đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

BloodPop interview about Perfect Illusion on Rolling Stone

wahkeenasitka

Featured Posts

wahkeenasitka

I don't think this is AP, can't find it elsewhere on the site.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/lady-gaga-producer-bloodpop-details-perfect-illusion-creation-w438828

What was Gaga's mission statement for the single?
There wasn't a conversation of what it should sound like. We all kind of spoke a similar language. The thing I'm most excited about is it's totally non-derivative of anything on the radio right now — which I think is plaguing the radio a little bit, like this song sounds like that song. "Perfect Illusion," you can't look at any song in the last five or 10 years and be like, "This sounds like that." It's its own thing.

How would you describe the sound?
It’s soul-rooted and super-traditional songwriting. And rock. Yet it still has the heart of pop and dance.

How literal do you mean "soul-rooted"? Was Gaga inspired by traditional soul songwriting or production?
I don't think it's too literal. The first week I came in, I said, "You know what this is? It's cowboy pop." Not in the way of a pop star wearing a cowboy hat, but in a super-authentic cowboy [way] — listen to the radio and, "You know what, I can **** with that." It's a big rock song that makes you want to dance and has an amazing chorus. That's soulful to me, but it is not soul music.

With you, Ronson and Parker in the crew, how actively was Gaga involved with songwriting?
Gaga's sitting there with a typewriter and a guitar and writing this **** herself. She's never not in the room. She's never not writing. She's not at the back of the train; she's at the front, controlling the speed. So when people are like, "Is it going to sound like this?" or "Is it going to sound like that?," it's all being tied together by her and her influences.

How did you come to work on "Perfect Illusion"?
I've always been a huge fan, but the connection came through Mark Ronson. He had heard an album I'm working on right now for another artist that he liked and we connected through that. Mark reached out [at the] end of May. And I went up to Malibu and met with him, and [in] the first few days, Kevin came in and the first single was done. It's been a quick couple of months here.

Can you break down who worked on what?
Kevin came in with this pretty-formed demo that everybody loved. And Mark is so good at recording and arranging and writing on every instrument, and Kevin's great at instruments. I'm terrible at instruments. I'm not what you would call a trained musician. Kevin also worked on the [music-production hardware] Ableton so he was like a bridge between Mark and I. It was a really good mix of analog and digital talents and the combined songwriting talents of everybody.

Where did you record?
We did a little bit in Mailbu and we did some in New York, and then they did a few days in her house. It's just kind of everywhere, wherever there’s time and the people. In New York, we were at Electric Lady, just doing vocals for the single. The Malibu studio, Shangri-La, was great, just because it’s out of LA, which I feel is too many influences pushing down on you. That's away from any kind of city stuff, so it feels like you're on a farm or something.

How would you describe the feel of the four of you working together in the studio?
It's been a great vibe from the start to finish. It's like a bunch of weird neighbor kids hanging out on a lazy Sunday doing a project. Everybody just feels like old friends in a way. And there’s no question of what the goal is, or what the level of quality should be before something's done.

YAASS idk his music but he's obviously very smart and seems like a really cool person.

Don't visit my profile

PaperIz
1 minute ago, Indeciso said:

sorry to be that guy, i think its my first time, but AP

Edit this before the mods see it, you don't want the WP :sis:

Anyways I love this! They seem like a real family or best friends. So stoked for the record!

LostBoyfriend
Just now, PaperIz said:

Edit this before the mods see it, you don't want the WP :sis:

Anyways I love this! They seem like a real family or best friends. So stoked for the record!

Oh my god, its a rule?????! I didn't know 

PaperIz
1 minute ago, Indeciso said:

Yes it is lol. Just flag the thread as AP. That's where one of my WPs came from :flop: 

littlepotter
6 minutes ago, Indeciso said:

Yes but it's not that serious if it's the first time :yay: Also I don't even think it's AP, I've only heard the 'big rock song' but yesterday, or am I wrong?

chaeri pls

LostBoyfriend
1 minute ago, littlepotter said:

Yes but it's not that serious if it's the first time :yay: Also I don't even think it's AP, I've only heard the 'big rock song' but yesterday, or am I wrong?

Spoiler

I think it was edited, in the morning it had the same text as above, now its just the same link to Rolling Stones article

• AyaKara locked this topic
AyaKara

Hey wahkeenasitka, thanks for posting the article. It was posted here earlier today. So, just make sure you check any related threads before you post an article or video. :)

Archived