Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga wearing another "mask" this era?

Slayer

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Yeah, I do agree that it's not surprising she's toned down her music and style, but there's got to be a reason for that. It may not be surprising that she has untouched vocals and uses analog instruments and does songs in one take, but you have to admit the Americana vibe comes out of nowhere. I don't think she's ever shown a passion or taken inspiration from that sound before (except for You and I), and then suddenly she comes out with Joanne which has country influences running throughout. Like someone else said, 'Stefani' is from downtown NYC and used to hang around the Guggenheim museum for fun and lit hairspray on fire while go-go dancing to heavy metal music. She's not some cowboy hat-wearing, mid-west American sweetheart. That's not the real Stefani, that's Gaga preparing a palatable, likeable image for football fans at the Superbowl. 

However I think you're right that the minimum promo is most likely her attempt to find balance. I shouldn't have said that she doesn't seem as excited or invested in this era, because she is still putting everything into the few performances she's done. I just can't shake the feeling that her image and sound has something inauthentic about it this era. (I don't think there's anything wrong with her being inauthentic - I believe she built her career on it. But I definitely think she's just wearing another mask/playing another character.)

I see how you could feel that way, but I don't think she created an entire album around The Superbowl - she does seem legitimately connected with the music. Like I said, I think they have marketed this change in her sound and image, but I think it comes from an authentic place.

We have heard Gaga go country before for: 

With influences here:

And she has said:

"When I was little, my father used to play 'I've Got Friends in Low Places' really loud in the basement, and I'd catch him down there dancing by himself, screaming real loud, I thought it was cool.""

I also really like Sycamore's topic

You can see the influence of Elvis Presley not only in the music but in her looks, photoshoots and performances.

It's certainly a switch of genre's, but it feels like any sort of switch in genres would have felt jarring and 'out of nowhere' to at least some of her fans. To me it doesn't strike me as that bizarre to be completely honest. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's certainly not doing little promo not because she doesn't feel the era but because she's planning everything before hand for next year, lol.

Inauthenticity in the record is mostly due to her voice, her use of that strange accent, the dramatic way she sings just puts it off. It feels like you can't really reach her, there's this wall, she is representing emotion instead of feeling it.

And also she tries to please everybody but really doesn't go in any depth. It ends up being a superficial album, which wasn't what most expected. Or more superficial than what it seems like it's the premises.

But i think she really wanted to talk about family, it's just that they found it would be a good strategy to go that way. But it makes totally sense, the execution just isn't that good. I dont think what she says about her dad is false, so makes sense she was interested in learning more about Joanne.

She just barriers when it comes to the public, but she feels it all, and more.

its all done on purpose. gagz knew it. 

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

It might be her fakest "persona" ever. The album lyrics might be honest and straightforward, but that's it. The country vibe is so random and distracting. She's not like that, she has always been over the top - at least that's what we've seen. I get it, she wants to be more mature and herself, but the fact that she doesn't even look like herself fights against the honesty. Don't get me wrong - I think she looks great, but isn't it ironic that after all this years of looking different everyday, she decides to completely change her face now? I thought she was trying to prove a point: "I'm a normal girl". That doesn't make sense to me.

LilARTPOP

This whole Joanne thing is really bizarre to me. 

I feel like she's having a Black Swan moment and fighting the evil Black Swan (by being Joanne) but it'll eventually win... :toofunny:

Ask Jesus Christ who the 5 star chick is

Lord Temptation
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

I don't think it's all that far fetched. We're talking about the girl-turned-woman that's been glitz and glamour, darkness and gore, rebellion and gayness, classical/modern/futuristic and mythical (:hor:), jazzy and classy, and I don't think it's much of a stretch to think she'd put on the craziest show of all - normalcy. It's an interesting conversation at least.

That being said, I personally do agree that what we're seeing now is what little Stefani dreamed she'd be back in the SG Band/teen years. While it's less exciting in some ways, I'm finding the charm that the Joanne era has brought is more than worth it :wub:

I just wish everyone else could be as happy with it as I am :noparty:

I'm excited about this era too! I love that Gaga is showing us a vulnerable side to her that she had covered up for so long.

