I thought Perfect Illusion was perfect lead single material :awkney:

The promo was just messy, though :awkney:

There were better choices on Joanne. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GGDisbetter
1 minute ago, KleinKnight said:

It's really bad that they would put such a creative artist like M.I.A in limbo.

IKR, like I was waiting an eternity for new music and her last album is her worst sadly.

Thanks Interscope..... MATAHDATAH would've slayed...

Reality
1 minute ago, AntiPotCrusader said:

There were better choices on Joanne. 

For the lead? I don't know. I mean, there are certainly great single choices, but I don't know about lead single material.

PI was fun, it was just full of energy and, in Gaga's words, really gave someone an adrenaline rush every time they hear it. 

Songs like DIC, A-YO, Diamond Heart, and John Wayne are all great single choices—A-YO and DH probably being the only other great lead single choices imo. I just wished that PI's promotion was handled differently. If it had, it could have been a great hit. 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

JustAnotherDay

It's awful, but Interscope is actually one of the better labels when it comes to creative control. Fortunately for Gaga, she is a bigger established artist who has proven she can sell, so they give her more room for creative control. But for smaller artists like these sometimes they mess with the process 

was NickARTPOP

CookieHWilson
10 minutes ago, JoanneActII said:

M.I.A. is also under interscope and Both 'Matangi' (which is amazing) and 'A.I.M.' were both delayed HEAPS and she threatened to leak them to get them out. Matangi was going to be released December 2012 - it was released November 2013. As for A.I.M. it was originally going to be released as "MATAHDATAH" a visual album with videos from all around the world. It was then changed to 'A.I.M.' and had 20 songs. Delayed and shortened to 12/17 tracks (standard/deluxe) for July, was finally released september. She ultimately gave up and considers it her last album.

matangi was rejected because it was too happy:

read from:here

or: excerpt down here

Update (8/9, 12:10 p.m. ET): Following M.I.A.’s tweets, Pitchfork reports Matangi will be released on November 5 via Interscope.

Don’t mess with M.I.A. The singer/rapper is frustrated with the delay in releasing her album and took to Twitter yesterday (August 8) to air her grievances with her U.S. label.

The problem seems to be that M.I.A. has made a record that her label feels is too happy.

“They’re like, ‘You need to darken it up a bit,'” M.I.A. told Australian outlet Gold Coast. “It’s like, ‘We just built you up as the public enemy No. 1, and now you’re coming out with all this positive stuff.'”

Matangi is M.I.A.’s followup to her third studio album, 2010’s Maya. Originally scheduled to drop later this year, the album may come as soon as next week if M.I.A. makes good on her threats.

Last month, Roc Nation (via Interscope) pulled down a trailer for M.I.A.’s forthcoming documentary, which was intended to accompany Matangi‘s release. This, coupled with constant delays from the label, caused the film’s director, Steve Loveridge, to quit the project. (And that, too, involved social media beefing.)

This isn’t the first time M.I.A. has taken to Twitter to share her feelings. During her messy custody battle earlier this year, the Sri Lankan singer/rapper posted a series of tweets calling out her former fiancé Ben Bronfman over the possibility of Bronfman and his family getting custody of their son.

Insta: pierfedericomiozzo

adamsenigma

Wasn't Joanne her last album.with Interscope? I think she should get the **** outta that messy **** and found her own label.

Ricardo
19 minutes ago, Bio said:

Well, money is on the line. You can't expect them to give money to someone who won't bring them profit.

Exactly, people seem to forget the music business is a business at the end of the day, if it doesn't make money it doesn't work for them, that's the main reason why there are indie artists so they can have the full creative control of their work, we should be "grateful" Gaga has more control than the average pop star 

S6AVQF5.gif

Impostor
1 minute ago, Ricardo said:

Exactly, people seem to forget the music business is a business at the end of the day, if it doesn't make money it doesn't work for them, that's the main reason why there are indie artists so they can have the full creative control of their work, we should be "grateful" Gaga has more control than the average pop star 

S6AVQF5.gif

Should we also also feel grateful for the ARTPOP mess and the single changes, though? I know what you're trying to point out, and I get it. But it doesn't feel right. They give her the budget but they corrupt the course of the eras.

Ooolong

I love reading the part about Lana. It's been on here a few times and it makes me happy every time. It's kind of a big, "in your face" moment. 

The Unbannable Chanteuse

32 minutes ago, AntiPotCrusader said:

Interscope: Soda and Perfect Illusion are lead single material. 

Everyone: :awkney:

Hey, i love Soda :lolga:

48 minutes ago, KleinKnight said:

So apparently everyone have already noticed how messy labels can be, especially when they push the artist too much and try to put them in a box. Have you ever thought that Gaga's singles changes were probably Interscope's fault, and not Gaga's fault at all? People usually blame everything on Gaga and her team but I don't think that's how it works.

