💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

No, the album cover is not "iconic"

Jenniferella

Featured Posts

MonsterPaws

I'm actually taking a linguistics course this semester. And I think you're getting semantics and pragmatics confused. The fanbase isn't using the term 'iconic' in it's lexicon definition, but more in the lines of words like 'great' or 'favorite' etc.

In the same way 'slay me mama' doesn't actually mean 'kill me mama'.

Or at least I think that's the case. If they are actually referring to the cover as 'iconic' by definition, then you are correct to say they're wrong.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jenniferella
Just now, Assarrai said:

Nobody's using it rightfully, just like the word "literally". Welcome to 2016. 

"They don't do it so why would I", what a silly way of thinking. Welcome to 2016. 

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Jenniferella
Just now, MonsterPaws said:

I'm actually taking a linguistics course this semester. And I think you're getting semantics and pragmatics confused. The fanbase isn't using the term 'iconic' in it's lexicon definition, but more in the lines of words like 'great' or 'favorite' etc.

In the same way 'slay me mama' doesn't actually mean 'kill me mama'.

Or at least I think that's the case. If they are actually referring to the cover as 'iconic' by definition, then you are correct to say they're wrong.

I'm quite obsessed with words and the way people use them, it has always been like that with me. It just irritates me when I see people confidently and blindly using words they don't know the meaning of.

I agree with you. I think they confuse "timeless" with iconic. They are not the same. I believe it will be iconic for her later on but not now. 

AlexanderMagno

First of all, I think you're right. But most of all, thank you for posting this, because slightly divergent opinions about what's going on deserve a thread as much as all those "I love it!" threads that no one seems to argue about.

Anyway, I know it goes against your words but the first time I saw the Born This Way standard cover I immediately thought "iconic". Maybe because it was waaaay too daring, waaay too over the top, way too different, but that cover is iconic :giggle:

If Joanne truly is as personal and unique as they (Gaga + team) are saying, sure this could be Gaga's very own "Tapestry" or "Blue".

4 minutes ago, Mood Ring said:

I think the OP meant the second definition of the word, in which case he is right, the song and the cover are nowhere near iconic - yet.

Yeah I got that, but if anybody has been here long enough would know that we're not using the word literally either, its not like we're expecting the album cover to make it to every "Top 10 most iconic album covers" lists, and if not we'll have a meltdown. Its just an expression of love, shook.

blackcoffee

An album cover being iconic is, in fact, part opinion. There are list from serveral publications of "Most Iconic Album Covers" and whatnot and none of the list perfectly align because the whole interpretation of it being "iconic" is partially in the eyes of the beholder. That's how art works. That said, using the term "iconic" does imply that there is a general, popular consensus of it being popular, instantly recognizable, and one that stands the test of time. This new cover has yet to prove this except an overwhelming positive reaction from people.

I think when many of us, myself included, say "iconic" it is more implication that we believe one day it'll be iconic. I also think "iconic" is being used so much because this album cover is reminiscent of classic, iconic album covers...the soft, pastel coloring, hat, pose, and simplicity are classic, yet modern, thus why so many of us are interpreting it as "iconic".

I used the adjective to describe it yesterday and I stand by it because what I meant from it was that I feel one day this cover will be iconic.

chromaticainmyhead

I think people value that cover not because of how it looks but what associations it arouses.  
This is her most personal album which basically means it will be her most different from her previous ones. She's changed a lot since ARTPOP came out. Many people from GP, especially from non-US/northern American states will not recognize her anymore simply because they still have that old pictures from her in their minds. I dare to predict that it will be an album with probably the highest critical acclaim she ever got so far and also GP will enjoy that new side from her. 

Fans here have high expectations and telling from the versatility and enormous amount of talent she has, she definitely has the potential to become a Pop-legend for GP just like MJ, David Bowie, Prince, etc. 
People will look back on her career and say "This album was another milestone. This cut was the most career-defining moment. She truly changed when it was released." 

Those associations define an album as "iconic", not only the aesthetic.

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay

People do throw strong words around a LOT these days. It irritates me too. 'Literally' is the worst.

But remember that sometimes it is a joke though! 

I use words like 'iconic' and 'literally' wrong all the time as a joke. Think of it as hyperbole or satire or colloquialism.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

5 minutes ago, DevilHeart said:

"They don't do it so why would I", what a silly way of thinking. Welcome to 2016. 

There's a lot of words that lost their original context over time, like "Shít" "fück", "slay"....etc.

Iconic isn't the first nor will it be the last. It's not a big deal, move on.

djBuffoon

Sometimes you see a costume (Uma Thurman's Kill Bill tracksuit) or a scene (the extreme close-up in The Blair Witch Project) or an album cover (Lemonade) and you think "Yes, that has the potential to be a timeless image." It's obviously too early to tell, but I think Joanne has that potential.

Jenniferella
1 minute ago, djBuffoon said:

Sometimes you see a costume (Uma Thurman's Kill Bill tracksuit) or a scene (the extreme close-up in The Blair Witch Project) or an album cover (Lemonade) and you think "Yes, that has the potential to be a timeless image." It's obviously too early to tell, but I think Joanne has that potential.

Exactly

Petrichor

Who are you to judge whether it's iconic or not? Literally we can only know that answer after quite some period of time. Also, it's not just the album cover that makes it iconic, it's the quality of the project as well.

• Haroon locked this topic

Archived