đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
charts

Was Joanne a flop? (Be honest)

theahsfan

Featured Posts

Spanish Eyes
20 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

No, it's not a flop by today's standards. That's the key term.

If this was say, 2009 or 2010, its performance would be considered a disaster. But album sales have spiralled downward dramatically every year since 2013. Ever since the introduction of streaming, getting a big hit on the charts doesn't count for as much as it used to. Nowadays, you can be a massive streaming artist and Vevo artist but not have big actual sales. Now it's possible for an album to have millions of streams but not actually have sold all that much. We're in a world now where selling 1 million copies worldwide of an album is considered a good performance. The concept of "albums are for the fans" has never been stronger than it is now. I don't know anybody who buys the music of anyone who isn't their among their top 3 faves. In a climate like that, for Gaga to sell 1.3-1.4 million of Joanne worldwide in just 7 months is outstanding. There are younger, more relevant artists than her out right now who can only dream of selling that much. Gaga is the rare breed of singer now who can actually sell an album with or without successful singles.

Most artists whose lead single failed to hit top ten in the majority of the world like PI and MR did would be lucky to sell 500k worldwide, honestly. In fact, their record label would probably halt the album and re-work it or even shelf it altogether. And even if it did get released, it wouldn't get a tour. But Gaga got the album out no problem, she's sold over a million and is getting a tour, short as it may be. I must add that apparently, when chart types analysed the information, they found that if it hadn't been for streaming counting towards sales, MR would have gone to #1 in the US after the SB. It had the biggest sales that week, but because other songs were bigger streaming hits, it had to settle for #4. So, in old school terms, MR was a #1. Think about that for a minute. Remember that Katy Perry's lead single this era peaked at #4 in the US and her follow-up singles have failed to reach top 40 thus far. Gaga's second single went to #4. That tells you something. Also, this means that Gaga's had a more recent solo hit than Katy (her last one was Roar in 2013).

Lemonade was the bestselling album of 2017 and it sold 3 million worldwide. If that's the benchmark we're going on, Joanne has done amazingly well especially as, in most of the world, there has been no hits from it at all. I once heard a music industry bigwig say that someone who can sell over a million copies of an album despite said album not producing any hits, is a sign of someone who will have a long career in the industry.

Now, girls, I'm gonna need you to read and reread this post. It tells NO lies.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edge Of Venus
On 5/31/2017 at 7:37 AM, Supersonic said:

Best selling album of 2016: Beyoncé - Lemonade - 3M copies sold worldwide

Comparison: Lady Gaga - Joanne - 1,4M copies sold worldwide (so far)

Joanne sold 800K in 2016. It did not sell another 600K in 2017. :awkney: or are you talking about SPS?

btw

Joanne is a cute lil success in the US but it flopped in most countries (except Italy and Brazil).

Edge Of Venus
On 5/31/2017 at 9:31 PM, Debithius said:

Girl, it did so much better than ARTPOP :toofunny:

Well it really didn't... ARTPOP (released in November) was the 25th best selling album in 2013 while Joanne (released in October) was the 27th of 2016. Joanne had a nice boost in 2017 during the Super Bowl week but that was it. ARTPOP also had bigger hits and Joanne's SPS (WW) won't even reach ARTPOP's pure sales. But then again, I've never considered ARTPOP a massive flop.

Debithius
1 hour ago, Edge Of Venus said:

Well it really didn't... ARTPOP (released in November) was the 25th best selling album in 2013 while Joanne (released in October) was the 27th of 2016. Joanne had a nice boost in 2017 during the Super Bowl week but that was it. ARTPOP also had bigger hits and Joanne's SPS (WW) won't even reach ARTPOP's pure sales. But then again, I've never considered ARTPOP a massive flop.

U forgot 3rd best selling female album of 2017. Also, U cant really compare pure sales. Streaming etc has changed a lot since 2013 hun. Thats when streaming becam popular and people buy even less albums today.

Edge Of Venus
5 hours ago, Debithius said:

U forgot 3rd best selling female album of 2017. Also, U cant really compare pure sales. Streaming etc has changed a lot since 2013 hun. Thats when streaming becam popular and people buy even less albums today.

But Joanne isn't a streaming success and that was my point. Joanne's SPS won't even match ARTPOP's pure sales. 

Debithius
17 minutes ago, Edge Of Venus said:

But Joanne isn't a streaming success and that was my point. Joanne's SPS won't even match ARTPOP's pure sales. 

It does much better on spotify than ARTPOP tho. 7 months with those streams are good. ARTPOP hade better youtube streams even tho that doesn't realllllyyyy matter because....it's youtube....and Joanne did better on Spotify.

• 3 weeks later...
Zombie

It was a flop not because of the sales or impact. It flopped because there's nothing iconic in it, not even one single song was WOOW.... She used to give me chills with every song single or not. Ughhh just to think that we are probably going to wait more than two years for the next album makes me wanna cry

LordEnigma
19 minutes ago, Leonardo Fox said:

It was a flop not because of the sales or impact. It flopped because there's nothing iconic in it, not even one single song was WOOW.... She used to give me chills with every song single or not. Ughhh just to think that we are probably going to wait more than two years for the next album makes me wanna cry

Sorry, Million Reasons will be an iconic single in her library for the GP. And I think that was the point of the album.

All of my friends sing that song... I haven't seen that type of response to a Gaga song since BTW was number one for weeks.

AnnTakamaki
24 minutes ago, Leonardo Fox said:

if it was a flop then witness must be a tragedy :ladyhaha:

Gangie

After its release my friend said that it's a trash.... but yesterday he said that Joanne is brilliant... So the answer is sample. 

If I like it, then that's what I get!

Zombie
11 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

Sorry, Million Reasons will be an iconic single in her library for the GP. And I think that was the point of the album.

All of my friends sing that song... I haven't seen that type of response to a Gaga song since BTW was number one for weeks.

Ok, everybody already forgot about Million Reasons but im still listening to Poker face in the radio

11 hours ago, EvilCat said:

if it was a flop then witness must be a tragedy :ladyhaha:

Bringing Witness into this make you feel better about Joanne? so sad.

thehanyo
11 hours ago, Leonardo Fox said:

The pink hat is iconic.

Future Grammy nominee Million Reasons is also iconic. Everyone knows the words to it.

AnnTakamaki
14 minutes ago, Leonardo Fox said:

Ok, everybody already forgot about Million Reasons but im still listening to Poker face in the radio

just like you bring gaga, Joanne down every theard, sad :reductive:

re di tutto

It sold like 550k pure sales in the US and in today's sales climate it's big. These days artists rarely touch 1 million.

LordEnigma
27 minutes ago, Leonardo Fox said:

Obviously poker face will be more iconic than million reasons... but that doesn't mean MR isn't iconic in itself. It really defines the direction Gaga is going and the GP loves it

Archived