So I was reading the Wikipedia's page about Broke With Expensive Taste and I read that:

"In 2011, it was reported that Banks was working on a studio album with British producer Paul Epworth despite not having signed to a particular record label at that time. In January 2012, Banks signed a record deal with Interscope and Polydor Records to work on her album, and a month later, she announced the title of the album—Broke with Expensive Taste. Approximately a year later, she handed a complete album in to the labels. Banks initially thought that the album would receive favorable reception from the labels; however, the representatives told Banks that she had not recorded a "hit" single for the album. She consequently recorded a song called "Chasing Time" for the project, yet the label denied the track and forced Banks to choose "Soda" as the lead single, which made Banks become incredulous. Ultimately, Banks ended the record deal with Interscope/Polydor in July 2014. She later approached Jeff Kwatinetz and signed a contract with his company, Prospect Park. She reveals her dissatisfaction to Rolling Stone,

I just spent a whole 'nother ****in' four months in the studio trying to come up with some ****, and you want to go with ****in' 'Soda'? I really just lost it. That was the day you saw me on Twitter, like, 'The ****? I'm tired of talking to these white guys about my ****.' It felt like they were playing some sort of head game. And you know I love conspiracy theories. I was like, 'They're trying to brainwash me! **** these guys!'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broke_with_Expensive_Taste

So it seems like the Interscope people don't really care about the artist's opinion. They just want a hit and they will change the entire course of the album to make a hit. Am I wrong?

We can also analyse how Interscope dealt with Ultraviolence:

"Lana Del Rey's new album, Ultraviolence, qualifies as a radical statement from a pop star in 2014 – it's mostly produced by Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach, who relies on electric guitar and other live instruments, and none of its eleven tracks sound much like a potential radio hit. And as Auerbach reveals in Rolling Stone's new Del Rey cover story, her major labels (Interscope and the U.K.'s Polydor) were initially resistant to the idea of releasing it.

"There was a lot of bullshit I'm not used to," Auerbach tells senior writer Brian Hiatt. "The label says, 'We're not going to give you the budget to extend this session unless we hear something.' And we send them the rough mix and they ****ing hate it and they hate the way it's mixed. And it's like, 'Thanks, asshole.'… I think Lana put her foot down. Maybe it's normal for her, but it's not normal for me.  Really rubbed me the wrong way.  I got really defensive because I thought it was bullshit.

"The story I got told," he continues, "is that they played it for her label person and they said, "We're not putting out this record that you and Dan made unless you meet with the Adele producer. And she said, 'Fine, whatever.' And she was late to the meeting, so while they were waiting, the label guy played what we recorded for the Adele producer and he said, 'This is amazing, I wouldn't do anything to change this.' And here's the kicker: Then all of a sudden, the label guy said, 'Well, yeah, I think it's great, too.'"

Del Rey acknowledges a six-week period this past spring when Ultraviolence was in limbo. "I mean, I think there were people they wanted me to work with," she says. "I don't know who they were. When I said I was ready, they were like, 'Are you sure?'" She laughs. "'Because I feel like you could go further.'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-lana-del-rey-fought-to-get-her-radical-ultraviolence-lp-released-20140718

So I just think it's a game they want the artist to play. The ones who don't agree will end up like Azealia. The ones who agree to change are forced to do a lot of things that will actually go against their own style (sounds familiar?).

The Azealia one always f*ks me up like how tf did they not take Chasing Time for granted and choose Soda over Chasing Time?! 

Future Lover

I thought it was common knowledge that Interscope has control over the singles? I'm pretty sure if it were up to Gaga there'd be no singles and she'd just sing whatever song from the current album that she wanted.

Everyone likes to blame Interscope for Gaga "flopping," but we need to keep in mind nobody knows what will do well. For all we know Gaga's choices could have done worse than Interscope's. Interscope only chooses what they think will make them money. What it really comes down to is promotion, which Gaga and her team have control over.

Impostor
6 minutes ago, Future Lover said:

Everyone likes to blame Interscope for Gaga "flopping," but we need to keep in mind nobody knows what will do well. For all we know Gaga's choices could have done worse than Interscope's. Interscope only chooses what they think will make them money. What it really comes down to is promotion, which Gaga and her team have control over.

They didn't give her money to promote the rest of ARTPOP, though. That album was over not only because of Gaga's conflicts with her manager but also because Interscope stopped believing in her. To me it looks like Joanne was created to go against all of the ARTPOP aesthetics.

Pacify Him

So it was them after all :diane: That's why Gaga isn't weird for LG5, they already are :whitney:

I’m getting on your nerves

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived