opinion

I Figured out Sinner's Prayer!

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

giphy.gif

I came down the mountain
Draggin' our love affair

March 12, 2016. Gaga and Taylor Kinney go to Utah Olympic Park for the "Park City 2016 Celebrity Ski & Smile Challenge", a charity event run by Operation Smile.

My guess is their relationship was on the rocks at this point in time. I picture Gaga coming down a ski mountain having second thoughts about her relationship. Literally dragging her love affair behind her. She's also seen smoking a blunt. Maybe she's trying to get her mind off of things and have a good time? :poot:

March is also the first month where we start seeing her wearing cowboy hats regularly (how do I know this? I scrolled down her instagram feed and there were no cowboy hats in sight before that :madge: ). The Joanne era as we know it is starting to take shape around this time.

Also, the last time we see Taylor in Gaga's instagram pre-breakup is around April 19 (one month after the ski trip), when they go out with a biker gang.

April 24, 2016 (five days after the last picture)

Gaga is on the steps of a church in Chicago and she's seen holding a bible. Her Instagram caption is particularly interesting: "Even the highest powers don't have it all figured out right away. Gotta leave yourself room to discover something new. Even at the last minute. Don't forget to love." 

Gaga is admitting to herself almost that she doesn't have everything figured out. Maybe she's having a serious case of cold feet about her marriage to Taylor -- and it's literally the last minute. Maybe she was in a state of denial this whole time but now she's finally given herself room to think this through, go with her gut instinct, and discover what she really wants. And throughout all of this, I imagine she feels a sense of guilt (that she's about to disappoint her family, friends, and us fans).

May 7, 2016

Gaga is seen in the studio with a Koons Ball, and in the bottom right corner of the photo you can see a piece of paper with the lyrics "Hear my sinner's prayer, I am the fire" on it, so I imagine she had just started writing the song at this point.

It was a hell of a scene at daddy's feast
Nobody saw it coming, but the little red devil in me

Around May 10, Gaga is back in NYC and goes to mass. She has lunch at her father's restaurant ("daddy's feast").

Regarding the "Put on a pretty little number. I'm wearing you still"  line -- she's wearing the exact same outfit she wore to the church in Chicago two weeks before :laughga:

I think it's during this "feast" that Gaga tells her father she's having second thoughts about getting married to Taylor. It causes a "hell of a scene" (Joe is SHOOK) and literally no one sees it coming (hell, we didn't even see it coming :interestinga:). 

For some reason I interpret the next few lines in the verse as Joe speaking (specifically, what he might have said to Gaga to maybe make her feel better).

He has a funny way saying forever too fast
Don't get mad, can't blame a tramp
For something he don't have

Something along the lines of "I never trusted that guy; when he said forever it didn't sound like he meant it; don't worry about it honey, he can't blame anyone, not even a tramp, for something he lacks" and Gaga was probably like "yeah...I guess you're right" and took a bite of her antipasti meatballs :madge: 

The rest of the song is really a 'sinner's prayer' directed at Taylor (a sinner's prayer is "any prayer of repentance, prayed by individuals who feel convicted of the presence of sin in their lives and have the desire to form or renew a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.") In this case, Taylor stands in for Jesus :stalkga:

The second verse is a story within a story, with Gaga's younger sister almost serving as her character foil. Sort of like Gaga telling Taylor "I have a younger sister who's just like me; she stood by her man while he drank and abused her, and look where she ended up. I stood by you too but I don't know if I can anymore." I could write an essay on this but who has the time :wtfga:)

The bridge: I can carry you, but not your ghosts; Wish I had the faith, but I don't know, is almost like Gaga's saying "I wish I could love you and I wish this could work but I don't think it can." The "ghosts" make me sense that Taylor did something that shook Gaga's trust in him (not necessarily cheating though; it could be anything. "I can carry YOU the person, but not the things you've done in the past" essentially). She wishes she had more faith in him but she just doesn't.

Maybe the gist of the whole song is: "Forgive me for the fact that I can't love you like I used to"

Anyway that's all I've got. I want to hear all of your interpretations too 

23.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crybrowz

I was particularly curious about this song because the lyrics are so ambiguous and strange. Thank you for the interpretation

AlexanderLevi2

I was gonna say it was a reach but goddam this is impressive :lana:

Currently listening to Joanne

CannaeDrive

That's a nice story you got there, I'll take it cause I love that song.

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

JustYouandI

What an imaginative reach. You got your timeline wrong baby, that last time they were pictured together was may 31.:grr:

PunkTheFunk
1 minute ago, JustYouandI said:

What an imaginative reach. You got your timeline wrong baby, that last time they were pictured together was may 31.:grr:

show me the receipts

23.gif

display name

Hey gorl can you hear me? In just one thread, u stomped all over every other little detective there ever was. This is impressive :golfclap: 

And a bit depressing :cryga: 

JustYouandI
4 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

show me the receipts

23.gif

Taylor posted it. You need to investigate all parties involved not just gaga, little detective.

PunkTheFunk
1 minute ago, JustYouandI said:

Taylor posted it. You need to investigate all parties involved not just gaga, little detective.

Still doesn't affect my theory though :laughga: 

As far as Taylor was concerned the relationship was a perfect illusion on May 31

23.gif

Gaga Medicine

What about the chorus tho? She is saying that she doesn't want to break the heart of any other man BUT you (somebody). Isn't she wishing bad things for that particular man? When I hear this song I imagine she saying, "I know I am wrong for wishing bad things, I'm not a bad person, but I pray this man gets what he deserves, I can't help feeling this way" or something like that. I always think of the guy who raped her. I don't think she would wish bad things to happen with Taylor.

I am not native in english, I could be reading the sense of the chorus in a wrong way.

Conclusion: TayGa is really OVER. :giveup:

Spoiler

Change that title tho with something provocative :ladyhaha: You were known for that, right? :lolga:

All I ever wanted was 🅻🅾🆅🅴

Archived