Radio Charts EXPOSED

Gaga Monster

Featured Posts

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yuuri
22 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

That explains why Love On The Brain charted so high, the same with Shape of You. :reductive:

Question solved. 

But LOTB is actually a good song.

sipthistea
5 minutes ago, Misaki said:

But LOTB is actually a good song.

I didn't say it wasn't.

Harry

To be fair, I highly doubt every hit song on the radio gets airplay thanks to this. But it's obviously very common.

Edonis
1 minute ago, Harry said:

To be fair, I highly doubt every hit song on the radio gets airplay thanks to this. But it's obviously very common.

I agree but it does explain some of the more, random, singles that do so well on the radio but are found nowhere on iTunes or streaming sites. I think it basically explains why you see mediocre/non-memorable songs given such high radio play 

Harry
1 minute ago, Edonis said:

I agree but it does explain some of the more, random, singles that do so well on the radio but are found nowhere on iTunes or streaming sites. I think it basically explains why you see mediocre/non-memorable songs given such high radio play 

Well absolutely. It's so obvious that it happens - and blatantly obvious in particular circumstances - but it's nice to hear someone in the industry actually acknowledge it so bluntly. In fact someone on this site tried to tell me literally two weeks ago that payola doesn't happen and it's just speculation :rip:

elijahfan

I mean, there really is no secret formula: if you want a song to chart high, people need to hear it, and obviously someone found a way of monetizing this. And the honest ones struggle.

Radio Ga Ga

That's why I feel like radio should be taken out of the hot 100 equation, and only the intentional streaming (not the streams gained from playlists listeners didn't make themselves) and sales should count

Edonis
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Well absolutely. It's so obvious that it happens - and blatantly obvious in particular circumstances - but it's nice to hear someone in the industry actually acknowledge it so bluntly. In fact someone on this site tried to tell me literally two weeks ago that payola doesn't happen and it's just speculation

Same :madge: A few weeks ago I was talking about payola in a thread and someone came at me saying it doesn't happen because it's illegal and that it's just dumb pop stans mad that their fav isn't charting high...I'm glad to see this discussed so openly :nails:

Edlim222
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

That's why I feel like radio should be taken out of the hot 100 equation, and only the intentional streaming (not the streams gained from playlists listeners didn't make themselves) and sales should count

It wouldn't help in my opinion. It would just transfer the problem elsewhere. For example, we would see a lot of ads on Facebook/internet/even in our mailbox to encourage us to go check the new song. Maybe it would be more honest that way, because it's actually a real ad, but eventually they would find another way to inflate the numbers.

Anyway, yes they are interested in good BB100 numbers, but they are interested in money and popularity too, so the radio payola would continue. People would still listen to radio and the more popular songs/artists would be the ones that are played more, exactly like it is now. If I listen to radio and hear a good song, I will be more likely to go stream it by myself later.

A cruel king made me tough / This boy's never good enough

Miel

Out of curiosity- what songs at the moment are likely results of this?

3 points in and ready for more

uo111
21 minutes ago, Miel said:

Out of curiosity- what songs at the moment are likely results of this?

Clearly the entire top ten.

They pay to be put on playlists and advertised on Spotify too.

I feel like TEOG and Applause are the most payola of Gaga's singles.

The Child
3 hours ago, ComeToMama said:

Why doesnt gaga just pay then? Shes loaded

CAUSE MUSIC NOT THE BLING!

giphy.gif

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

The Child
16 minutes ago, uo111 said:

Clearly the entire top ten.

They pay to be put on playlists and advertised on Spotify too.

I feel like TEOG and Applause are the most payola of Gaga's singles.

Explain why Applause had a such longevity.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Archived