Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Doesn't Gaga Typically Climb in Charts?

YeehawKylie

Featured Posts

YeehawKylie

So, everyone seems to be quite concerned with Perfect Illusion's debut chart position. But, doesn't Gaga's singles typically climb the chart? I understand that Born this Way is an exception, but that was the lead single after Gaga's successful debut album and even more successful EP. Most of her songs from The Fame climbed the chart, as did the follow-up singles to BTW (let's leave Judas out of this for times sake). You and I did a slow climb if I recall. 

I suspect Perfect Illusion will slowly climb as well. It'll drop from it's Top 20 debut, but resurface later as more promotion kicks in (television performances, music video, album information released). It's not common for an artist to debut at #1, it's quite difficult. While I understand Gaga has been successful during her hiatus from pop music and regained some of her fan base, as well as anticipation for her follow up album to ARTPOP, we still need to understand that our anticipation does not meet the GP's. Gaga went from being popular with the general public to being almost taboo (in my opinion) by the end of Born this Way (which no doubt hurt ARTPOP's sales and image). 

Some fans can probably give more numbers and facts, I'm too lazy. The bottom line is that my recommendation is to be patient. Gaga is not the top pop star she was 6-7 years ago. This is, believe it or not, a rebuilding period for her. I'm actually excited to see how it all rolls out and see how it maneuvers the charts. 

GloZell Green

Yeah. A friendly reminder that BR debuted with less copies than Applause in its first week, coming a huge debut era in a time where sales were larger

Lady Gaga | Shakira

Not always, Born This Way was a hit right away but those were totally different circumstances 

so yeah

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

boobtank

They usually do climb, but Bad Romance's debut spot was #9, Born This Way was #1 and Applause was #6 (I think). So Perfect Illusion would be her lowest debut spot since 2008. This doesn't mean it won't claim that #1 spot. :sis: I just don't get why she hasn't been performing it at all yet. The song has been out for nearly a week and we've got a crappy recording of her performing it in a bar. By now she would have performed it a couple of times, or there would have been announcements about television appearances. 

I agree, I'd love to see this go #1.. But I don't expect it for at least until the MV is out.. But regardless of the sales, the song is amazing and I'm grateful for it & stoked for the next single! 

This so much.

Friendly throwback to almost a week ago - so many of us here on GGD and twitter/tumblr were disappointed with PI upon the first few listens, and here we are realizing this song's a crazy grower. I actually remember the same happened with BR upon its debut.

Putting this on a broader perspective, I'm sure the same's gonna happen with the GP. Give it some time. :)

(If the video can come within the next two weeks, and not like a month, that would be great though.)

YeehawKylie
2 minutes ago, Robot said:

I actually remember the same happened with BR upon its debut.

Yes, if one can believe it I was actually disappointed when Bad Romance came out. It wasn't what I expected, coming off the high of Paparazzi. I don't remember when it caught on for me, but I think it was after the video came out. 

The thing is... there is no safe pattern for Gaga singles.

She was one of a kind. After Bad Romance her fame was something that wasn't seen since Madonna or MJ. There is no way we can say that she tends to climb or fall. All of her singles were more than "singles". They were Events, something people cared and waited for. We, Little Monsters, were a force at the time. She was the most powerful entertainer in the world. 

Beyonce may be huge now, but at the time, Gaga was not seen as the top of the chain, but something like a different league. 

First of all, she was more international than US common popstars, something that Beyonce or Katy Perry still struggle to be. Madonna is, for the best or the worst, the only PopStar that you can say that achieved this kind of world domination.

Now, after ARTPOP things changed and we really can't quantify how famous gaga still is or how she will perform cause her fame was massive. She isn't reconstructing her career only in the US but around the world.

Gaga is just not your average player. Even today, in Europe we can see this by how famous some songs are. 

There were degrees that used Gaga as a subject only after two year on her career. This is impressive and at the time it was something new.

YeehawKylie
4 minutes ago, andresaramago said:

Now, after ARTPOP things changed and we really can't quantify how famous gaga still is or how she will perform cause her fame was massive. She isn't reconstructing her career only in the US but around the world.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful post. I agree, this really is a reconstruction of her career internationally, so I do understand that makes fans nervous in watching her work be released. Still, I do think she has a pattern of rising in the charts, rather than debuting (or even generally) topping them. She does tend to create memorable work, however, even if it doesn't top the charts (unlike Katy Perry, who has countless #1s but doesn't seem to make lasting work). So I do understand what you're saying. 

I find Gaga to be a very nostalgic artist. All of her eras, even when I wasn't a fan (ARTPOP made me a fan, though I always loved hearing her singles during TF/TFM) her work defined a time and place for me. I expect LG5 will do the same. 

2 minutes ago, koonsisme said:

Thanks so much for the thoughtful post. I agree, this really is a reconstruction of her career internationally, so I do understand that makes fans nervous in watching her work be released. Still, I do think she has a pattern of rising in the charts, rather than debuting (or even generally) topping them. She does tend to create memorable work, however, even if it doesn't top the charts (unlike Katy Perry, who has countless #1s but doesn't seem to make lasting work). So I do understand what you're saying. 

I find Gaga to be a very nostalgic artist. All of her eras, even when I wasn't a fan (ARTPOP made me a fan, though I always loved hearing her singles during TF/TFM) her work defined a time and place for me. I expect LG5 will do the same. 

Yes, sometimes people compare Gaga to others, but the thing is that she was an anomaly at the time (from The Fame until Born this Way). LG5 is Gaga after that anomaly.

She was the pioneer of the popstar empowered by facebook, myspace, instagram, twitter etc... 

Even if Gaga fades right now, her first Eras will stay in history as something that we won't see in a while and that changed the world of music. Gaga is in many ways the peak of Popart philosophy. Many people thinks that The Fame was created with this is ideals in mind. It wasn't about the music, but trully about fame. We were manipulated by her cause she understood how society worked with Fame. While people made Katy Perry, Gaga made herself a popstar (I don't know if this makes sense). Gaga made us go to her. 

Gaga would be comparable to Rihanna (great international appeal) or to some degree Shakira (low pull in the US but major artist Worldwide to these days). And even then, you would have to factor so many things in this.

Most of the singles gaga had were Nº1 mostly because she was famous. I don't mean the songs were bad, but her fame made her debut high. When you go high you just can fall.

I'm expecting for PI to be a new debut for her and climb the charts just like just dance did many years ago.

Fernster7

I just want to make clear that this song is not going #1. It does not mean it won't be a hit tho. Let's give it time. :)

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

Thomas P
3 minutes ago, Fernster7 said:

I just want to make clear that this song is not going #1. It does not mean it won't be a hit tho. Let's give it time. :)

There can be miracles 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Fernster7
30 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

There can be miracles 

We better start praying then because I don't see it happening at all. *lights Alejandro candle*

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

Archived