonlight, about mirrors and coming down the mountains, dragging love affairs, which is her weird fantasy world, while Melodrama, depsite having its own surreal moments, is more relatable when it comes to putting make-ups and ordering drinks in bars. 

4. Finally, Lorde is in the limelight with Melodrama, and Gaga has long left the pop-limelgiht. We tend to think that Lorde on her new record is taking pop music into some new direction or at least helping it evolve in some way, while Gaga is elegantly old-fashioned on Joanne, and doesn't seem to be bothered by trends in pop music any longer.  

Great post.

Fame IV
8 hours ago, IAmDavid said:

Lmao Melodrama is MANY LEVELS above Joanne :rip::rip:  

in your opinion

and my opinion can be MANY LEVELS above yours :)

A Star is Born ⭐

doppelganger

Joanne is criminally underrated by Gaga's fans. It is her best album after all ... The live instruments, rawness, plus Gaga has improved tremendously as a lyricist and no longer hiding behind grand and polished productions. 

Melodrama is really great too. Being away from the limelight is great for an artist making a personal album. The album is modern and polished. It's atmospheric and I love the harmonies. 

I can't say one is better than the other. But I will say this though - In a concert setting, I'd take Gaga and a band performing Joanne any day.

Archived