I can't stop listening to Joanne. It's all spirit.

shmal96

I'm pretty sure most artists go through stages/eras of 'stripped down' music compared to their usual. And being a straight singer/songwriter isn't new to Gaga, that is how she started off...those are her roots. 

SilkSpectre0

Honestly if it weren't for the fashion she's wearing I wouldn't say the album had a country feel or that gaga was wearing a mask. i think she should just holding back a lot because she plans on making Joanne a long era so she doesn't want to play all her cards yet. The mask feeling I'm getting is mainly because she's been doing promo that's not going very deep. 

AlexanderLevi2
20 hours ago, Slayer said:

Yeah, I do agree that it's not surprising she's toned down her music and style, but there's got to be a reason for that. It may not be surprising that she has untouched vocals and uses analog instruments and does songs in one take, but you have to admit the Americana vibe comes out of nowhere. I don't think she's ever shown a passion or taken inspiration from that sound before (except for You and I), and then suddenly she comes out with Joanne which has country influences running throughout. Like someone else said, 'Stefani' is from downtown NYC and used to hang around the Guggenheim museum for fun and lit hairspray on fire while go-go dancing to heavy metal music. She's not some cowboy hat-wearing, mid-west American sweetheart. That's not the real Stefani, that's Gaga preparing a palatable, likeable image for football fans at the Superbowl. 

However I think you're right that the minimum promo is most likely her attempt to find balance. I shouldn't have said that she doesn't seem as excited or invested in this era, because she is still putting everything into the few performances she's done. I just can't shake the feeling that her image and sound has something inauthentic about it this era. (I don't think there's anything wrong with her being inauthentic - I believe she built her career on it. But I definitely think she's just wearing another mask/playing another character.)

I really don't think she created a whole album for the SuperBowl...

Especially since they booked her after they heard the album...

She likes Nebraska and she said she feels at home when she visits friends there (Luc is also from there). Everything a pop star does is an act... But I do feel like this is more authentic than before.

Currently listening to Joanne

AlexanderLevi2
20 hours ago, Lassex said:

It might be her fakest "persona" ever. The album lyrics might be honest and straightforward, but that's it. The country vibe is so random and distracting. She's not like that, she has always been over the top - at least that's what we've seen. I get it, she wants to be more mature and herself, but the fact that she doesn't even look like herself fights against the honesty. Don't get me wrong - I think she looks great, but isn't it ironic that after all this years of looking different everyday, she decides to completely change her face now? I thought she was trying to prove a point: "I'm a normal girl". That doesn't make sense to me.

Let's get over the plastic surgery :nails:

I know plenty of women who go to extremes for beauty but are still true and authentic people.

Currently listening to Joanne

I think everything she's done has been authentic. She maybe got caught up in the whirlwind for a time, but her artistic expressions of all forms, to me, have always reflected her true self at the time. If she was caught up in being who she thought she should be as a superstar for her fans, that was her true self at the time. There's nothing calculated or fake about it to me. It seems like ... bear with me ... this kind of "cold & calculated" idea comes up with powerful or successful women a lot more than it does with men. Wondering if there's something to that. Of course not explicitly, but in our collective subconscious, I wonder if that trope is part of what we think of women. 

Anyway not trying to start an argument, just a thought. 

Yo GagaGaga

Yeah the "father's daughter/Italian Girl" thing does seem kind of routine, like she was told to use those phrases or something similar when asked about the album. And I do die a little inside everytime she says "I'm 30 now, this is just what I want to do now" because I don't think the old Gaga would ever think like that. Didn't she say how turning 30 doesn't mean anything, yet right when she turned 30 she stopped with all the outrage and started being laid back and relatable. Idk I just wished ARTPOP had gone as plan, because I feel like the pop spirit in her died when the world turned against her, and everything since the artrave has been damage control to try to get the world back to loving her again. I feel like she thinks she failed pop music and if she tries it again she'll get the same feed back as ARTPOP

Archived