Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

People misunderstood Gaga's "Character" Comments

Jed

Featured Posts

When Jamie Lee Curtis asked Gaga if she was playing a character as Gaga the answer I got seemed to be much different than the ones picked up by many monsters here. The line that stuck out to me was "Gaga is what other people called me when I was at my best" and to me explained perfectly the moniker "Gaga" and why she is more comfortable not using it all the time.

In this Ted Talk (you dont have to watch it) Amy Cuddy talks about her time at an Ivy League school and how she faked her confidence until she became a confident person. She was always intelligent she just didn't believe in herself enough to speak up. I believe with Gaga it is much the same. Having Gaga gave her this impenetrable strength, an ability to go above and beyond even when your body and mind are beyond exertion. Now that she 30 she's reached a new chapter in her life, one where she doesn't need the power that "Gaga" gave her as much as she used to. She will always have it, and she will always rely on it, but she doesn't need it anymore.

I think if you look at her comments this way, it doesn't feel like the "betrayal" some of you painted it to be.

LebaneseDude
2 minutes ago, Jed said:

. Now that she 30 she's reached a new chapter in her life, one where she doesn't need the power that "Gaga" gave her as much as she used to. She will always have it, and she will always rely on it, but she doesn't need it anymore.

:applause:

Edited just now by LebaneseDude.

Giorno Giovanna

Gaga often said that she walked around New York City like she was a superstar, so long until it became reality.

このジョルノジョヴァンナ夢がある

August Blue

She changed the music with gaga and made it  to be the biggest musician for like 6 years.. The world already got what she wanted to give .. Its like a mission accomplished. So she doesnt need to be the exact same anymore,plus she is 30.. of course things will change

MonsterOfSpain

I just think Gaga and Stefani are the same person... I never saw Gaga as a character tbh :shrug: That's why it feels strange listening to her saying it was one.

2 minutes ago, MonsterOfSpain said:

I just think Gaga and Stefani are the same person... I never saw Gaga as a character tbh :shrug: That's why it feels strange listening to her saying it was one.

But that's not really what she said. She said she's always living as that Gaga person on one level but it isn't all of her

kabirartfling

Really nice, & decent thread :hug:! You definately did ur homework rather than rant about how she has changed :hug:

Give your love to me

Didymus

Basically exactly what she said at the Emotion Revolution event last year.

I'm conflicted about that though. I mean, we always knew that even if she didn't tell us so literally. Now she did, but that means the spell is broken. Her lie was more effective imo. So I'm almost wishing she'd just drop the name and find a new one. Or just choose her own name to continue with.

I get that that's a marketing disaster but.. that almost makes me feel she was wrong to explain her career tactics so literally, for no reason (imo anyway, 'cause I'd be very surprised if people who really cared to observe her career closely didn't already feel this way about her act based on the comments she's made from 2008 onwards without her having to explain it like this).

2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Basically exactly what she said at the Emotion Revolution event last year.

I'm conflicted about that though. I mean, we always knew that even if she didn't tell us so literally. Now she did, but that means the spell is broken. Her lie was more effective imo. So I'm almost wishing she'll just drop the name and find a new one. Or just choose her own name.

If I were her I might either hate the Gaga moniker or embrace it as one embraces their past. 

Didymus
1 minute ago, Biotic said:

If I were her I might either hate the Gaga moniker or embrace it as one embraces their past. 

teas :green:

MaryJaneHolland

Bc Gaga makes those answers so f*cking difficult and hard to understand :duck:

eifulien

Well, the way I see it somewhat similar, I guess. I think certain parts of what "Gaga" gave to Stefani is no longer necessary cause it's already merged into Stefani. But that doesn't mean Gaga was a character. I will try to explain.

Stefani in her early 20s is somewhat insecure. She is the outcast and so on. She, however, always had the ambition, the passion, the guts to make it into the industry, but maybe these strong traits were not obvious for the rest. Stefani becoming "Gaga" was a way for her to transition or let's say to reveal that side of her that she kept aside. Gaga was the fire inside Stefani. So in a way Stefani gave that fire, that confidence, fearlessness a name. As the time passed by, she was more and more confident and comfortable with this isde of her character, Hence Stefani was appreciating her power, her being direct, honest, outspoken, etc. And now we are observing the merging of this side to Stefani. Stefani at 30, is much more stronger than Stefani at 20. She already accepted the Gaga side in herself. I.e. Stefani acted Gaga until she became Gaga. It's a bit twisted. But that's how I see it. She wasn't confident enough, so she pushed herself to the Gaga level of strength until she reached it. It's the thought - I want to be that confident powerful woman. So Gaga was a  treshold of sorts for her to achieve. 

And maybe now she is done, she's succeeded. Ofc Gaga is also an expression of her bizarreness especially when it comes to fashion. I think last year or in 2014 she explained how on a normal day she doesn't need to wear those outfits, but when she feels strange she let it out through Gaga and her dresses. 

And honestly, I don't see much of a contradiction, apart from the appearance/outfits stuff. She just shed light from different places and states of mind - The Fame v. ARTPOP v. CTC eras.

Archived