❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎
opinion

Meghan's Career Slipping Away Like Ciara's Did

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

When Meghan Trainor burst onto the music scene in 2014, there was no doubting that she was becoming one of the most successful names in the industry at the time. Her debut single "All About That Bass" became one of the biggest hits of the decade. It spent 25 weeks in the Top 10 in the US, eight of those weeks were spent at #1. The song also went #1 in the UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Switzerland and many other countries.

meghan-trainor-all-about-that-bass.31155

The follow up to Meghan's first single was "Lips Are Movin". This was a test to see if she was more than a one hit wonder and she passed the test. The song went Top 10 in every big music market. It peaked at #4 in the US, spending 12 weeks in the Top 10. Her next single "Dear Future Husband" was a bit of a set back worldwide after a bit of backlash for the music video, but it still went Top 20 in the US, Australia, Austria and the UK. Perhaps it seemed like Meghan's star was in danger, but her fourth single "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" with John Legend proved otherwise. At first, in the US, it looked like the song was going to flop, but in its 16th week the song finally reached the Top 20 and in its 18th week it reached the Top 10 and spent 10 weeks there. The longevity of the song was most impressive, spending 39 weeks on the chart. It is important to note that the song didn't fare well in some big markets.

MXpfY.jpg

Without wasting any time, Meghan started her second era and released her lead single "No". Initially the song was received well, spending 5 weeks in the Top 10 in the US. But then the song began to fall, and fall fast. The song stayed on the chart for only 19 weeks. Internationally the song had a mixed reception. Therefore, Meghan released her second single "Me Too" 2 months after "No" was released. The song had promise, but eventually suffered the same fate as "No" and fell down the chart quickly after reaching a peak of 13. Worldwide, Megan's popularity began to suffer even more than in the US. Suddenly, Australia and Canada were the only two countries supporting her. Meghan released her third single "Better" last month and the song has still yet to chart in any big music market. The video has been out for 2 weeks now and only has 8 million views. A number that is very low for any big act. 

meghan-trainor-red-hair-1000x600.jpeg

This career trajectory is very similar to that of mid-2000's obsession Ciara. Ciara had one of the most successful eras of the 2000's with her album Goodies. Her first three singles peaked in the Top 2, and spent a combined 45 weeks in the Top 10. Ciara's second album debuted with her lead single "Get Up" and went into the Top 10 just like "No", but didn't spend very much time in the top region of the charts. Her second single "Promise" went into the top 20, much like "Me Too", peaking at #11. From that point on, Ciara failed to have songs perform well and her dominance was lost (minus moderate success with her 2009 song with Justin Timberlake).

Goodies_cover.jpg

So just an observation I had. I really didn't expect what's happening with Meghan Trainor to happen. There was a part of me that thought her career was going to be similar to Katy Perry's. But alas, that's not the way things went. I have never been a fan of Meghan, but her new single "Better" is my favorite single of hers and I'm surprised at the lack of success for it. 

• PartySick locked and unlocked this topic
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahri Under You

I don't think charts are the only thing that determines if you're successful. I know a lot of people who listen to and love her new music. I've actually heard her songs when I'm out and about too. Just because her new music isn't top 10 for 45 weeks doesn't mean that people aren't listening to it. A lot of people enjoy her new stuff!

Personally, the only song I liked out of her first 4 singles was "Like I'm Gonna Lose You". So far I've liked all of her new songs

RAMROD

No surprises, really. People can seethe but she really don't have much redeeming quality to be a superstar.

If not for Troy, I doubt she will pulled through in the first place.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Not The Real Gaga
Just now, CLLGaga said:

She has to lose weight if she wants longevity

That's so rude... What a stupid reply :fthis:

Ahri Under You
10 minutes ago, CLLGaga said:

Adele looks good with weight on. Meg doesn't, 

I don't even think Meghan is very heavy at all... She's not thin like others but nowhere near fat or big for that matter.

Bayonetta
26 minutes ago, CLLGaga said:

Adele looks good with weight on. Meg doesn't, 

honestly...

Spoiler

... just shut the **** up

Archived