Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Why are you guys saying that Gaga is not a legend?

TSUNAMI

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Sunny said:

Not yet, it's too early. But tho,  she managed to do things in 3 years, which for some people took 10. Also stop saying she isn't a legend because she doesn't sell well / her videos don't have 200M views. Cher is a legend (don't disagree) and her last album didn't sell that much and she doesn't even have 10M views for Woman's World.

Comparing an artist from the 80's/90's to late 2000's early 2010's YouTube channel isn't exactly an apple for an apple either. 

See Chapter: Katy Perry.

I think everyone could agree she separated herself from such a pack 5 years ago; times have changed. There's a difference between <10 years and a few decades.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SlaeUrAnus
44 minutes ago, Dominic Marc said:

She's not been around long enough. Legend isn't about how many awards or YouTube views you have it is about your global and cultural impact which Gaga has but it just now needs to stand the test of time. 

If anyone is close to becoming a legend it'd be Beyonce. 

I agree.

Gaga and Beyonce are in similar positions with them both selling albums, but not doing well chart/streaming wise, but Beyonce is still garnering massive amounts of nominations because the committees know it's Beyonce.

In this phase, Beyoncé can still sell out a stadium tour because she is a legend with a long and established career spanning of 2 decades. Gaga on the other hand wouldn't sell a stadium of a capacity of 25,000 at the moment.

In my messy era.

Tellerphone
27 minutes ago, MechaRaja said:

Not the same cultural impact? Are we on the same planet?? Madonna would not be who she is without Cher. 

That's right. While I enjoy Cher and respect Cher her impact is a fraction of what Madonna has done. Not trying to be a smart-alec but do your research. Whether you like Madonna or Not, what she has achieved is unparalleled. 

Even Cher has said "Nobody does it better than Madonna."

HEARTSTOP

Seems nowadays everyone praises Gaga except for her fans...is it like the new cool thing? People know who Gaga is, unless you're talking to someone currently in middle school. They might not know she has Million Reasons out, but they know who she is and they definitely know her biggest hits.

The "fans" developped this double standard for Gaga, where even if she's one of the best of the year, she still isn't enough. It's actually very sad. 

Sure, she doesn't have the Youtube views she had before. Or she doesn't sell the same numbers as she did before. I hate to do these comparisons, but tell me about Madonna's Youtube views, or sales compared to before...it's the same thing, except no one would question Madonna's legendary status. Ok, Madonna has been around for long, but who says Gaga won't be too? And don't even come up with Madonna's sale numbers from the 80's because there was NO OTHER WAY to listen to the music besides buying it or waiting a whole day for it to come up on the radio. Nowadays you just look for a leak and download everything illegally before it's even available for sale.

About the topic, I don't know what people consider as "being a legend", but Gaga did change the whole pop music dynamic back in 2008, and we still see the results today. When you can influence and inspire a whole new generation of artists, and change the sound/style of your own contemporaries, I'd say that's pretty legendary. She was inspired by "The Greats" in the past and turned into a Great one herself, inspiring others.

Just look up artists before and after Gaga (Katy Perry, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé, The Black Eyed Peas, heck even Madonna). Their sound changed, their looks changed, their performance art changed. Almost none of the songs you hear today on the radio would be there if it wasn't for Gaga introducing EDM to the mainstream pop. All these high-fashion, elaborated artistic performances you live for weren't a thing in the mainstream pop music in the recent years before her. All we had was Gwen Stefani with some Marilyn Monroe/Madonna-esque looks and songs inspired by old musical films, but with a completely different sound and background. But if you want to talk about sales, we should wait at least 20 more years before having meltdowns on how she's over.

*rant over*

IDGAF

flopheart

because she's not already, she has to achieve a lot more for being a real legend and not a temporary trend which was in 2009/10

DeanWinchester
1 hour ago, Albertodift said:

Not yet. No one has become a legend in 8 years. Icon? Yes.

