đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

other

VMAs by the numbers

abductee

Featured Posts

abductee

Since there's A LOT of talk about the VMAs, promo, and what it means for Gaga's upcoming single I thought I'd compile some information.

First, let's see how performing at the VMAs corresponds to hit songs:

2015 - Justin Bieber's 'What Do You Mean' went #1 for 1 week after performing. (The Weeknd's 'Can’t Feel My Face' was already number 1 before the show) - Both Justin and the Weeknd had #1 albums after the show. Hello by Adele was #1 for 7 weeks with no performance.
2014 - Taylor Swift had two #1s after performing, and Ariana and Taylor both had a #1 album after. (C2C went #1 with no award show performances). Megan Trainers AATB went number one for 8 weeks without being performed.
2013 - Katy's 'Roar' went #1 after performing. (Applause peaked at #4), and 'Royals' by Lorde was #1 for 9 weeks without performing.
2012 - No song performed went number 1 AFTER the show ('We Are Never Getting Back Together' was already #1 two weeks before). Additionally, Maroon 5’s 'One More Night' went #1 for 8 weeks with no performance.
2011 - Adele’s 'Someone Like You' went #1 almost two months later. (You and I peaked at #6 a few weeks after the performance). 'We Found Love' went #1 for 8 weeks without a performance.
2010 - No song performed went #1 after the show. Bruno Mar's 'Just the Way Your Are' went #1 for four weeks without a performance.

While there is definitely a correlation between at least one person performing and having a Billboard #1, it's interesting to note that the biggest hit of every fall since 2010 was NOT performed at the VMAs.

Since the 2006 Grammys, only two artists who performed at the VMAs went on to win Album of the Year (Adele and Taylor), and only three went on to win Record of the Year (Adele, Sam Smith and Green Day.)

It's also important to note how many people watch the VMAs to consider how a performance there will impact the public.

2015- 5.03 million
2014- 8.3 million
2013- 10.1 million
2012- 6.13 million
2011- 12.4 million

The VMAs ratings have been notoriously dropping since its record high in 2011 when Gaga opened the show, but they have even less of a shine when compared to other award shows. For comparison the 2016 Grammys were watched by 24.95 million people, and the 2016 Oscars were watched by 34.4 million people.

It's also important to note that the American Horror Story: Hotel premiere attracted 5.8 million viewers, and with the current mystery theme going on the number is expected to rise this year.

I wasn’t able to find any info on how many people watch Apple events, but according to Google Trends the phrase “Apple Music” had about 39 million searches in June 2015 when it was unveiled. In comparison the VMAs that year had about 21 million searches. 

Some final notes on Gaga and the VMAs:

- No song Gaga has performed at the VMAs went #1
- She's had thirteen Top 10 songs, seven of which were never performed at a major American awards show
- Born This Way is the only song she performed at a major American award show before it went #1
- The VMA ratings spike every year she attends

Just food for thought. :nails:

MaryJaneHolland
1 minute ago, abductee said:

Megan Trainers AATB went number one for 8 weeks without being performed.

tumblr_nl89isV3Jc1qm1vx8o1_500.gif

such a basic song, 8 weeks #1? Billboard, delete your charts :saladga:

She just needs to attend the red carpet, get some hype going

Would be nice to see her in the audience too, get some viral gif meme or some shiit

rihannamiley.gif

Jester

Good job with that OP, really interesting facts :applause: 

I really hope she's a big part of the upcoming Apple events / campaign

lifeasgeorge

Okay........ but a VMA performance still means publicity targeted at a younger demographic and still leads to sales boosts soooo she should still perform 

live and let live

Weasel

Uhm some people might just want a performance (like me), I'll leave the benefits of it to her management thanks :nails:

abductee
2 minutes ago, Jester said:

Good job with that OP, really interesting facts :applause: 

I really hope she's a big part of the upcoming Apple events / campaign

Thanks! I just thought we're hearing a lot about what people WANT, but very little in terms of facts about the show.

Born To Slay

That 2015 number only includes the viewers on MTV which is a problem because last year the show was shown on several channels when it wasn't done like that previously. With all channels combined the show got 9.8m viewers last year and it broke a record for most tweeted about non sports show in history. 

Also lets not forget that while it's not the biggest award like the Grammys or oscars, it's still one of the most discussed and watched shows of the year. 

About the hits portion, just because you can have a hit without the show doesn't mean it doesn't help. As you showed in ur op, many songs performed at show went on to become big hits. Roar didn't go number one until the VMAs. 

abductee
3 minutes ago, Born To Slay said:

That 2015 number only includes the viewers on MTV which is a problem because last year the show was shown on several channels when it wasn't done like that previously. With all channels combined the show got 9.8m viewers last year and it broke a record for most tweeted about non sports show in history. 

Also lets not forget that while it's not the biggest award like the Grammys or oscars, it's still one of the most discussed and watched shows of the year. 

About the hits portion, just because you can have a hit without the show doesn't mean it doesn't help. As you showed in ur op, many songs performed at show went on to become big hits. Roar didn't go number one until the VMAs. 

I'm aware of that, a lot of the other numbers increased because of broadcasts on other channels, live streams etc so I only included the initial broadcast numbers for all of them.

And I agree about the hits! I'm not trying to argue that she should definitely not perform, just that she doesn't necessarily need to as it seems the VMAs are bigger in our heads than they actually are.

Gaga Monster

VMAs boost sale and target a younger demographic that Gaga has lost, last time the younger kids remembered her it was Applause. It also boosts sales by a lot and millions of people see her, especially with Beyonce, britney, and Rihanna ratings will be super high. The VMAs don't need Gaga, she needs them. If she doesn't release her single on 8/26 and perform, it will be a big mistake since she needs the exposure. 

GGD Presidential Elections

Archived