💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

article: Born This Way, a look back at Gaga’s misunderstood masterpiece

VforVendetta

Featured Posts

VforVendetta

This is 8 months old but I just found it and it's an engaging read!

A look back at Lady Gaga’s misunderstood masterpiece

It’s been five+ years since the release of Born This Way, an album that marked the point in Gaga’s career that she stopped studying her fame and used it to further her own message.

lady-gaga-born-this-way-album-cover-delu1173940.jpg

"Five years ago, Lady Gaga released her second album Born This Way, one of the highest-selling albums in musical history. The album’s success shouldn’t be surprising considering that, at that point, Gaga was in the middle of an imperial reign over pop music: her debut The Fame (filled with self-described ‘soulless electronic pop’) had sold over 10,000,000 copies worldwide, the single “Bad Romance” was at the time the most watched music video in YouTube history, and a blockbuster collaboration with Beyoncé had cemented her star credentials. So, when Gaga tweeted the announcement of her new album on New Year’s Day 2011 alongside a monochrome teaser image lensed by Nick Knight, it seemed that nothing could go wrong. Instead, Born This Way is today remembered by critics to be a misstep in Gaga’s career, and the start of a downward descent that she’s still yet to fully recover from. Yet listening back half a decade later, it’s clear that the album is Lady Gaga’s most ambitious musical project to date, as well as a poignant reminder of the media’s power to create and subsequently break down an artist’s reputation."

"What’s fascinating is that Born This Way has aged remarkably well. The songs still sound as fresh as they did when it came out, and despite the lack of any obvious pop juggernauts, the album still stands as the best in her back catalogue. Looking back, it seems bizarre to see the myriad positive reviews as the album campaign was overshadowed by its controversy; her tour injury is largely credited as the moment that things began to go awry, making the 2014 press backlash inextricably linked to her persona around Born This Way."

"Finally, her career trajectory shows that the mainstream media is still largely baffled by high-profile women outside the ‘pretty pop girl’ box; with her ‘ugly’ facial prosthetics Gaga was branded weird, over-ambitious, and ‘too gay’ for the mainstream. It may well be the case that she’ll never reach the heights of “Bad Romance” again, but it may also be the case that she doesn’t particularly care."

Full article here: http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/31300/1/a-look-back-at-lady-gaga-s-misunderstood-masterpiece

DeanWinchester

I remember discussing this before here but yes I agree. BTW deserved acclaim. It was just unfortunate she had to compete with Adele. Also if this is the same article I remember, some parts are a bit reaching with individual songs "inspiring" current hits

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

VforVendetta
1 minute ago, A Gaga Lad said:

I remember discussing this before here but yes I agree. BTW deserved acclaim. It was just unfortunate she had to compete with Adele. Also if this is the same article I remember, some parts are a bit reaching with individual songs "inspiring" current hits

Here is another amazing one I found.

http://www.idolator.com/7633796/lady-gaga-born-this-way-review-essay-anniversary

gagzus

i personally would like to write a LONG review of the whole album one day on here if anyone would care to read it picking it apart and justifying why i think it was the last truly above and beyond pop record

MJHolland

Really good and insightful. What a stellar album.

However I don't think it's her most ambitious. The message of Born This Way is one that is pretty familiar and perhaps borderline clique? The message of self acceptance and love is definitely and archetype in pop music since the beginning to say the least (e.g. Express Yourself even)

I truly think ARTPOP was her most ambitious just based on how conceptual it was and how high her hopes and dreams were for that album. I could read essay after essay about ARTPOP, i find it so fascinating.

BTW is kinda flat for me, definitely less conceptual and more straightforward imo (which doesn't make it worse, just different).

EdgeofTeeth

I didn't agree with her at the time when she claimed Born This Way was the "Album of the Decade," but it's almost six years later and she was right. I couldn't appreciate this album for what it was when it came out because I was too caught up in expecting TFM 2.0, but this album is truly a masterpiece and I will be shocked if she ever comes close to it again.

VforVendetta

All of Gaga's records have a special place in Pop culture, especially in 21 century imo but BTW is just the boldest Pop music has been in years in general.

I do believe that one day the world will recognise the size of that album. 

Smother Em Eh

It was definitely an interesting album and original! Born this Way had a unique sound which still today doesn't sound like anything on the radio! Even though I thought she should've done better, I still believe it's an underrated album! 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

XMonsterMonster

This was the REAL Gaga I'll never forget. Best music era we ever had. 

LG-Gif-lady-gaga-22290262-500-280.gif

For me it is the Album of the Decade

Queen Gloria

Just came here to say that BTW truly was an amazing album era. Love it, love it, love it. So many people nitpicked it at the time and talked about how bad it was, but I can look back and say that damn, she really did a great job with that one. I think that was the height of Gaga madness for me, when I really felt like a crazy, obsessed stan. I still get excited whenever she does something, but not like back then. 

Archived