1 hour ago, Darren92 said:

It's hard to be a legend when you're forgotten by 85% of the GP in the first 10 years of your career. Hopefully the SB changes that. One can only hope.

These two with a little bit of 

1 hour ago, Albertodift said:

Seems that Gaga forgot that herself.

Gaga needs to prove longevity. She's definitely an icon and she has somewhat started becoming a household name but she needs to keep it up.

We are at the age of streaming and she is lagging behind her contemporaries. And dont give me that sales dont make a legend crap. Of course they dont solely but they are a major metric when it comes to influence/popularity.

Gaga can achieve legend status by outperforming consistently, pop or otherwise. If she's doing Joanne numbers (which aren't bad but not spectacular either), it passes under the radar of the GP. And now that the Grammys are also influenced by sales, then there goes her acclaim as well--which is another important metric for becoming a legend.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Katsuki Bakugo
2 hours ago, Tellerphone said:

That's right. While I enjoy Cher and respect Cher her impact is a fraction of what Madonna has done. Not trying to be a smart-alec but do your research. Whether you like Madonna or Not, what she has achieved is unparalleled. 

Even Cher has said "Nobody does it better than Madonna."

Wasn't saying she didn't. But Cher did alot of what Madonna did before her. Janet did it all before and better but was not recognised because she is black.

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Tellerphone
2 minutes ago, MechaRaja said:

Wasn't saying she didn't. But Cher did alot of what Madonna did before her. Janet did it all before and better but was not recognised because she is black.

Madonna came from nothing and made it on her own. She didn't have a svengali or a famous last name to get her through the door. She made it with hard work and sheer determination. 

The only thing Cher and Madonna have in common is their outspokenness and their refusal to age in a conventional way. I suppose you could throw in dating younger men. 

And I also like Janet too. But truth is Janet not only rode Michaels coattails but she also rode Madonna's too. 

4 hours ago, Parach said:

I think she is. She happened to be at the right place at the right time but she marked start of entirely new era in not just pop music but mainstream show business. This woman made EVERYONE to step up their game! Don't you guys forget that.

She had the hugest debut since Britney Legend Spears.

She used internet and social media as a huge marketing platform and in that way opened a door to marketers, people in show business, artists (etc.).

She made world gone Gaga. All eyes were on her for 3 albums straight. I'm not sure if you know what that means.

Maybe her singles aren't #1 on radio or don't sell lke Closer or Bad Romance like back in the day but you cannot say she isn't a legend.

Because some of your legends are lipsinging their sets.

/rant

Reveal hidden contents

POP MUSIC WILL NEVER BE LOW BROW. Don't you forget that.

Do u seriously think Tony Bennett would still be relevant if he was really huge only from 1955-1958, and all his songs were flopped after that?

OR

Michael Jackson, do you think people would care about this if his hits were only popular from 1979-1982?

If these legends couldn't achieved this, do you think Gaga could?

Gaga's 2009-2011 is just too damn short.:toofunny:

Roomingfree77
23 hours ago, MechaRaja said:

Not the same cultural impact? Are we on the same planet?? Madonna would not be who she is without Cher. 

*pulls up a chair now... :giggle:

Katsuki Bakugo
17 minutes ago, Roomingfree77 said:

*pulls up a chair now...

Just saying. Cher went in.

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Letmelivemylife
7 minutes ago, MechaRaja said:

Just saying. Cher went in.

I just wanted to inform you I have a profile pic now lol

I love you monsters. I'd be unfixably broken without you

Katsuki Bakugo
36 minutes ago, Letmelivemylife said:

I just wanted to inform you I have a profile pic now lol

Thank you. 

Tellerphone

Yep Cher sure did say that and I'm sure Madonna was nasty at times. She's no saint. Cher has praised her on many occassions since. That video was 26 YEARS ago. The Stan war thing is so old. But carry on if ya must. 

Archived