13 hours ago, Debithius said:

These threads again, honey, please.

No it was not a flop, it did better than ARTPOP, 

It is really not a flop but that's a mistake

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sepsami

I don't consider it a flop, it had a very good debut week and sales afterwards and MR was a #4 hitand bestselling (non-collab) song by a female

Debithius
1 minute ago, IAmDavid said:

It is really not a flop but that's a mistake

Girl, it did so much better than ARTPOP :toofunny:

Fiona Apple
Just now, Debithius said:

Girl, it did so much better than ARTPOP :toofunny:

In what way? :awkney: The only thing that ARTPOP had worse,is the negativity

Joanne                                           ARTPOP

1,3m                                                  2,5m

Flop lead                        Smash x3 platinum lead

x1 platinum second           x1 platinum second but with less promo and was worldwide

No relevance in awards          Won a few awards 

Also she had more Youtube power in ARTPOP.

Debithius
1 minute ago, IAmDavid said:

In what way? :awkney: The only thing that ARTPOP had worse,is the negativity

Joanne                                           ARTPOP

1,3m                                                  2,5m

Flop lead                        Smash x3 platinum lead

x1 platinum second           x1 platinum second but with less promo and was worldwide

No relevance in awards          Won a few awards 

Also she had more Youtube power in ARTPOP.

First of all, ARTPOP is almost 4 years old so bye with that.

Second of all, Joanne - 1,3m in 7 months. When will ARTPOP? Not Million Reasons about to be a bigger hit than Applause and more likeable. Joanne will easily top those stats considering it has only been 7 months. Sashay away.

Fiona Apple
Just now, Debithius said:

First of all, ARTPOP is almost 4 years old so bye with that.

Second of all, Joanne - 1,3m in 7 months. When will ARTPOP? Not Million Reasons about to be a bigger hit than Applause and more likeable. Joanne will easily top those stats considering it has only been 7 months. Sashay away.

You really don't know how charts/sales work.

Debithius
2 minutes ago, IAmDavid said:

You really don't know how charts/sales work.

Enlighten me sis, from which year did you pull those stats.

TheBatman

It wasn't a total flop but it wasn't a hit album either. No memorable hits or moments (don't say the Superbowl, that was amazing but not a Joanne moment imo, it had ONE Joanne song, and she was dressed as 09ga the whole time.) Didn't capture the public's fascination in the way some of her peers are able to with their album releases, didn't get radio support, didn't have a smash video or any controversies or anything to remember. 

Oriane

There are millions musicians trying to make it big and have a name in the industry. Joanne sold more than a million copies and was the 17e most sold album of 2016 if I recall. How is that a flop ?

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Fiona Apple
29 minutes ago, Debithius said:

Enlighten me sis, from which year did you pull those stats.

It's obvious that Joanne is not gonna sell more than 200k more. And Million Reasons is almost dead so I really don't see why you would think that it's gonna top Applause that has x2 more platinum certifications only in the US

MonsterPaws

Well it's definitely not a smash album and anyone who denies that is ****ing delusional.

But it is a successful album :saira:

And overall I'd still liken this era to ARTPOP in the sense that everything was underwhelming (with some ofc highlights like the SB). Except in ARTPOP Gaga was really going through a tough time while during Joanne it's kinda like she went "meh."

EDIT: The music is still amazing and that's all that matters to me, stuff like commercial success was something I really hoped would happen but never did. Oh well.

StrawberryBlond

No, it's not a flop by today's standards. That's the key term.

If this was say, 2009 or 2010, its performance would be considered a disaster. But album sales have spiralled downward dramatically every year since 2013. Ever since the introduction of streaming, getting a big hit on the charts doesn't count for as much as it used to. Nowadays, you can be a massive streaming artist and Vevo artist but not have big actual sales. Now it's possible for an album to have millions of streams but not actually have sold all that much. We're in a world now where selling 1 million copies worldwide of an album is considered a good performance. The concept of "albums are for the fans" has never been stronger than it is now. I don't know anybody who buys the music of anyone who isn't among their top 3 faves. In a climate like that, for Gaga to sell 1.3-1.4 million of Joanne worldwide in just 7 months is outstanding. There are younger, more relevant artists than her out right now who can only dream of selling that much. Gaga is the rare breed of singer now who can actually sell an album with or without successful singles.

Most artists whose lead single failed to hit top ten in the majority of the world like PI and MR did would be lucky to sell 500k worldwide, honestly. In fact, their record label would probably halt the album and re-work it or even shelf it altogether. And even if it did get released, it wouldn't get a tour. But Gaga got the album out no problem, she's sold over a million and is getting a tour, short as it may be. I must add that apparently, when chart types analysed the information, they found that if it hadn't been for streaming counting towards sales, MR would have gone to #1 in the US after the SB. It had the biggest sales that week, but because other songs were bigger streaming hits, it had to settle for #4. So, in old school terms, MR was a #1. Think about that for a minute. Remember that Katy Perry's lead single this era peaked at #4 in the US and her follow-up singles have failed to reach top 40 thus far. Gaga's second single went to #4. That tells you something. Also, this means that Gaga's had a more recent solo hit than Katy (her last one was Roar in 2013).

Lemonade was the bestselling album of 2016 and it sold 3 million worldwide. If that's the benchmark we're going on, Joanne has done amazingly well especially as, in most of the world, there has been no hits from it at all. I once heard a music industry bigwig say that someone who can sell over a million copies of an album despite said album not producing any hits, is a sign of someone who will have a long career in the industry.

Archived