Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I hate how young singers nowadays sing with that 'pretentious' voice

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

RadioIsOurs

You know, that voice..? The voice that teenagers like to use to create that twang, to fake that cool, hip indie sound? That voice many amateur contestants on singing shows use to make people think they above average? You know what imma just give some examples:

I know they might not be the best examples, but you should know what I'm talking about, because you would have stumbled upon so many young singers on youtube singing like that. That fake, 'country' twang where they over-accentuate certain vowels to make it seem like they know what the hell they're doing (be sure to make dramatic facial expressions while doing that too...). I mean they might not even be bad singers, but they just sing like that, because...why?

It's so annoying and overblown by now. Just makes this generation of singers seem less talented that the previous ones. I feel singers were more natural back then, and had real POWER. But now teens can just pick up a microphone and fake 'good' singing..

Edit: After doing more research I realised that this phenomenon is called the 'indie girl voice' that everyone has been using nowadays, which was also inspired by the 'baby voice' phenomenon which is the whole reason behind that twang.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TropicOfCANCER

a HUGE pet peeve of mine also. A good example of this is Halsey.

ReidOne

I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about before I even played the clips!! Yes, preach!!!!! I cannot stand the pretension. 

And let's be honest --- they do this to mask their actual inadequacies as vocalists. 

GagaXCupcakke

That girl that sings Here. 

She's all over the radio and she's soooooo pretentious.  

Pablo

:green:

Passenger is English so he can't help his accent
:wtf:

Can you post more examples? Because I feel like they aren't good examples for what you are trying to explain.

Don't visit my profile

Sizzily

God, I hate that ****. But you know whats worse? That god awful voice cracking kind of singing where it sounds like they are struggling. I am so glad Gaga sings very outwardly. 

Here's an example at 0:55. I want to stick an ice pick through my ears.

One Banned Boi

RadioIsOurs
2 minutes ago, Pablo said:

:green:

Passenger is English so he can't help his accent
:wtf:

Can you post more examples? Because I feel like they aren't good examples for what you are trying to explain.

Ok. The Alessia Cara one is a perfect example I think.

Seeka

Though there are some good things coming from this generation of singers. I love how many singers now sound like you can't tell their gender, such as Alex Hope in Blue, Ruth B in Lost Boys, and the singer from in My Mind.

RadioIsOurs
Just now, Seeka said:

Though there are some good things coming from this generation of singers. I love how many singers now sound like you can't tell their gender, such as Alex Hope in Blue, Ruth B in Lost Boys, and the singer from in My Mind.

We already had Cher :green:

Pablo
2 minutes ago, RainbowBlonde said:

Ok. The Alessia Cara one is a perfect example I think.

I see! Not everyone can be a Mariah

tumblr_norhn3DuDq1rwlt9so1_500.jpg.037ff

Don't visit my profile

RadioIsOurs
Just now, Pablo said:

I see! Not everyone can be a Mariah

tumblr_norhn3DuDq1rwlt9so1_500.jpg.037ff

How about her lovely disciple here?

RadioIsOurs
Just now, djBuffoon said:

Agreed. Daya ("Hideaway") is almost a parody of this sound. 

OH MY keep coming with those great examples yall!

You're right that it doesn't work for everyone, but it doesn't really bother me tbh. At the end of the day you can't really fake being a good singer you either are or you aren't regardless of your technique I guess.

Archived