Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Father John Misty says he has no interest working with "pop stars"

monketsharona

Featured Posts

Antichrist

His views on pop music are 100% right though.. Do ya'll really think everything is not planned out to the last bit & Gags & other pop stars have all these amazing ideas & whatnot by themselves? Stop kidding yourselves :toofunny:

Gaga proved & said everything there is to be said in the GUY video, hence she had 0 commercial success with it & ARTPOP is basically not mentioned anymore at all. I believe that's one of those rare moments where she actually did what she truly wanted to do, and got ****ed over completely, something so blatantly true & eye-opening could never be huge.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, holyscheisse said:

look at aura vs the demo. the story goes that the label made her change her vocals in order to sound more pop. look at sxsw when she said she was singing applause "becuse she had to". look at the GUY video where she literally tells the story of being a prisoner to the moneymaking machine until it shot her down. if you think she isnt, to an extent, a prisoner--the ARTPOP era says bye. now obviously she is not completely void of free will and choice and it seems that now more than ever she has more agency in work. like that viral video where she says she started to say no to things. but that doesnt mean that she wasnt in the past, it doesnt mean that she is free from all the politics of pop music. 

I'm sure she's not, and I don't really care that much, I'm really too old for that s**t. ;) I care about the end product, and I like that. Kudos to whoever called the shots on ARTPOP and Joanne (I'm sure Lady Gaga had at least something to do with it), because both albums are somewhat to the side of the mainstream, and somewhat different from what Lady Gaga has done before. They are also my two favorite albums of hers. Unfortunately we still live in this stupid singer/songwriter paradigm which we inherited from The Beatles, and this forces artists to be less than completely honest about their own creative control, even Lady Gaga. If you read interviews, she has been honest about Kevin Parker writing "Perfect Illusion" etc., but when she says in other interviews that she writes all of her music, not just that she co-writes, I think she avoids shining a spotlight on the fact that she doesn't do everything herself. After The Beatles, fans expect their idols to be in complete control, but those who know the business, know that's rarely the case in pop music (it was rarely the case in The Beatles' days). There's nothing wrong about having complete creative control as true singer/songwriters, but there's nothing wrong with sharing control with producers, either. There's not even anything wrong about not having creative control at all, and just being a performer, although I don't expect that's the case with Lady Gaga. I expect she's somewhere in between "full control" and "no control".

I still think it's unkind of Father John Misty to distance himself from the collaboration, like he (IMO) did in this interview. I think both he and Infected Mushroom come off as pretentious snobs.

Alien Tulip

The way he talks about Gaga and Beyonce like they are toys and have no feelings

d781fcdf841de8dfed459ecee4939f32.gif

Still like his music and I'm sure Gaga won't be offended by this comment. 

6 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

His views on pop music are 100% right though.. Do ya'll really think everything is not planned out to the last bit & Gags & other pop stars have all these amazing ideas & whatnot by themselves? Stop kidding yourselves :toofunny:

Actually, from what I have read about how Max Martin and others work, it's not really that different from how rock musicians like Keith Richards work. They try a lot of random stuff, until something sticks. There's no mathematical formula or anything like that.

River

I think he means that the "prisoners" asked help from him and it caused him to become a "prisoner" too and it limited his creativity and he didn't like it..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

JohnWayne23

I think there's two kinds of music:

Music that is made for art

and 

Music that is made for entertainment. 

I don't see anything wrong with either of them. 

And sometimes they blur. Like I think Beyonce likes to make music for art (lately), but at the same time she craves the public's gratification, so she has to play into the music for entertainment bit. 

MJHolland
6 hours ago, Kermit the frog said:

This is sad to hear, yet I have a hard time comprehending his incoherent babble.

Same 

He seems so pretentious and full of himself that his ramblings come off as incredibly uneducated and annoying. 

Shame. Thought he was cool,  it obviously he's up his own holier-than-thou as*

I get what he means. But... Can you get any more pretentious? Father... your life isn't perfect and indie music is not the best. Just because I like pop music that doesn't mean I'm anti-feminist or anything.

If you want to think you're so edgy and kool for listening to a certain kind of music then do it. But thats the more pretentious crap I've read in a long time. "Bougeois" "normies" :toofunny:

On the other hand, I do think that pop music nowadays is mainly about that money... but it's an industry and doesn't mean that it's less enjoyable or worse that your music. It's still art and like it or not it's memorable.

underneath the pine

drinkmytears
5 hours ago, monketsharona said:

Not sure of it I think MArk Ronson said that it was Interscope decision to bring FJM, Hillary Lindsey and BloodPop.

Interscope has an A&R that works for Gaga who'll help find writers, producers, etc and have them get in touch if interested. It doesn't mean they forced Gaga to work with anyone 

MEDONER

Ladies and gentlemen, Infected Mushrooms part 2. Go back to your irrelevance, you delusional asshole. AS IF a woman who used to write songs for herself since she was like 11 AND WAS FIRST HIRED AS A SONGWRITER FOR OTHER PEOPLE needs the help of some drunk ass random full of himself yet as known and as relevant as PCD solo careers to write a mediocre song for her album. If anything she did a charity act and you sure as hell know it. Either way honey, I have two words for you: FùCK YOURSELF.

hhh-suck-it_360.gif?w=650

thierryrreiht
6 hours ago, monketsharona said:

Mark my word most of the people she worked with on Joanne won't be back. 

That's what I feel is going to happen with Florence, ngl

CanadaGoesGaga

If you read what he said, he was stating that he would never seek out a pop star to work with, as he hates the pop industry... but they came to him so he worked with them. 

PopReaper

male indie artist makes snobbish remarks about pop music and female popstars?

tumblr_inline_n9e9xiVBYB1qgejfl.jpg

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

Sakrai
7 hours ago, Batwings said:

This... really disappoints me. I enjoyed his music long before he ever collaborated with Gaga, but this is some of the most bullsh*t pretentious psychobabble I've ever read. If he hates pop music so much, then maybe he shouldn't collaborate with pop artists. 

came to say exactly this

Oh, I'm just visiting-

Archived