question

The infamous Meat Dress?

Panchecco

Featured Posts

Panchecco

I'm sorry to bring this up now but I've been thinking about this for months (if not years) and I need to hear your honest opinion about it.

We all remember this iconic moment happening almost 7 years ago during the VMA but,  now that we've all grown up and we saw Gaga evolve into the 30-year-old woman she is today, has your opinion about the meat dress changed? In my opinion the meat dress is and will always be one of the bravest/memorable thing Gaga has ever made for the LGBT community BUT I've recently came to the conclusion that it was also the most offensive/disrespectful thing Gaga has ever done...

First of all it was the bravest thing because she used her huge popularity to address a very important issue that had been scarring the gay community for years which was the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. Walking the red carpet with four military service members affected by DADT was already a big and inspiring move by itself but when she actually showed up on that stage wearing actual cow meat .... that was another level.

181953-lady-gaga-lettuce-dress.jpg

"If we don’t stand up for what we believe in and if we don’t fight for our rights pretty soon, we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our own bones. I AM NOT A PIECE OF MEAT" was the sentence she used on Ellen to describe the meaning behind the dress and I remember thinking that it was the most amazing thing in the world that a popstar was willing to put bloody meat on her body to open up a conversation about the human and civil rights in America... a conversation many people at the time would have rather not have.

Despite this, the meat dress was (and still is) very controversial because it's definitely offensive to use an animal as a piece of clothing wether it's a fur coat or meat purse and I'm realizing just now how bad that made Gaga look. To clarify I'm not vegetarian or even vegan but I am fully aware of the atrocity and the cruelty of the meat industry and I think that we as reasonable human beings should come up with a way to stop this problem and try to let animals live the lives they deserve. (I'm not against the consumption of meat but against the fact that animals are treated like objects and are tortured in every possible way)

Spoiler

althought I'm still having a internal debate with myself about this topic. I'm still not totally sure if I'm against eating meat or not...:saladga:

On another note... Gaga clearly seems to be over that phase of her life (she also recently faked to not remember that the she wore the meat dress in 2010 :oprah:) do you think that 2017's Gaga would still do/approve something like that? Even if it is to make people talk about human rights?

Spoiler

please don't treat me or this post as joke... I tried to be as honest as I could and I would like this topic to be discussed with respect of other people's opinions (?)

and yes I'm sorry to bring this topic back in 2017... my bad :lana:

Robagaga

I think the meat dress can have many meanings. Like, people aren't shocked when we see fur on clothes, but with meat they are, but in the end its the basically the same. 

I think gaga would still approve of it, even though she probably wouldn't do something similar right now, as she has grown and is at a different point in her life. 

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Mary Jane Wayne

My opinion on it still hasn't changed. It was iconic, it is iconic, it will forever be iconic. I don't think Gaga of today would wear something like that, though. 

Mary Jane Wayne
2 minutes ago, Robagaga said:

I think the meat dress can have many meanings. Like, people aren't shocked when we see fur on clothes, but with meat they are, but in the end its the basically the same. 

I think gaga would still approve of it, even though she probably wouldn't do something similar right now, as she has grown and is at a different point in her life. 

Exactly. How is it any different from fur? 

Earthling

I think it was a really iconic statement and the usage of meat was necessary for her to bring awareness to DADT.

Also from the animal rights perspective (I'm vegan) I don't find it any more offensive or disrespectful than an outfit made from leather. 

*she switched baristas. ☕️

Modern Ecstacy

I personally love the meat dress so much. It's just such a bold and iconic move plus it looks absolutely f**king amazing. 

But her explanation of it as "If we don’t stand up for what we believe in and if we don’t fight for our rights pretty soon, we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our own bones. I AM NOT A PIECE OF MEAT" is straight up bullsh**t and we all know it.

Panchecco
4 minutes ago, Modern Ecstacy said:

But her explanation of it is straight up bullsh**t and we all know it.

explain sis :reductive:

Doncho

I really love it but I understand if some people hate it. Her message was a bit confusing tbh :sweat: I would love to see her wearing something as unexpected as the mear dress again!

John Slayne

I understand how some may view it as offensive, however, she used it to make an important social justice statement and as others pointed out, how is it different from wearing a fur coat? It got both points across so I'm fine with it and I believe it was justified. And it was iconique and memorable as a bonus. :whitney:

Slae. :staymad:

Modern Ecstacy
1 minute ago, Panchecco said:

explain sis :reductive:

It just sounds dumb and cheesy and to be honest, hardly makes any sense

Panchecco
7 minutes ago, Modern Ecstacy said:

It just sounds dumb and cheesy and to be honest, hardly makes any sense

so you think she just woke up one day and decided to wear meat at the VMAs and have all eyes on her (in a bad way - since everyone hated/criticized that dress) for literally months (if not years)? I think her reasoning was great to be honest...

15jocart

I think that the whole "I'm not a piece of meat" thing seems like a sexual violence awareness thing more so than something for DADT, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

Archived