💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

MTV Reviews Joanne

John Wayne

Featured Posts

A-Yo is about haters but ok :emma:

Other than that this must have been the most honest Joanne review I've read. I really enjoyed it and I do agree that Gaga was vague and did not go into details. But I think it was on purpose because she used personal stories to write songs that speak to everyone in a similar situation not in the exact same situation.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joanne’s closer doesn’t invoke Trayvon as a character so much as it calls upon Trayvon as a symbol, whose death, among others, sparked the Black Lives Matter movement. Gaga’s choice of words supplies a remedy to the newspaper pundits and social-media commenters quick to mark murdered black men as “no angels,” to dredge up the sins they supposedly committed in life in an attempt to justify their premature deaths.

As “Angel Down” closes, Gaga’s words recede into themselves — as if she’s stopped putting on a show and lapsed into prayer while the tape runs out. But her prayer is itself a show; Gaga tells us so.  The deluxe edition of Joanne concludes with a demo version of “Angel Down,” which contains no murmurs. Over unvarnished instrumentation, Gaga sings louder and with more force than she does on the song’s final studio cut. The whisper, like the rest of Joanne’s flourishes, was a choice made in post.

:applause:

Good review although I wish they mentioned Hilary Lindsey since she is responsible for some great tracks. Also most of it focused on Angel Down and Come to Mamma but regardless spot on. 

Ps: A-YO is about group sex?!

MonsterofFame

This was indeed a surprisingly good review. Looks like MTV moved beyond having interns doing their journalism.

She was wrong about Joanne too. The song does mention her name directly, but only briefly and isn't the focus. Gaga already tried writing very specific lyrics that many couldn't connect with in ARTPOP and is probably a big reason why the album didn't do as well.

I almost died at the Madonna comparison with Get Together. How can any part of this album be compared to Madonna?

Archived