Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
news

Gaga: I want this to be about my life and not just visuals @MillionReasons

Noah X

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, M Monstre said:

I'm not saying that this genre of music warrants simple (and to some people, lazy) visuals. What I'm saying is that Gaga herself said that for this particular album, she wanted to really focus on promoting the music itself, not necessarily the outfits and stuff around it. I get what you're trying to say with "compelling and fresh visuals", but to a lot of people, that seems to equate to some more of that "hyper-queer avant-garde imagery".

Nowhere did I say that just because this style of music isn't the traditional pop we are used to hearing, we are entitled to simple visuals. 

So, in order to elevate the music she is releasing music videos that fall far below her previous established standard? I don't buy that.

She used to produce quality music and quality visuals. Her new music isn't so great that it warrants her neglecting the visuals.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, SKANK said:

Total nonsense. An over acted, poorly directed, fake behind the scenes music video is no more "about your life" than an over elaborate music videos in which you overdose (Mary The Night), or in which you are killed and your money stolen is by businessmen (GUY), or in which you are limping through a tunnel of light with a prosthetic leg (Applause.)

Creating compelling visuals and creating personal visuals to accompany her music aren't two different things. She should be doing both.

One of the very few posts I've read here since the video was released/the overdramatic meltdowns began which is actually constructive criticism and not just "ugh this is garbage bye". Thank you! :sara:

Glittertinks
19 minutes ago, Zilla said:

There has to be something underneath the surface she's not telling us. She seems very lost and confused like where is she really going with this?

Me and my mother have talked about the MR video and her whole appearance this era and we also noticed that something might be off. But we can't force her to tell us that unfortunately (if that feeling might be true at all) :ohno:

Versace
49 minutes ago, A Gaga Lad said:

I still think her other videos have much more deeper, layered meanings :lolly:

I do too but I feel that doesn't undermine what she is doing now :lolly:

Rebel Heart

I feel like she means she doesn't want to create super artistic visuals. I feel like she basically wants to have simple basic music videos like MR this era (I loved the PI vid though. I thought it was dope af). Which is disappointing but if that's what she wants to do then good for her. I just won't get hyped for the videos this era.

Hey Girl is the best song of Gaga's career #Justice4HeyGirl

Just now, Glittertinks said:

Me and my mother have talked about the MR video and her whole appearance this era and we also noticed that something might be off. But we can't force her to tell us that unfortunately (if that feeling might be true at all) :ohno:

:ohno: how ominous 

Reality
6 minutes ago, SKANK said:

So, in order to elevate the music she is releasing music videos that fall far below her previous established standard? I don't buy that.

She used to produce quality music and quality visuals. Her new music isn't so great that it warrants her neglecting the visuals.

First, can I just thank you for actually having constructive criticism about the video? It's really much appreciated. We've been having meltdowns left and right, and by you giving me points for your argument and not just screaming, it shows that you really do care about the way she presents herself, instead of just bashing her for completely doing something out the ordinary.

The production value itself has gone down for this particular video, I'm not going to contest that. It's not some big production like Marry the Night or anything, and I can respect that you don't necessarily find the visuals engaging—now, while I don't think they're terrible, I don't necessarily find them interesting, either, however, I can respect what she's done.

That said, I think that this video is just, different. I don't think it's her slacking off or giving us work "far below" her previous ones, but instead, just given us a simple and straight-forward video, with a pretty straight-forward message. 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

holy scheisse

this narrative has been pervasive in her work for like the entirety of her career since born this way era. the fallen victim getting back up again narrative, i mean more specifically.

it was present in:

-marry the night, all about failing only to get back up

-applause video in a way, carrying the leg to symbolize getting over her hip injury

-the ARTPOP film, most obviously..

-swine performances. portrayals of being abused but getting back up

- til it happens to you, obvious

-million reasons video, where something has gone wrong again but still she rises.:v:

either way... gaga is a mess! half of her career has been her sorting out her emotional baggage. its actually crazy i havent realized how significant the whole wronged victim getting back up again narrative is in her work. either way, million reasons video is just meh. its nice its cute. its not powerful to any sort of degree like all the previous times shes gone off about somethng like this.

