Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

During Gagas Peak... Did You Foresee Her Downfall?

Economy

Featured Posts

Bad Bromance

Well, as @RAMROD said, whatever goes up must come down so I did expect her popularity and world dominance to wane a little.  For some reason, though, I have this feeling her LG5 era will be her best era ever.  This is the calm before the storm and we aren't ready.   :giveup:

I don't care what you think about unless it is about me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeanWinchester
6 minutes ago, Economy said:

the 30% that said applause were super hyped so im guessing they were little momsters spamming the radio station with calls and not general public :rip: 

Those who said they prefered roar actually sounded normal and sane :air: 

:rip:

it was horrible. I wanted to enjoy the music but the kats and the overzealous monsters were :icega:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

ReidOne

I saw it coming. I remember in January 2010, when Gaga love was at fever pitch and she signed on to be the "Creative Director" or Polaroid, my 40-year-old boss at the time told me "your favorite really has become quite the phenomenon! What do you think of all this!?" ... I replied, "I'm so proud of her, but I'm worried. She is the definition of overexposed. A backlash is guaranteed at this point." 

shane_c

I think I saw it coming during Fame Monster or just after. She said "I want to do the right thing" and thats when I thought she was going to go in the wrong direction. I think people liked her because she was rebellious and seemed like a throwback to before everybody was so sensitive and it was a more anything goes type atmosphere in the 70s and 80s. Thats the message I think she sent with her videos from The Fame especially and TFM. There was also an article in Time magazine in late 2009 I think where she praised Deepak Chopra who is sort of a liberal new age guru. I think he had influence on her to "do good" with her fame. I think her Mom read her fan mail and a lot of it was from people that were troubled and being bullied and that did too. That led to Born This Way which is what I think led to her decline, it turned off a lot of her straight female fans. I remember hearing there was a tug of war about the direction she would go in. I always imagined it being between Interscope, Troy Carter... against her Mom, influences like Chopra... and the preachy side won. I didnt know it was going to be lgbt and so blatantly in a lead single and title of an album, but I knew she was going to preach something.

And she's still on the same path with her activism about bullying and kindness and TIHTY... Even ARTPOP is like that because its sort of elitist and cynical about capitalist pop culture. Thats different from the "pop culture will never be low brow" message during The Fame when she celebrated pop. Between Fame Monster and BTW she sort of turned everything that made her a success completely on its head. If I could offer her one criticism and what she should change thats what it would be, I would suggest that she not be so liberal and politically correct.

ReidOne
6 minutes ago, shane_c said:

I think I saw it coming during Fame Monster or just after. She said "I want to do the right thing" and thats when I thought she was going to go in the wrong direction. I think people liked her because she was rebellious and seemed like a throwback to before everybody was so sensitive and it was a more anything goes type atmosphere in the 70s and 80s. Thats the message I think she sent with her videos from The Fame especially and TFM. There was also an article in Time magazine in late 2009 I think where she praised Deepak Chopra who is sort of a liberal new age guru. I think he had influence on her to "do good" with her fame. I think her Mom read her fan mail and a lot of it was from people that were troubled and being bullied and that did too. That led to Born This Way which is what I think led to her decline, it turned off a lot of her straight female fans. I remember hearing there was a tug of war about the direction she would go in. I always imagined it being between Interscope, Troy Carter... against her Mom, influences like Chopra... and the preachy side won. I didnt know it was going to be lgbt and so blatantly in a lead single and title of an album, but I knew she was going to preach something.

And she's still on the same path with her activism about bullying and kindness and TIHTY... Even ARTPOP is like that because its sort of elitist and cynical about capitalist pop culture. Thats different from the "pop culture will never be low brow" message during The Fame when she celebrated pop. Between Fame Monster and BTW she sort of turned everything that made her a success completely on its head. If I could offer her one criticism and what she should change thats what it would be, I would suggest that she not be so liberal and politically correct.

Your observations are not wrong, but I completely disagree. It is BECAUSE of her decision to use her voice to release "Born This Way" at that critical moment that keeps me here today. That is literally WHY I am still here. 

"Born This Way" was the most played song on a single day in the history of US radio on the day of it's release. She knew that would be the case. She used to opportunity to release something with true meaning, that added fuel to the fire of an entire human rights movement.

What more do you want from a pop act? Another song about fame culture?

