Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

What Joanne was Missing

Princess Stache

Featured Posts

Princess Stache

Ever since Joanne came out, I liked the album, but knew something was missing and couldn't quite put my finger on it.  I watched AJay's reaction to Joanne, and then something she said immediately clicked.  The choruses are underwhelming.  I'm so used to having very hard-hitting Gaga hooks, and we just didn't get enough power in the choruses in Joanne.  The songs with the most hard-hitting choruses are probably, Diamond Heart, A-YO, and Perfect Illusion.  That's why they made PI the lead single, it had the most powerful and memorable hook, despite being kind of repetitive.  That's why DIC wasn't the third single, the "tap down those boots while I beat around" refrain is just kind of underwhelming.  If Gaga added more instrumental and vocals to that part the song would be much better imo.  The Cure came at a PERFECT time.  It switches off between powerful vocals and powerful instrumentals and works perfectly.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Irrelevant

The ballads also have some nice choruses too, but overall they were underwhelming :emma:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Lextyr97

I agree to an extent. I agree they aren't as hard hitting but it's intentional. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. To me, the songs as they are, are perfect. Except DIC actually. I wish it had more vocals in the chorus lol

djBuffoon

It didn't necessarily "lack" these things, because these were very deliberate choices on her part. "Diamond Heart", for instance, has a massive chorus which rivals her best, and there's no choral effect required, just one huge voice. On the flipside, "John Wayne"s chorus is basically a funky instrumental, and it still works.

YeehawKylie

This is not untrue, but Gaga typically utilizes an unconventional chorus. I wouldn't characterize this as something 'Joanne was missing', rather something 'Joanne did differently'. It's part of what makes the album so great. 

venusfly

Joanne as an era and album just felt passive for me :sweat: it came off imo like she wasnt too interested or passionate in what she made in comparison to other eras. The music isn't too bad but she didn't show too much drive towards it, maybe she felt it spoke for itself

k

𝕞𝕪 𝕓𝕚𝕘𝕘𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕖𝕟𝕖𝕞𝕪 𝕚𝕤 𝕞𝕖, 𝕡𝕠𝕡 𝕒 𝟡𝟙𝟙

PMKKARDASHiAN
10 minutes ago, KING said:

Joanne didn't lack anything except for Gaga's interest. default_ny133.gif

And the GPs :trollga:

Supersonic

I mean the only tracks where an actual chorus is missing is John Wayne and Dancin in Circles. All of the other tracks have Gaga's signature large than life chorus.

Fernster7

Thank god not every chorus is like Perfect Illusion's.:wtf:

Also, Million Reasons' chorus is also strong and it's perfect.

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

Supersonic
1 minute ago, PMKKARDASHiAN said:

And the GPs :trollga:

Joanne - #1 - Top 20 for 11 Weeks - 525,000 copies sold in the USA, 1,300,000 worldwide.

Sure Joanne.

giphy.gif

RonnieGagz

Well, Perfect Illusion is basically a chorus said 100 times :sharon:

Still one of the best songs on Joanne :lolly:

♡Gaga♡TØP♡Nightwish♡Lana♡Lorde♡Grimes♡

Archived