Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
question

Is Gaga wearing another "mask" this era?

Slayer

Featured Posts

Elizabeth

I think she's been both genuine and in-genuine her whole career. It's just who she is, to erratically change herself between eras depending on the vibes of the album. Most artists do it, Gaga just does it to extremes. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joshie S

With this album, and all of her albums, she has always deeply cared about the music side of it, that isn't even a question, I mean, that's HER song at the end of the day, that's going to be her legacy, what she leaves behind. I feel like after Bowies death she really thought about this.

Even in an interview she said "I like to think about music when creating it about how it will sound in 20 years" or something along those lines. She obviously wants (and will have) the impact of how legendary she is.

I don't feel like she is wearing a mask, I just think that this is another side of herself that she is now willing to show us. She was so young when she got famous, everything that "fans" know about her is what they've seen from almost 10 years ago.... she's not the same woman anymore, she's growing up. I mean, I've certainly changed from 10 years ago, haven't you all?

sorry if that was all confusing I'm really high

The melody that you choose can rescue you ♥

Kermit the frog

You can never trust her, so I think it's safe to assume that all things she says about "not caring what people think anymore" are lies, since what she does is exactly trying to prove herself as a NORMAL and GOOD SINGER to the public - she's been doing it since day one, but it's taken over her whole career after ARTPOP.

I can bet 50 bucks that duuring the promo of her next album she'll go back to crazy and will be like "that was me trying to conform to public expectations, now I am free again" or sth among these lines. 

Truly sad indeed.

I think just like any other part of her career her artistry and character as a person is genuine, if not a little... embellished. She weaves stories out of the truth to make them more interesting and more business friendly. Sometimes it's stronger than others, and it's quite easy to tell when she is trying to paint an image of herself. 

"It's not that I don't want to see things exactly as they happened, It's just that I prefer to remember them in an artistic way. It's sort of like my past is an unfinished painting and as the artist of that painting I must fill in all the ugly holes and make it beautiful again." :sis:

I think she has always been authentic with every era. She was making music and dressing how she felt at that time. Just because she switched it up doesn't make her previous eras less authentic.

However, I think we should remind ourselves that Gaga is a brand. I know at times she feels like this untouchable deity, but there's a whole team and a record label behind her. After ARTPOP she said she felt like a "money making machine" and truth be told she still is. Every entertainer is because it's a business. 

I think how she portrayed herself and still does is very much her, but there's still a marketing motive behind it. The outrageous outfits were a way for people to notice her. Now this whole toned down and "family, normal girl" thing she's trying to pull off is also just another tactic to get people talking. 

I understand why people would think she's inauthentic. It's her fault because she went to the extremes and the changes she makes are so much more drastic. 

Also, we all wear masks. We're different when at work/school, we're different when with friends/family, we're different when with our bf/gf and we're different when we're by ourselves. They might not be huge differences in our behaviour when we are put into different enviroment/different people, but they are there. I believe it's just how human beings work. 

SilkSpectre0
11 hours ago, Phoebe said:

I think she has always been authentic with every era. She was making music and dressing how she felt at that time. Just because she switched it up doesn't make her previous eras less authentic.

However, I think we should remind ourselves that Gaga is a brand. I know at times she feels like this untouchable deity, but there's a whole team and a record label behind her. After ARTPOP she said she felt like a "money making machine" and truth be told she still is. Every entertainer is because it's a business. 

I think how she portrayed herself and still does is very much her, but there's still a marketing motive behind it. The outrageous outfits were a way for people to notice her. Now this whole toned down and "family, normal girl" thing she's trying to pull off is also just another tactic to get people talking. 

I understand why people would think she's inauthentic. It's her fault because she went to the extremes and the changes she makes are so much more drastic. 

Also, we all wear masks. We're different when at work/school, we're different when with friends/family, we're different when with our bf/gf and we're different when we're by ourselves. They might not be huge differences in our behaviour when we are put into different enviroment/different people, but they are there. I believe it's just how human beings work. 

:golfclap: This is worded perfectly 

Poor girl can't win. When she wore the outfits because that's how she felt people saw it as inauthentic and now she tones it down because it's how she feels and people call her inauthentic. People are multifaceted, being more simple or more compliacated at any one time doesn't mean she isn't anything else's. My favourite thing about gaga is she isn't afraid to do what feels true to herself regardless of whether other people feel it's her truth :queenga:

Archived