Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why does the industry deny Grace Jone's impact?

Hexxx

Featured Posts

Altair
2 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

Aside from "La Vie En Rose" ... her actual "biggest hit" on radio and in clubs was "Pull Up to the Bumper" (a song which you can still her on occasion on old school R&B radio stations in the US to this day): 

(and yes, @Hexxx, I officially retract my prior comments... this one is a ****ing BOP!!)

...and honorable mentions to another one of her moderate hits, "Slave to the Rhythm": 

OMG!!!!

they play pull up to the bumper at my job. LMAO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Computer said:

I have only known of her when she shaded Gaga.

Does she have a song?  I haven't heard it.

Try the songs above and this one

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Seeka

i remember her when she shaded Gaga.

here's the thing, while I admit Gaga isn't original, an older person who paved the way for Gaga shading her means she is less respectable than others would like to believe.

Especially since, every once in a while, the roads have to be repaved.

aaronyoji
1 hour ago, Iwontell said:

Well, she wasn't as popular as Madonna or as Michael...and she also wasn't as innovative as Bowie or Prince - I mean, to many ppl she was just a model turned singer. She is an icon, sure, and her "power dressing" has influenced younger artists for decades (Gaga being an obvious example of it)...but even then you could argue that she didn't come up with those clothes or aesthetics herself for the most part...

I'm not saying anything to drag her, I'm just trying to answer your question. Idk, I think when you appreciate someone's work it really doesn't matter what other ppl think of them...so just enjoy her :)

just tell me, at least musically, what exactly is innovative about prince and bowie? everyone always alludes to their music being so risky but what exactly did they do? I'm aware of their discographies and hits so I'm not totally ignorant, and they all kind of allude to what was already popular in those decades it seems 

SKANK

I disagree with the premise of this thread, the industry doesn't deny her impact, and neither does anyone else who knows the first thing about her work. Grace is constantly cited as major cultural influence. She has always been highly praised by cultural critics and taste makers. The cover of Island Life is one of the most famous photographs of all time, Pull Up To The Bumper is still played on the radio, contemporary pop stars are constantly paying homage to her. She has had tremendous sucess for someone who challenged the norm both musically and visually.

Iwontell
29 minutes ago, aaronyoji said:

just tell me, at least musically, what exactly is innovative about prince and bowie? everyone always alludes to their music being so risky but what exactly did they do? I'm aware of their discographies and hatstand not totally ignorant, and they all kind of allude to what was already popular in those decades it seems 

Well, I can speak about Bowie with more ease than I can talk about Prince, tbh. Bowie definitely contributed for connecting fashion and music during his glam phase (many of Ziggy's outfits were Kansai Yamamoto) and that was early 70's. Then there's the crafting of the personas for some of his projects, which also brought acting into play (ppl talk about Ziggy, but there was also "Duke", "Halloween Jack" and some other unnamed sudden "changes" of attitudes afterwards). Musically, he played with a bunch of sub-genres in his work and brought many of them to the larger public's attention - his Berlin trilogy, in which he worked with Brian Eno, who's a legendary producer, is a perfect example of that. In the 80's he went a little more commercial again, and than in the 90's he went full on experimental with Earthling and Outside, during a time in which proper electronic music wasn't a stablished thing. All the while, he managed to keep coming up with charming melodies, smart lyrics, interesting subjects to his work...he was a well read man who brought a lot of the ideas and perspectives he absorbed in that way to what he created. And, most importantly, because of all of those things he influenced an army of younger artists who kept pushing art and music forward, having these trenches Bowie had opened as a starting point...so his impact on music and on popular culture is really remarkable.

Prince is someone I don't know very well, but I keep seeing him being mentioned in the same way...so there's at least a consensus that he's an innovator and an influential figure in music. 

PS: sorry if I sound a little confusing...I'm really sleepy and english is like my third language :P

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

HausOfNicole

I think the issue is that Grace was very much underground. Plus Grace wasn't a radio star when it was extremely important to be. Those who know better credit her, unfortunately there are so many ignorant of her presence, and if they do know her it's on a minimal level. 

President Trump
2 hours ago, ReidOne said:

Her visual art is on point. No question. 

But her music sucks. Yep, I said it. Her music absolutely BLOWS. Not a bop to be found. 

Ma ma pa pa pa

ReidOne
1 minute ago, HausOfNicole said:

I think the issue is that Grace was very much underground. Plus Grace wasn't a radio star when it was extremely important to be. 

aka, no bops.

Exactly. 

Solitaire

Did Grace ever have any big hits? No shade intended, I'm genuinely curious. It seems like everyone knows her name, but I didn't even know she was a singer until recently. :flop: 

- Previously Sycothisis

LUO YI

I truly appreciate her work as an artist and I'm getting to her music :) I listened Hurricane and Nightclubbing and my favourite song is William's Blood. 

She inspires me too :giveup: 

The night sky tells all

HausOfNicole
12 hours ago, ReidOne said:

aka, no bops.

Exactly. 

I mean that's a matter of taste TBH. She never made bubblegum radio music, but I personally love quite a few of her songs and they could've been bigger hits with a decent push. 

StrawberryBlond

I think it's purely because she never had major chart success. When a singer doesn't have that, it's hard for their impact to be appreciated. Honestly, I had never heard a single one of her songs until she dissed Gaga and I researched her. I had heard her name in passing once but it's a reasonably ordinary name and I never thought anything of it or knew what she did. So, anyone who thinks she made a massive impact on music...I think that's a bit delusional. I was born in 1989 and am well aware of singers before my generation, even some obscure ones, but I'd never heard of her. I had seen that cover of her standing on one leg with the mic before but I didn't know that was someone famous, I assumed it was just a random model (initially, I actually thought it was a waxwork because of how she was positioned and the shine that gleamed off her!). I can see how her looks could have been replicated but her music? Just...no. So, when she dissed Gaga and acted like she was queen of the world and I found out that she took a massive break from albums between 1989 and 2008, I was like, really? Who does she think she is? She comes across like one of those people who are legends in their own minds.

her music is not memorable nor her music videos plus is actually boring imo

that's why barely any one remembers her or cares about her

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Archived