Sorry, not trying to upset you, but just offering a counter opinion. I know BTW led to the backlash and the cooling off of her GP success, but I would absolutely not change a thing. 

Sudarshana

nobody could have predicted artpоp after three years of mind-blowing hits

Nous sommes tous obligés, pour rendre la réalité supportable, d'entretenir en nous quelques petites folies. — Marcel Proust

shane_c
14 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

Your observations are not wrong, but I completely disagree. It is BECAUSE of her decision to use her voice to release "Born This Way" at that critical moment that keeps me here today. That is literally WHY I am still here. 

"Born This Way" was the most played song on a single day in the history of US radio on the day of it's release. She knew that would be the case. She used to opportunity to release something with true meaning, that added fuel to the fire of an entire human rights movement.

What more do you want from a pop act? Another song about fame culture?

Sorry, not trying to upset you, but just offering a counter opinion. I know BTW led to the backlash and the cooling off of her GP success, but I would absolutely not change a thing. 

I didnt say it wasn't the right thing to do morally, just that it damaged her career and led to her decline. Those are two different things. We can both be right. 

And I just want to add that she's made an amazing comeback that may even be more impressive than when she was at her peak. That whole period after C2C, to the Grammys, sound of music, I wish, Super Bowl, AHS..... was really incredible and something you could never have predicted. I think we take it for granted when a lot people thought she was over and would just fade after AP. if she wanted to "do good" and send a message that was it. Its if you get knocked down, get back up and fight back and don ever give up. Thats probably the thing Im most proud of her about. Although I am also proud of her for risking her career to put out the BTW message.

M I M I Z

I knew she was going down the minute she released BTW (the single) and I said it before she will never recover from this mistake.

So sad, she had so much potential to have a very successful career.

ReidOne
Just now, shane_c said:

I didnt say it wasn't the right thing to do morally, just that it damaged her career and led to her decline. Those are two different things. We can both be right. 

And I just want to add that she's made an amazing comeback that may even be more impressive than when she was at her peak. That whole period after C2C, to the Grammys, sound of music, I wish, Super Bowl, AHS..... was really incredible and something you could never have predicted. I think we take it for granted when a lot people thought she was over and would just fade after AP. if she wanted to "do good" and send a message that was it. Its if you get knocked down, get back up and fight back and don ever give up. Thats probably the thing Im most proud of her about. Although I am also proud of her for risking her career to put out the BTW message.

Ahhh... I see what you are saying and I agree. Indeed, I believe we are both right! 

And I totally agree with your sentiments in that last post. The resilience of her spirit the last 2 years has been fascinating and inspiring to watch. 

tomsches

I saw her downfall even before she was at her peak. I remember when Bad Romance was released and I was like "I hope it's not gonna flop", "She's going to be over one day"

DeanWinchester

@shane_c and @M I M I Z are both correct

I remember I was in /mu/ of 4chan, and mind you they are very elitist and think pop is ****, but one day they were discussing who had the potential to be the next most powerful pop superstar

most of them said Gaga if she continued her TF/M hits and persona and they added that she ruined her chance with BTW. It was a pretty solid and serious discussion, which is rare for 4chaneros so yeah

I looove BTW though. I hope she could really win the GP back with LG5

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

I did expect it because even with her popularity, people still did not like her or get her and sow her as a shallow gimmick pop star that wanted attention... I did not expect it to be this fast though, I can even see Gaga as someone really successful but she will always be remembered for what she did.

Helxig

I still don't see a 'downfall'.

I think there's some mass hysteria going on in this fandom.

Everyone has spoken soooo much about her popularity slipping, and how they don't like her doing side projects and taking things slow, and bounced these thoughts off one another, that y'all have convinced yourselves that something much more dramatic has happened, like she's lost her career or something :laughga:

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Weasel

I think everyone gave her a REALLY bad time with ARTPOP. It's shocking how the performance / execution of one album can change everything so much. I certainly did not expect the era to take off like that with these consequences. However, I still have hopes for her. All we need is a catchy solid song. If she delivers with LG5, I'm sure she can regain popularity. I think this fanbase looks way too much into does the gp like her, does the gp care about her and such when the truth is that nobody gives a **** who sings what as long as it's catchy. Heck, I could even have a hit single if the stars were aligned :koons:

I can't think of any popular artist that has never ''flopped''. Maybe Katy, but her day will come (and her latest singles besides Roar / Dark Horse didn't do well from what I can remember). 

Archived