9 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

First, can I just thank you for actually having constructive criticism about the video? It's really much appreciated. We've been having meltdowns left and right, and by you giving me points for your argument and not just screaming, it shows that you really do care about the way she presents herself, instead of just bashing her for completely doing something out the ordinary.

The production value itself has gone down for this particular video, I'm not going to contest that. It's not some big production like Marry the Night or anything, and I can respect that you don't necessarily find the visuals engaging—now, while I don't think they're terrible, I don't necessarily find them interesting, either, however, I can respect what she's done.

That said, I think that this video is just, different. I don't think it's her slacking off or giving us work "far below" her previous ones, but instead, just given us a simple and straight-forward video, with a pretty straight-forward message. 

There is a distinction between minimalist "straight to the point" visuals and poor quality visuals. Million Reasons is the latter.

I would never in a million years say she is slacking-off, or actually lazy. She has an incredible work ethic, and I don't doubt for a second that she is working as hard on this album as she has worked on every other album she has released.

I don't think the sub-par visuals (album cover, PI video, MR video, ect.) are the result of physical laziness, just creative laziness, a lack of ambition, and perhaps a bad team around her.

29 minutes ago, SEXODUS said:

Much deeper look at who I am? :saladga:

How is it having a party with a bunch of fans in the desert and getting a gift from your sister, playing a guitar dressed in pink something deeper and more personal than accepting your body, your crazier sides, your flaws and whole being as shown in the previous eras? I can't seem to conceive it. Or maybe creative and artistic laziness is where we're actually going. 

Well she's wearing pink which means pink might be her fave color and also pink is often associated with gay men so the vid is secretly about the gays, she loves us again. What a deep message.

it wasn't laaaahv

DiscoHeaven23

How is this a deeper look at who she is though???

She looks in a mirror and sits and plays a guitar. 

All of her previous videos showed much more of who she is than Million Reasons

Just own it Gaga. The video was subpar

SEXODUS
3 minutes ago, Mood Ring said:

Well she's wearing pink which means pink might be her fave color and also pink is often associated with gay men so the vid is secretly about the gays, she loves us again. What a deep message.

I do feel loved now that you exposed ha.

thehanyo

Honestly, I'm just pissed that we didn't get ANYTHING that felt NEW in this video.

It was literally PI + Apple Music commercial.

I'm happy with simple. I'm happy with emotional and personal. I'm not happy with recycled footage.

Katie14
1 hour ago, HighwayFantasy said:

This video is from the MTV IG Story she took over the day of release. This was posted +-5 minutes after the premiere of the video. So this is not a reaction to the meltdowns here but more in general as note to her new vid she was promoting on MTV's IG page. So you know..

1 hour ago, HighwayFantasy said:

This video is from the MTV IG Story she took over the day of release. This was posted +-5 minutes after the premiere of the video. So this is not a reaction to the meltdowns here but more in general as note to her new vid she was promoting on MTV's IG page. So you know..

This wasn't posted on her or mtv's Instagram. Where was this posted?

monstereo
38 minutes ago, holyscheisse said:

this narrative has been pervasive in her work for like the entirety of her career since born this way era. the fallen victim getting back up again narrative, i mean more specifically.

it was present in:

-marry the night, all about failing only to get back up

-applause video in a way, carrying the leg to symbolize getting over her hip injury

-the ARTPOP film, most obviously..

-swine performances. portrayals of being abused but getting back up

- til it happens to you, obvious

-million reasons video, where something has gone wrong again but still she rises.:v:

either way... gaga is a mess! half of her career has been her sorting out her emotional baggage. its actually crazy i havent realized how significant the whole wronged victim getting back up again narrative is in her work. either way, million reasons video is just meh. its nice its cute. its not powerful to any sort of degree like all the previous times shes gone off about somethng like this.

Yeah, I'm just so over the whole "i'm a victim, and this is me rising up" narrative.

It's getting stale and boring.

Archived