💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is "Green Light" Not Doing to Well?

JohnWayne23

Green Light  

412 members have voted

1. 1. Why is Green Light not performing as well as many had expected?

• She waited too long to release new music
    • The song isn't good
    • People liked Lorde's old style, not pop Lorde
    • A mixture of a few factors
    • Give it time, it will grow

Featured Posts

Irrelevant
5 hours ago, Pity Party said:

I'm waiting for the true queen of music Melanie Martinez to release her new music ugh. 

chill man, Mad Hatter MV is not even out yet :sweat:

Also it's already confirmed that it would be out this fall/autumn :spin:

Spoiler

Unless it gets pushed back for almost a year like Cry Baby :duck:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
troybrooks
16 hours ago, PaperIz said:

That's just her voice.

I loathe that criticism. 

pff.. sure

MelbHawker

I think the hype and interest in her and what she was about when PH smashed is something people don't feel anymore. She waited too long - and let's face it.. the song is nothing special. 

20 hours ago, Bio said:

Dance music is not in, she waited too long, people don't care for ha.

I mean,GOOD dance music will always be in

Sepsami

It's just kind of bland really, there's nothing unique to it. Especially not when comparing to her previous songs.

OW7Q_f-maxage-0.gif

TheBatman

The new songs are not good...her voice sounds really bad imo, on SNL it was like every sound she made was a total struggle, it was painful to watch and hear. I loved her wild dancing, but...I just don't like the song and I can't stand the way she moves her mouth when she sings lol Royals was a bop tho

LilVenusian

She has no chemistry with Jack Antonoff, his production style is way to loud and "stadiumesque" and shes a minimalist at heart. Royals was also such a distinct, trend setting kind of song back when it was released and now she doing that same 80's tinged dance pop thing that every pop star tries :oprah:Leave that too Carly Slae Jepsen hennies:madge:

Ronk
15 hours ago, youandi said:

I mean, was she massive in the first place, I think you could only say Royals was a hit here in the UK. She's obviously big amongst music fans but I guess typical music buyers mostly know her for royals. 

I really like her new music and I suspect she doesn't care as long as she's getting the chance to make the music she wants. 

This sounds a lot like another artist we know.  And good for her.

I live outside the space time continuum.

youandi
3 hours ago, Ronk said:

This sounds a lot like another artist we know.  And good for her.

Definitely good for her. It's so good when you can see that artists are clearly loving what they do 

StrawberryBlond

Definitely a mixture of factors...

1. She waited too long. The public's attention span is ridiculous right now. After all, this is the same public who genuinely didn't know that ARTPOP was a thing, even though it was little over 2 years since Gaga's very successful, widely promoted BTW album. What hope did Lorde have 3.5 years after only one smash hit?

2. The song is dance-orientated but doesn't feature a DJ. If it did, it would be a very different story. Simply slap a DJ's name on a song, even if they're not that well-known, and you can get a hit right now. Florence wasn't getting hits on her second album until she released Spectrum as a Calvin Harris remix - boom, instant UK #1, even though the song was barely changed. It's so superficial but this is unfortunately how the public is.

3. This kind of dance music isn't in right now. Currently, it's all about tropical and trap beats. This sound is too 90's sounding, very British electro. Not what the public's feeling. Being dance isn't enough, you have to make the right brand of it.

4. Her fans might be a bit taken aback by this change in direction. There was some uncertainty and disapproval when it was announced that her new music was going to be "very dance." For fans who loved Lorde's old style of stripped back minimalism and shunning of current sounds, it comes across a bit sell-out.

5. Her debut music got success based more on luck anyway. Let's face it, does the public really want to hear a girl with a polarising voice sing about the excesses of society to a stripped-down beat? Royals was a hit because it was different, that's why most one hit wonders stay that way - their style is welcome for one single but too weird to listen to a full album consisting of that style. It's best to start out safe and go experimental later. Doing it on the first single just doesn't work in the long run. Lorde was the exception when she debuted, not the rule.

6. She wasn't all that successful to begin with. People base their perception of her fame far too much on her US reception. Outside the US, Canada, Australia and NZ, she really didn't sell much at all - look it up. It's only in these 4 countries that people actually paid attention to her past Royals and actually bought her album. The album sold 3 million worldwide - about 2 million or so of those copies came from those 4 countries. Team got somewhere in America but the rest of the world didn't care. Most people only know her for Royals, if they still remember her at all. Her fans seem weirdly delusional about her capabilities. At the end of the day, she was a one hit wonder. What did they expect?

23 hours ago, troybrooks said:

oh PLEASE

I'm curious - name me a female artist who is succeeding right now despite not using urban music or teaming up with DJ's? Apart from Taylor (who's on a break right now anyway, and hasn't released a successful solo single since 2015, so she doesn't really count) and Adele, I can't think of anyone.

Furrrealzjuan

Never was a fan period. I even saw her sing it on SNL and it didn't do much for me.....

I lied, the intro to it was really good! The first minute or so "Those great whites, they have big teeth
Oh, they bite you
Thought you said that you would always be in love
But you're not in love no more
Did it frighten you
How we kissed when we danced on the light up floor?
On the light up floor"

and then I lost interest 

PaperIz
11 hours ago, troybrooks said:

pff.. sure

:awkney: you people will use anything to discredit anyone. It's a dumb criticism that makes 0 sense. 

Archived